Short, Sweet, and to the Point.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Short, Sweet, and to the Point.

Hello Marines,

My name is Colby, I am 20 years old, I weight 230 pounds, and I have had a life long aspiration of being a Marine. No matter what happens I have decided I WILL join the Marine Corp, no matter what it takes. The problem is, should I join now, or later. I just got done reading another wannabe's post and someone said Man UP. Its interesting they said that, my best friend told me Yesterday to just Man up and join. The problem is, my Father made me promise I would Not join untill after I get my AA. However, recently I have been wondering if joining now would be an acceptable option. I literaly cannot stop talking about or thinking about or researching the Marine Corp. Right now I am a full time College Student, that plays roughly 10 hours average a day on the computer (i know pythetic right). I barely meet the physical requirements to join the Marine Corp, I think. If I did enlist, would I beable to continue my college education, with most my expenses paid and what not. And if i decide to become an officer instead of enlisting, what would be the best route to take? OCS? NROTC? PLC? Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read this, please forgive me for any typos I made.

EDIT: Just to throw this in there, my current living situation is great. My dad pays for everything as long as i maintain grades in College and attend full time.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Hello Marines,

My name is Colby, I am 20 years old, I weight 230 pounds, and I have had a life long aspiration of being a Marine. No matter what happens I have decided I WILL join the Marine Corp, no matter what it takes. The problem is, should I join now, or later. I just got done reading another wannabe's post and someone said Man UP. Its interesting they said that, my best friend told me Yesterday to just Man up and join. The problem is, my Father made me promise I would Not join untill after I get my AA. However, recently I have been wondering if joining now would be an acceptable option. I literaly cannot stop talking about or thinking about or researching the Marine Corp. Right now I am a full time College Student, that plays roughly 10 hours average a day on the computer (i know pythetic right). I barely meet the physical requirements to join the Marine Corp, I think. If I did enlist, would I beable to continue my college education, with most my expenses paid and what not. And if i decide to become an officer instead of enlisting, what would be the best route to take? OCS? NROTC? PLC? Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read this, please forgive me for any typos I made.

EDIT: Just to throw this in there, my current living situation is great. My dad pays for everything as long as i maintain grades in College and attend full time.
    Well you asked for it! Get off your computer and start a PT workout program! Lose some weight, change your eating habis to healthy foods.

As Far as your education, I believe you said your dad wanted you to wait until you get your AA, how long have you got until then? It sounds like you have a pretty sweet deal going for yourself son! Why upset a good thing, get your education then talk to a Officer recruiter and decide the best way to go, by then you MAY be in better shape as well!

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    10 hours a day!!!!

Man, I ain't even going there.

Last edited by Wyoming; 08-09-08 at 11:10 AM. Reason: i woulda got banned for my earlier thoughts, and remarks

from what I've seen and heard, you need to be in top physical condition to be accepted into any officer training

Credits
    Savings
    It would be about a year and a half before I get my AA. I guess that gives me plenty of time to get in the best possible shape I can be. Thank you all for the posts, I will start immediatly. First im going to take myself off the computer and play only an hour a day (is that alright?), then im going to go buy some healthy food (Any suggestions? Fruits? Veggies? Any certain meats i should avoid? Would a Salad covered with light ranch or some other light dressing, with slices of grilled chicken over it be good?)

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Colby,

Thank you for your commiment! But so far all I see is great intentions. What I mean by that is you can't get Marine Corps correct. First of all the Marine Corps is not a corp., sencondly listen to your dad it is a sweet deal don't blow it. This is only advise take it or leave it. Finish your degree first. In your senior year go to what is called OSO, Officer Selection Officer, call 800.marines, or since you spend so much time on the computer do a search. As Dave said start getting in shape and do push aways from the old feed bag. You spend 10 hours a day on the computer? I spend 9 hours a day working on user's computers because I am in IT. Do you spend so much time on the computer becasue of college courses?

I am interested just like the rest of us Marines, how things develope with the wannbees.

Gunny out

Credits
    Savings
    I apologize if I said Marine Corp in the wrong way, was not my intention. As far as the 10 hours on the computer, its a combination of first person shooters, massive multiplayer online role playing games, and researching the Marine Corp.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Ok so you don't

get attention to detail yet. IT IS NOT CORP...!!!! It is the Unnited States Marine Corps. If you are going to be a Marine get used to having attention to detail it can mean a Marine's life!

After you reply to me get off the damn computer and go for a walk to start on the correct path. You don't have to listen, but you opened up the pandoras box I am just responding. Stop taking this personal too, you get a lot farther.

There is an incrediable amount of knowledge here don't waste it!

Gunny out

Credits
    Savings
    Noted, thanks for setting me strait . Going for a long walk now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey Gunny.....he's still online! hehe

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Yes! I just went for a mile run, and I beat yesterdays record of 10 mins, got back in about 9 mins and 40 seconds. All I did different was I pushed myself a little harder. Im going to go for another run in about 4 hours, see if i can push myself a little harder.

Can anyone give me some running tips? like how to properly breath while running? Best type of shoe to wear, today and yesterday I wore pretty tight tennis shoes. Should I try wearing my heavyier "half boots" (where they dont come up the calf, they stop at the ankle)? I soupose it might be a good idea to run carrying extra weight? (perhaps a backpack full of potatos/school books? or just carry potato bags with me lol). By the way THIS SITE RULES!!! I dont think have found another site half as cool as this one. Also, I will do a search for running tips right now.

Credits
    Savings
    So this site is 'cool'.

Lemme tell you, you have got off damm easy.

10 hours on the computer at your age is sick. At any age it is sick, UNLESS it is part of your profession.

Wrokout and get in shape.

You appear to have a good attitude. It might be a good idea to report in weekly and get into shape.

You **** up, twist off, or be a smart ass, and your stock will go down fast.

As far as your Dad goes, if you are ~20, he must ~40. Invite him out for your run.

Quote Originally Posted by GySgtRet View Post
    After you reply to me get off the damn computer and go for a walk to start on the correct path. Gunny out

Semper Fi Gunny!

You've gotten all the advise you need son, what you do from here is up to you. Improvise Overcome Adapt Remember those words.

Listen to the Old Sarge son- if you made a promise to dad then keep your promise,you've got it made. Go to school for another 18 months or so and use that time to decide what you want to do in life. Don't join my Marine Corps because you think it's neat or cool or whatever. Do it because you want to be a Marine! And while you're busy deciding.........unless you are 6'3" or so,you'd best get off the 10 hour computer gig and start getting into some kind of basic conditioning. I don't know if they still do it, but during my time at Parris Island thay had a "fat bodies" platoon- some went there and came back to graduate and some were never heard from again.

Thread Information