US citizen to be a tank crew?
Create Post

US citizen to be a tank crew?

Good afternoon Marines,

A couple of days ago my recruiter told me that since I am only a legal resident, I cannot be a tank crewman. I had already been in the DEP for months now and weeks before I ship, he tells me this, and I had been expecting and pumping myself up for this MOS. It's what I really wanted to do.

Instead, he offers me a slot in Motor Transportation (which happens to have a $10,000 signing bonus).

First of all, I find it hard to believe that I cannot be a tank crewman just because I'm not a citizen. I already had this MOS in my contract for months, and he knows about my status. Then he pushes me towards what he says is a "like-MOS", which is Motor Transport, which again I remind you guys has a signing bonus. He says I have a good chance of driving a tank if I pick that MOS. Is he just trying to fill up MOS slots that need filling by pretty much lying to me, or do I really need to be a US citizen to be a tank crewman.

He showed me on his laptop that any MOS under combat support required US citizenship but it could've been only for other MOS under combat support, and not tank crewman.

Although the $10,000 sounds appealing, I AM NOT DOING THIS FOR THE MONEY. And the one of the most common advice I hear on this messageboard is to choose my MOS wisely, as I will be doing it for a couple years. I am not gung-ho about driving a truck or being a mechanic all day.

Should I press my recruiter for the truth, or is he already telling the truth? I do not want to come off as if I think he is lying because I respect my recruiters a lot but I don't want to be played off as a fool at the same time.

I know it's a long post but thank you for your time!

Sounds hinky.
    You should stick to your MOS until they tell you at MEPS that you cannot have it.
    You have zero chance of driving a tank if you're in Motor T.

Wait just a minute now! I've been out of the Corps for a time, but are you telling me that we are actually paying people to go through boot camp and "A" school ? Is that what a "signing bonus" means?
    As for your question- I can tell you that recruiters have been conveniently leaving out facts in order to get you to sign since.........well at least 1980 that I know of.
    Seriously- "signing bonus"? And "choosing an MOS"? I must be misunderstanding this in my old age. I wonder if I can get retro pay with interest.

heh heh. Welcome to the future Sgt Scott.
    Yes, they are giving some nice bonuses for certain enlistment situations and much more for reenlistments. Times are tough for recruitment and retention.

Kid,
    Yes there are certain programs you can not get if your not a citizen. They wouldnt make that up, and there is nothing your recruiter or MEPS can do. That stuff come from HQMC. They set those standards.

From what I've heard there are some classified specs on M1A1 tanks that require a secret security clearance for those that operate and maintain them, thus the US citizen requirement. There was a tanker mech in my unit at K-Bay just because they needed someone on the island who was cleared for doing something with them just in case. I guess they put him in my unit because the who damn battalion is cleared.

Aloha 1st Rad, who were you with on Kbay?

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    Aloha 1st Rad, who were you with on Kbay?
    1st Radio Bn

Thread Information