Please Help a Mom Understand - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi,

I apologize if this is irrelevant, but could it be because of his physical capabilities?

I myself am a 17 year old Marine wannabe. My recruiter said that he wouldn't put me in Infantry because I've never played sports. Obviously, it isn't becuase you need to know how to play sports to be a Marine, but what he said is that it's his job to put recruits where they have the best job of succeeding. He said that since I haven't played sports or done something like that, that I haven't put my body to the same lengths as someone who's done sports has, and I'm not going to be as in shape. They need the most physically fit recruits to be Infantry.

I'm sorry if any of that was confusing, or if it was irrelevant to the thread. I'm just trying to point out another possible reason. I hope your son gets his desired MOS and earns his title.

-Aitrus

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    No, his physical capabilities are not an issue. He's 6'1", 185 lbs, and has played travel hockey since he was 5. For the past two years, he played on two teams, which means he only had two months off of hockey. He's in pretty good condition.

I really appreciate everybody's replies. It is so encouraging to hear your comments! I'll let you all know what happens in a month when he turns 17 and signs DEP. Oh, and by the way, the recruiter called Saturday; my son told him that he was still interested in infantry, maybe machine gunner. I guess the recruiter sighed and said, we'll talk about that later.

I guess we will!

Credits
    Savings

Grunt

Well mam, first what was his ASVAB score -was it high? Well, being a grunt is the choice of the people whom don't score well, second once you are infantry you stay infantry if that makes any sense. After your mos classification training that is what you are really stuck in. And it takes a long time to get out of it and there is the other side of it- death rate is higher -I'm sorry. If he becomes a grunt serves his time and re-enlists he can choose a different mos. The United States Marine Corp goal is to make better Marines-the ultimate elite warrior. And for those whom have the brains, they want them to use them to better serve there country. Like is a high school grad with a 2.5 gpa going to be a officer or will the kid with a 3.5 or higher? But all Marines are smarter than people really think, When I enlisted my recruiter said the same thing too me. So I chose a MOS in the Aerospace field, I finished my BA, graduated from OCS and BASICS to become a USMC Officer. And then I went to flight school, now at heart I am a hardcore infantry Marine but I chose to use my knowledge and I'll never regret any of it. Encourage you son to use what god gave him, but when he gets to Paris Island late one night and stands on those yellow footsteps that that thousands of Marines past have stood. And he passes the thru those silver doors, he will be scared unsure if he made the right decision. You will get a short simple abrupt phone call in the night and it might scare you too. But when the day comes that he is standing tall and looking sharp at graduation, he will hold out his hand and receive the symbol of the Marine and then in that instance, he will realize he has archived something that at a time he could not. And that is what a Marine is, Honor, Courage and Commitment-Our ethos our life. So it really dose'nt matter what he wants to do- as long as he serves his country with dignity as a Marine should.

quote=kschmidt;379016]I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've unsuccessfully searched for these answers and I'm hoping somebody here can help. My son is a "wannabee", soon to turn 17 and go to his first MEPS. He will be in DEP as soon as he turns 17. He has already taken the ASVABs in school and did quite well. At our first meeting with the recruiter, my son told him that he wanted an infantry MOS and the recruiter started shaking his head "No" immediately. He said he wouldn't put him in an infantry MOS unless that was the only way my son would sign. My son wants to be a Marine, he has always wanted to be a Marine, and in the end I know he doesn't really care what MOS he has. But he also wants to be a grunt, at least for the first part of his career. He says that after the first enlistment he would consider a lat move to maybe MSG or something, more to satisfy Mom's desire for him to have a "marketable" training than anything. But my question is this: why would the recruiter so adamently oppose him joining as an 03XX?[/quote]

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    because young men and women have joined the Corps since 1776
    Marinemom...Pat, the Marines started at Tun Tavern in Philly in 1775....some Marines at the time may have been so inebriated at that time that they didn't realize what the hell they did until 1776....but that may be another history story!

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jhi033 View Post
    Well mam, first what was his ASVAB score -was it high? Well, being a grunt is the choice of the people whom don't score well, second once you are infantry you stay infantry if that makes any sense. After your mos classification training that is what you are really stuck in. And it takes a long time to get out of it and there is the other side of it- death rate is higher -I'm sorry. If he becomes a grunt serves his time and re-enlists he can choose a different mos. The United States Marine Corp goal is to make better Marines-the ultimate elite warrior. And for those whom have the brains, they want them to use them to better serve there country. Like is a high school grad with a 2.5 gpa going to be a officer or will the kid with a 3.5 or higher? But all Marines are smarter than people really think, When I enlisted my recruiter said the same thing too me. So I chose a MOS in the Aerospace field, I finished my BA, graduated from OCS and BASICS to become a USMC Officer. And then I went to flight school, now at heart I am a hardcore infantry Marine but I chose to use my knowledge and I'll never regret any of it. Encourage you son to use what god gave him, but when he gets to Paris Island late one night and stands on those yellow footsteps that that thousands of Marines past have stood. And he passes the thru those silver doors, he will be scared unsure if he made the right decision. You will get a short simple abrupt phone call in the night and it might scare you too. But when the day comes that he is standing tall and looking sharp at graduation, he will hold out his hand and receive the symbol of the Marine and then in that instance, he will realize he has archived something that at a time he could not. And that is what a Marine is, Honor, Courage and Commitment-Our ethos our life. So it really dose'nt matter what he wants to do- as long as he serves his country with dignity as a Marine should.

quote=kschmidt;379016]I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've unsuccessfully searched for these answers and I'm hoping somebody here can help. My son is a "wannabee", soon to turn 17 and go to his first MEPS. He will be in DEP as soon as he turns 17. He has already taken the ASVABs in school and did quite well. At our first meeting with the recruiter, my son told him that he wanted an infantry MOS and the recruiter started shaking his head "No" immediately. He said he wouldn't put him in an infantry MOS unless that was the only way my son would sign. My son wants to be a Marine, he has always wanted to be a Marine, and in the end I know he doesn't really care what MOS he has. But he also wants to be a grunt, at least for the first part of his career. He says that after the first enlistment he would consider a lat move to maybe MSG or something, more to satisfy Mom's desire for him to have a "marketable" training than anything. But my question is this: why would the recruiter so adamently oppose him joining as an 03XX?
    [/quote]

On my son's behalf, I will have to disagree with that statement. He did very well on his ASVAB and chose to go Infantry.

