Please Help a Mom Understand - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kschmidt View Post
    I can do nothing BUT support him; after all, that's my job. I've raised him to be an honorable young man, to know his mind and to be strong and independent. How can I back down from that now? What I am having difficulty with is the response from well-meaning people ( I guess they are well-meaning!), who sort of cringe and shake their heads in disbelief that I support my son in his decision to be a Marine. Do I want him hurt or killed? Of course not. It's like they think I'm a bad mother because I want him to go, follow his dreams. I guess I just don't get it.
    Well done on raising a fine son. I heard so many negative things when my son's joined and left the same day for boot camp. People had the nerve to ask me why I would send them off to die. I just didn't feed in to the junk they were spreading and stayed loyal and loving to my son's. My youngest gave me the best response to the jerks...He told me to tell them.."Your welcome, because of my son's fighting for your freedom, you have the right to say that." You will hear many lovely things too. I have a Proud Mom of Two Marines on my car and I can't even begin to tell you how many Marines have said, "Semper Fi" to me and many others just saying, "thank you". Just one Semper Fi from a Marine, negates all the other negatives and makes my heart swell with pride. It truly is a wonderful brotherhood.

I hope he gets his 03 slot...best of luck to him.

Semper Fi MarineMaMa!!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    marinemama, that reminds me of a t-shirt Cpl. Seeley had a couple years ago.

Front: Got Freedom?
    Back: Then thank a United States Marine.

Heh. Love that.

Luckily some folks can be educated. I feel like those that sling crap are just losing out on the experience to either be a Marine or to know a Marine. In my book both are an honor and a privilege. So, their loss, I feel sorry for them.

I know for a fact from the interactions I've had with Marines on this site and Marines out in the world (and there are lot of them out there!) that there is no one I would rather have watching my six (figuratively speaking of course) than one of them.

That knowledge makes it easy to dismiss the mud slingers.

What I am having difficulty with is the response from well-meaning people ( I guess they are well-meaning!), who sort of cringe and shake their heads in disbelief that I support my son in his decision to be a Marine. Do I want him hurt or killed? Of course not. It's like they think I'm a bad mother because I want him to go, follow his dreams. I guess I just don't get it.

First off let me be speak freely. I do not like people who sit there and look down on those of us who choose to serve our country and also serve in the infantry. I did 4 years as a grunt and went to Iraq, people like that bother me. But it is their voice and they can speak it freely. Second they may sound well-meaning but what your son wants to do is something above himself. Something that those "well-meaning" people probably know nothing about. He wants to serve his country and that is very honorable regardless of his MOS. Don't sweat those comments you have nothing but my support for your willingness to allow your son to follow his dreams. I wish there where more Mom's out there like yourself. Know that if your son dose earn the title Marine that regardless of what his MOS is, he is doing something noble and patriotic something that not a lot of people choose to do and if he decides to get out after 4 years just being a US Marine will open thousands of doors for him in the civilian life. OOH-RAH!

Cpl. Butler, Emerson (Disabled OIF Combat Veteran)

Maybe he is smart enough to do a job more than be a infantry man, i wanted infantry but ended up in a nother MOS that better suited my meager talents that i had at 18.
    the Corps puts the people with the right qualls from there test fit the need. quit squabballing, to wear the globe and anchor no matter your job is an honor. cpl mac257

I agree with you butler, no matter what your job it's all important, and to wear the globe and anchor is an honor in it's self, "semper-fi"

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wishboneusmc View Post
    If your son wants to be a grunt and he scored well enough have him consider 0211 or something in the intel field. They deploy often with the grunts and it is quite maretable when he gets out as well
    Last time I checked, 0211 requires a lat move as a sergeant, or a corporal about to be promoted to sergeant. Usually requires a re-enlistment too.

I didn't know i answered a thread but if it helped, that''s all that count's"semper fi"
    "Fedeli Certa Merces"

Credits
    Savings
    Praise God for you, Mom. If this country had more Moms like you we would have more Sons like yours. This is something this Country has been missing for a long time. I remember the last thing my Mom said to me when I left for PI in 64." Givem Hell Son and remember, Mom's Prayibg for ya".

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

counterchick

HI,
    I had people ask me at work why I signed for my son to join. I told em it's what he wants to do, how can you not want your son do what he wants in life? He was in the DEP program and was due to go in in Feb, got a call in Nov to have him go in now. Just asked him if he wanted to and like he said might as well, lol kids. He's been in almost 5 years now and I couldn't be prouder.

Carolyn

The fact that you folks support 'your' kids choice of life changing service, elevates you all about 10 clicks higher than soccer mom. Congratulations

Bring that young man on lets see where his heads at.

--->Dave

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    My Son is in Infantry, and I could not be more proud of him. He loves his Country and takes his job very seriously. I think you should be super proud of your son who sounds like a decent young man who also wants to support and protect his Country!!

Credits
    Savings
    Thank You for your support of your son. It makes a big difference in him, esspecially when he ships out.
    What was, is the recruiters MOS? Did he have a bad experience as a grunt? It's a little odd that he would be so quick to say no. There are a lot of good MOS's for those with good scores. Talk to the recruiter more, don't be afraid to dig for answers.
    Good Luck.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My son is also an infantry marine - a Sgt. now - and I had to deal with the "well-meaning" folks, including some teachers, who wanted to know how I could support his decision to join the Corps.

Just tell them the same thing I did - the reason you can ask that question is because young men and women have joined the Corps since 1776 - they are the reason you can have your opinion and I have mine, as does my son.

And you are NOT a bad mother - you did your job well. He understands that Honor, COurage and Committment really mean something and wants to be part of it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Ah

I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've unsuccessfully searched for these answers and I'm hoping somebody here can help. My son is a "wannabee", soon to turn 17 and go to his first MEPS. He will be in DEP as soon as he turns 17. He has already taken the ASVABs in school and did quite well. At our first meeting with the recruiter, my son told him that he wanted an infantry MOS and the recruiter started shaking his head "No" immediately. He said he wouldn't put him in an infantry MOS unless that was the only way my son would sign. My son wants to be a Marine, he has always wanted to be a Marine, and in the end I know he doesn't really care what MOS he has. But he also wants to be a grunt, at least for the first part of his career. He says that after the first enlistment he would consider a lat move to maybe MSG or something, more to satisfy Mom's desire for him to have a "marketable" training than anything. But my question is this: why would the recruiter so adamently oppose him joining as an 03XX?

Madam, All Marines are 0311's we're first grunts then secondary MOS.

Thread Information