Recon enlistment option?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Recon enlistment option?

Hello all,

I'm in the process of enlisting, and need to pick my MOS. I've narrowed it down to 3 main choices.

Infantry (Recon enlistment option)
    Crash, Fire, Rescue
    Combat Engineer
    *in that order

Some quick info on me first, I'm married and have a 3 year old daughter. She is on-board with anything I choose.

What is the expected deployments in these MOS?

If I take Infantry with the recon enlistment option, and are unable to pass the recon first time though. Would I be able to try again after X amount of time?

With these MOS's what would the chances of getting on base in Japan or Hawaii? (The Family would like to live in either of the two loc.)

I have a buddy who is wanting to join as well, if we both choose the same MOS route would we be able to go thought training together?

Last question: What are the rules on tattoos? I don't currently have any, but I do want to get some.

Thank you for your time!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I wish we had enough slots available in RECON for all that want it, but My GOD, everyone wants that. You need to read the rules and finish filling out your profile! Follow this link:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29048

Thanks,

Dave

Nick, Are you good with leaving your family?...Alot? Because no matter what MOS you go with, Marines are deployed alot. The Marine Corps is a Force in Readiness. I had to leave my 2 year old for a 6 month deployment (twice). That's some hard stuff man, You should really think about it...Later Kevin

Credits
    Savings
    I know its going to be hard. I'm prepared for it, as is my wife. I'm going to miss my little girl the most. But this is something that will help me be a better person for her.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by nb2288 View Post

Infantry (Recon enlistment option) RAMBO!!! Who's making the popcorn this time?

...and have a 3 year old daughter. She is on-board with anything I choose. and a 3 year old is on-board?? gimme a break!

going to miss my little girl the most. Well that ought to make the wifey pleased!

Dave, he answered a post, but it wasn't yours. Sad!!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165 View Post
    Dave, he answered a post, but it wasn't yours. Sad!!
    Not sure I follow...

Anyone else have any answers for me?

Thank you.

You have a daughter and a wife you really want to take the chance of you getting shot and there left without anyone? I would go Crash your the Marines Firefighter and after your 4 you got a career to support your family on. Then I would go CE under the journeymen program when you get out you could be a journeymen carpenter in the union. But unless your reserve then guess what your not going to get a specific MOS but a field so you would get 1300 Engineers or 0300 Infantry or 7000 airfield services.

Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate the information, ZSKI! I'm fully aware of the risks involved. After the corps, assuming I make it. I'm looking to either move into Fire Fighting, or Police work and possibly a stint in S.W.A.T. Hence the Recon idea.

Does anyone have any further answers?

Credits
    Savings
    *bump

Can anyone on here answer my questions?

What is the expected deployments in these MOS?
    If by deployment, you mean a trip to Afghanistan or Iraq, you can expect to do it at least once during a 4yr enlistment.

If I take Infantry with the recon enlistment option, and are unable to pass the recon first time though. Would I be able to try again after X amount of time?
    Probably, but interval depends on needs of the unit. They are not regularly scheduled. (this info changes all the time)

With these MOS's what would the chances of getting on base in Japan or Hawaii? (The Family would like to live in either of the two loc.)
    Chances are excellent if your request is granted. However, there used to be limitations on when your family can get to go with you (at the Corps expense) to Japan. You may have to be a certain rank to allow them to follow you. Maybe another Marine can answer this one.

I have a buddy who is wanting to join as well, if we both choose the same MOS route would we be able to go thought training together?
    The Buddy contract only ensures you'll go to boot camp together. If you get the same MOS, the timing may be right for you to go through school together, but there is no promise.

Last question: What are the rules on tattoos? I don't currently have any, but I do want to get some.
    You are better off not getting any before you enlist. You can search for several threads on tattoos here. Basically, anything that shows while you're in a t-shirt and running shorts is a problem. Also, anything that can be construed as gang or crime related will create problems for you as well.

I don't think the kid has a choice, does she? Or did she give two thumbs-up?

.. and possibly a stint in S.W.A.T.

I hear they are bringing The 6 Million Dollar Man TV show back, have you thought about that after your stint in Recon?

Seriously, once you put Recon in your post, especially the title, you tune out about 90% of the Marines on this site that might respond. The most you get is a few comments from guys like me that are bored at lunch.....

Just another wannabe recon loser. Go apply to Walmart security team.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your input.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your input.
    Aw come'on Ricky I was just heating the oil for the popcorn.

We Get A Lot Of Recon Wannabees Here That Is Why You Are Getting The Response You Are Getting.

Thread Information