Marine Family Free Member DevsDad's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Well mam, first what was his ASVAB score -was it high? Well, being a grunt is the choice of the people whom don't score well
    So I chose a MOS in the Aerospace field, I finished my BA, graduated from OCS and BASICS to become a USMC Officer. And then I went to flight school, now at heart I am a hardcore infantry Marine but I chose to use my knowledge and I'll never regret any of it.

jhi033, Thank you for your service and meaning no disrespect...but... what in the hell are you talking about? Your post rambles around and is for the most part positive of the ENTIRE Corps but then digresses into elitist, self edifying pog crap before returning to a more positive course. Please show me the disconnect because I'm not seeing where you were a Grunt anywhere in your service history. Perhaps you left that chapter out of your career. My son also scored very well and yet still chose Infantry, in fact he signed an open 03 contract! I am not a wanna be, I am in fact a neverwas but as a very proud father of a GRUNT I take exception to your comments concerning the intellegence of 03's. I certainly hope that some poor stupid Grunts were around and were at least smart enough to protect your pog butt if you ever needed it.

To all my Marine friends here I am sorry and will take your rath if you feel I have been disrespectfull but I think those of you that have read any of my few posts will know how much respect I have for you all.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsDad View Post
    Well mam, first what was his ASVAB score -was it high? Well, being a grunt is the choice of the people whom don't score well
    So I chose a MOS in the Aerospace field, I finished my BA, graduated from OCS and BASICS to become a USMC Officer. And then I went to flight school, now at heart I am a hardcore infantry Marine but I chose to use my knowledge and I'll never regret any of it.

jhi033, Thank you for your service and meaning no disrespect...but... what in the hell are you talking about? Your post rambles around and is for the most part positive of the ENTIRE Corps but then digresses into elitist, self edifying pog crap before returning to a more positive course. Please show me the disconnect because I'm not seeing where you were a Grunt anywhere in your service history. Perhaps you left that chapter out of your career. My son also scored very well and yet still chose Infantry, in fact he signed an open 03 contract! I am not a wanna be, I am in fact a neverwas but as a very proud father of a GRUNT I take exception to your comments concerning the intellegence of 03's. I certainly hope that some poor stupid Grunts were around and were at least smart enough to protect your pog butt if you ever needed it.

To all my Marine friends here I am sorry and will take your rath if you feel I have been disrespectfull but I think those of you that have read any of my few posts will know how much respect I have for you all.

Dude needs to fill out his profile, huh? His user title says "Marine Friend" yet he claims to be an officer.

Color me skeptical. And I would say yours and ScottsMoms reactions are perfectly reasonable given your experiences as parents of grunts.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    AMEN! DevsDad! My son, tigger, also made a choice to go Infantry, and his ASVAB was good, as well - granted he has added other MOS's in his time in, but he is still first and foremost Infantry - like his Dad.

jhi033 - I think you had better rethink your comments - there is nothing like the wrath of a Marine parent, trust me.

I'm a DEP'er and I was surprised by how honorable, honest, and diligent Marine recruiters are (I had a bad experience with one army recruiter). I am in the same situation as your son, wanting to go infantry even though I had high qualifications, but my recruiter still tried to make sure I was making the right choice for myself. He asked me why I was joining the Marine Corps: if I had plans to continue college or not. When I said I would definitely work towards earning a degree one day he told me that I'd be too busy in infantry to probably take any courses during my enlistment and asked me if that would still be what I wanted. I told him that of course I was still okay with postponing my education. Then he told me that infantry is also hard to apply to the real world in terms of technical skills you can carry over into civilian jobs. From my experiences, Marine recruiters are so standup I'm sure your son's recruiter is just looking out for him.

So good luck to your son and you. You are an awesome mom for being so supportive. What reasons does he have for going infantry? I'm pretty set on infantry as well. Only thing I want. But I can never seem to be able to explain to people why I want to go infantry. Still, I'm going infantry and hoping to move towards becoming a hard-working grunt when I ship to bootcamp October 14th. In the end, I am grateful to the great recruiters at Rio Pinar station in Orlando, FL.

I qualed for every MOS in the Corps except MP because I didn't have a drivers liscence. I went guaranteed Infantry and loved every....well most every minute of it. I have said this before and will again. Why be a Marine when you can work on aircraft or type or whatever in any other branch when you can be a grunt in the Corps

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewebe View Post
    I qualed for every MOS in the Corps except MP because I didn't have a drivers liscence. I went guaranteed Infantry and loved every....well most every minute of it. I have said this before and will again. Why be a Marine when you can work on aircraft or type or whatever in any other branch when you can be a grunt in the Corps

To serve other Marines! Every MOS in the Marine Corps other than Grunts are in place to serve the Grunts. Personally I went in open contract because my recruiter told me all the 03 spots were filled for when I wanted to ship. I didn't care if I was a Grunt, or if I was supporting the Grunts. Either way. I did not know about the love/hate relationship between Grunts and POGs at the time but.....Grunts love me anyway....I am the Mailman! Everyone loves the Mailman!

Thread Information