Underweight Problems
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Underweight Problems

Hi everyone, just wanting to see if anyone has any advice for me.
    I finished up MEPS processing on Monday and figured out that I'm 3 pounds above the minimum weight for my height.
    I weigh 130, the minimum is 127.
    They have me scheduled to ship on Sept. 22nd 08.
    Does anyone know a quick way to build up the muscle I need for the extra weight and physical requirements?
    I can't even do the pull-ups yet or the 1.5 mile run.
    I can run 2 miles in 20 minutes, and 83 crunches in 2 minutes.
    Someone has suggested I take creatine to help build muscle mass, but I can't find any good workout regiments for underweight people.

Help is much appreciated

Read the rules and fill out your profile if you want an answer.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry.. but I'm not really computer savvy and can't figure out what I need to fill in

Credits
    Savings
    Done.

Im guessing you eat alot huh?

Eat alot, lift weights, do pull ups. You've only got a month though, and that ain't much time to do anything.

And DON'T take creatine. It's water weight. You need lean mass.

And I really hope you can do at least a few pull ups.

Credits
    Savings
    So Creatine won't help physical strength other than just making me look bigger?
    Should I eat mainly carbs too?

Protein and Amino Acids. Weight gainer from GNC has protein and amino acids. Mix it up with milk and drink it with your meals. Work out more and you'll be fine.

get off the computer and work out.

As Mark Rippetoe would say: Do more squats.

Drink 1 gallon of whole milk a day, divided throughout the day. Drink a glass or two in the morning. A glass or two for a snack. A glass or two for lunch. Etc.

That's upwards of 3,000 calories in milk, alone, perfectly divided into ample protein, carbs and fat; combined with your regular diet, this should be plenty to gain. You WILL gain fat as well, but proportionally, the lean mass you gain should be able to handle it.

A note: you won't gain the lean mass, unless you're stimulating your muscles. That means heavy lifts, low reps. Do it safely. See a lifting coach if you have to, and explain your situation. Do squats, deadlifts, bench presses and shoulder/military presses. Don't screw around with curls or anything like that. You want compound lifts.

It's possible to put on 5 to 10 pounds of lean body mass in a month if you play your cards right. Don't screw around with supplements.

Grease the groove for your pull-ups or try a day or two of weighted pull-ups each week. For the run... well... plenty of threads on that already.

A month is plenty of time for you to get extra lean mass, and pull-up numbers. It's not always enough to get your running in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer0311 View Post
    Protein and Amino Acids. Weight gainer from GNC has protein and amino acids. Mix it up with milk and drink it with your meals. Work out more and you'll be fine.
    I work with someone who takes those supps. He ****s twice an hour, every hour, until he goes to sleep.

the min. weight for me is 115 and I'm 130. Hurray for being short!

Eat more than 2,000 calories a day. Eat until you want to throw up and hold it in. After I joined the DEP I went to Waffle House every day for three weeks in the morning and had: a double order of 'browns, toast, OJ, two glasses of whole milk, a bowl of chili (it's good anytime), and and egg 'n cheese omlet.

I felt like I wanted to puke for the first week, but after that I noticed I could fill up with more food. Then I started to eat a little more heath-conscience, but when you're out of a job it's SO much easier to use a quick buck on Wendy's than it is to dish out cash for real food (like sirloin and grilled chicken.)

Brewer is right, my recruiter said to take Amino Acids and Protein shakes (make sure you look at the calorie and fat calorie content) to get bulkier.

I wish I had this problem instead of the other way around. Haha

Thread Information