Handguards
    M203 (As a team leader)
    CFK
    SL-3 Gear
    Cleaning Gear
    BFA
    3 Pt. Sling
    Broomstick/Bipod

I've purchased with my own money my smaller surefire and mount and a one point sling.

You'll find what you need to buy and what you don't and if it isn't obvious now, your gear will be based on your unit and MOS really.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So pistols are not issued unless your an officer, or a gunner? I thought it was standard issue across the board. Unless I'm wrong about the officers but I at one point I was told they are the only ones who carry the 1911 still, or is that wrong?

Edit: Left out the MP's that have a sidearm.

Last edited by nb2288; 08-14-08 at 06:36 PM. Reason: left out MP

Unless the Marine has an M4 they will have a pistol if they are: Officer, SNCO, Gunner, Driver, Some team leaders/squad leaders, the SOG, MPs, Armorers, and some other MOS related personnel.

Reserve units ARE different. A lot still have A2s and obviously don't have as many M4s and A4s. When they are activated they usually fall into better gear. I have seen very very few Marines in country with iron sights and none with A2s. I have seen Army with iron sights but they had M4s... Go figure.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Non-related personell,,,,,,, Me. 2841 ground radio repair. My issue weapon was a .45. But that was long ago. Used to have to wear it loaded working on Crypto equipment. Also had a grunt with an M16 assigned to me,,, loaded, watching my back.

Didn't know who was supposed to shoot who. Always wondered,,,,,,,,,

Become a Marine first, become highly proficient with you primary weapon. Investigate mods and upgrades all you want. Take one step at a time, and remember this, you won't carry any weapon until your properly trained and qualified to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer0311 View Post
    Unless the Marine has an M4 they will have a pistol if they are: Officer, SNCO, Gunner, Driver, Some team leaders/squad leaders, the SOG, MPs, Armorers, and some other MOS related personnel.

Reserve units ARE different. A lot still have A2s and obviously don't have as many M4s and A4s. When they are activated they usually fall into better gear. I have seen very very few Marines in country with iron sights and none with A2s. I have seen Army with iron sights but they had M4s... Go figure.

I don't know the last time someone was in courntry, but they changed a lot of rules recently.

you have to wear the nomex "flight suit" cover-alls when going outside the wire on a convoy, pistols are not issued as primary weapons anymore... M4s took their place... however armorers still wear them as do many officers who sit in the CP.... M4s are replacing the M9 as service weapons in country!!!!

ok so yeah... reserve units are getting their A4s as well... the GWOT funds are starting to pay off for reservists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post
    I don't know the last time someone was in courntry, but they changed a lot of rules recently.

you have to wear the nomex "flight suit" cover-alls when going outside the wire on a convoy, pistols are not issued as primary weapons anymore... M4s took their place... however armorers still wear them as do many officers who sit in the CP.... M4s are replacing the M9 as service weapons in country!!!!

ok so yeah... reserve units are getting their A4s as well... the GWOT funds are starting to pay off for reservists.
    I didn't know pistols were ever issued as a primary weapon. As far as I knew they were a side arm and the M16 was primary.

That's why they are issueing the M4s so that you don't "need" a side arm due to: 9mm having no range, stopping power, and etc., the logistics are easier becuase the M4 uses the same round as the M16, and I'm sure there are more reasons.

Flight suits and Frog suits are required by MCO for all "mobile units".

Glad to hear they are getting A4s now though. I just hope it is not from Fleet units that are getting M4s to replace their A4s.

I love the A4, but the stupid hand-guards always get me
    takes me forever to put them on!

I didn't know pistols were ever issued as a primary weapon. As far as I knew they were a side arm and the M16 was primary.

That's why they are issueing the M4s so that you don't "need" a side arm due to: 9mm having no range, stopping power, and etc., the logistics are easier becuase the M4 uses the same round as the M16, and I'm sure there are more reasons.

Glad to hear they are getting A4s now though. I just hope it is not from Fleet units that are getting M4s to replace their A4s.
    I dont think they come from the fleet. The ones I saw was brand new still with the packing grease on it.

Your unit should supply everything you need. The leadership provided should equip you well enough for your specific mission, and based on the capabilities on your individual unit armory. Some will get A2s/4s/M4s with appropriate attachments. Some Marines add their personal touches, but as long as it doesn't hinder the overall effectiveness of the weapon, you should be good to go.

Don't listen to the sourpusses talking smack because they think they demand some kind of respect from you. You asked a very legitimite question, and you deserve a good reply.

the Marine Corps doesn't swap old weapons from unit to unit like that.... maybe ECRd but never a permanant thing... it costs almost as much as buying new ones! hell we buy them for like 600 dollars anyway.

also, SNCOs who carry a 9MM and nothing else, while you are carrying a M-16... well what you are carrying around happens to be your primary weapon... so, yeah unless you are a machine gunner, what you have is primary.

M4s are much more practical for combat use due to it's shortened length. It's easier to maneuver in a tight spot like in a HMMWV, or in a cramped room while clearing. Also, it allows for more customization over the traditional A2.

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nb2288 View Post
    When it comes to accessories for your weapons. Is this something that is job related, rank related, or is it up to you to proved them?

Example: Forehand grip, or different sights.
    You will need bullets....( rounds ) Lot's of bullets.

hahaha, hopper.... good observation.

Thread Information