Chilton County gets new Marine recruiter

By Ashley McCartney (Contact) | Clanton Advertiser

Published Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Like many seniors in high school, Jason Fehrer joined the military straight after graduation. His choice of combat training was the United States Marine Corps.

He started out his military career in boot camp at Parris Island. After graduating from boot camp, he took his training a step further by taking a Marine Combat Training Camp at Lejuene, N.C.

"I really enjoyed being in the military after I started. I still enjoy my work and I have been able to go many places since my training," he said.

After camp he went to California, where he went through a year of communication school to become a radio technician. These skills came in handy in Japan where he was stationed for a year.

"I was given the opportunity to visit many World War II tunnels and see many unique things that I may not have ever had the opportunity to visit or see if it had not been for my military experience," he said.

When he finished his work in Japan, Fehrer traveled back to Parris Island where he became a staff member for the rifle range. He worked both as a tower non-commanding officer (N.C.O.) and a line staff leader. In both positions he was in charge of keeping an eye on new recruits to make sure they were shooting properly.

"It was a lot of work, and it took a lot of patience to make sure that the Marines in training were holding their guns properly and were shooting efficiently," he said. "I really enjoyed getting to spend time helping to lead them through."

It was during his three-year stay at the rifle range at Parris Island where Fehrer met his wife, Valerie. She was working with the Navy at a dental center where Fehrer went to have his teeth cleaned.

"From the moment we met, I knew she was the right girl for me," he said. "It was exactly three months to the day that we met when we were married, and we have been together ever since."

The couple now has two kids, a daughter and a son.

He was stationed in California for another year where he took another course and then went back to Camp Lejuene, where he stayed for three years. He then decided to take another course in Marine Combat Instruction of Water Survival. The course took place in California, and Fehrer said it was the most demanding course he had ever been through.

"Looking back, it was one of my prouder moments for myself to know I went through a course that very few people ever make it all the way through. It was one of my bigger accomplishments," he said.

He then had a seven-month tour in Iraq and, upon his arrival back home, went through recruiting school and has been stationed in Prattville for the past three months. With Clanton falling within his recruiting range, Fehrer says he is looking forward to getting to meet more people from out community.

To find out more information, you can contact Fehrer by e-mail at jason.fehrer@marines.usmc.mil.

-Ashley McCartney can be reached at ashley.mccartney@clantonadvertiser.com.

Ellie