USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Yes reserves can go to Bridgeport..I actually just got back from Bridgeport about a month ago. Thank god I didn't have to go during the winter yet...since my unit is going in Feb. I will soon experience that "cold" everyone is talking about. The mountains sure did kick your butt...But we got beer after our final 2 week FEX. Good times...

What years were you there?

Quote Originally Posted by MARINESS View Post
    I was an Instructor at MCMWTC for 3 years.
    What years were you there?

I was there from 1979 to 80 in supply.

Permanent Personnel or training unit in 79?

Quote Originally Posted by colt59 View Post
    (1) Sgt Bustamante with a huge pine cone that he has mistaken for his johnson. taken from on top the big rock. (2-5) scenery
    Were you permanent personnel or training unit in 79?

I was there from April 79 to June 80 Permanent personnel in supply.

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    What's this? They're closing it down? This is the first I've heard of that...
    They won't be closing anytime soon, Sgt.

Hey you guys.My daughters fiance is doing the army mountain warfare bit and is now in Afghanistan.I've been trying to get him to cross over to the few and the proud.Now he wants to be an instructor with a warant officer rank.Still trying.SF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Galt View Post
    Were you permanent personnel or training unit in 79?

I was there from April 79 to June 80 Permanent personnel in supply.
    I was TAD for training

Was there I believe in 60 went E&E school, Rock climbing and then30 days on snow skis entire Company were to be ski troops. Was not a lot of fun. We were trucked up to the top of the mnt and the first night slept in pup tents woke up to 3ft of new snow and then we put up squad tents with oil stoves in them. Some of those stoves blew up and made a awful mess of soot and smoke all over all you gear as well as you.. used a shower tent and got to use it tywice a week if I remember right. Fun place, never visited base camp only passed through coming and going rode a 6X6 from Pentalton there and back.

I just joined this website and found this thread. I do not see any current posts but I have been an instructor at Bridgeport for the last 3 1/2 years; 1st 8 months as an instructor for Mountain Survival and Evasion and the rest as Instructor/Chief Instructor for Animal Packing. Its the greatest gig a cowboy could hope for in the Marine Corps

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeeceSaddlery View Post
    I just joined this website and found this thread. I do not see any current posts but I have been an instructor at Bridgeport for the last 3 1/2 years; 1st 8 months as an instructor for Mountain Survival and Evasion and the rest as Instructor/Chief Instructor for Animal Packing. Its the greatest gig a cowboy could hope for in the Marine Corps
    Welcome Aboard Sgt Meese. We have quite few Cowboys on this ranch. Drives us Indin's crazy!

Facebook Group with some old Pickel Meadows troops

Hey all,

We have a group on Facebook with some fun stuff from Pickel Meadows troops from the past and present.

Come join us.

The group name is "Pickle Meadows Memories".

I know I misspelled Pickel when I set up the group, but you are dealing with old jarheads here, so it is amazing the thing got set up at all. LOL.

Thanks for your service present and past.

Semper Fi.

LCP Dan Galt

Awe the memories...
    Tent City... Tents burning... metal runways... Snowing in feet instead of inches ... Quonset huts... Raking Rocks ... Kitty ... Poo... John Marjonov... Robby .... Butch... ... Birmingham... Russ... Robby... 1980 - 1982 memories at pickel meadows Sgt Smith

Quote Originally Posted by csmithiowa View Post
    Awe the memories...
    Tent City... Tents burning... metal runways... Snowing in feet instead of inches ... Quonset huts... Raking Rocks ... Kitty ... Poo... John Marjonov... Robby .... Butch... ... Birmingham... Russ... Robby... 1980 - 1982 memories at pickel meadows Sgt Smith
    I was there a few times during this time frame. Do you remember us from HQ Bn. Comm Co.? The first time we went we stayed in the wooden comm hut down near the tents. After that the made us stay up on the hill with the base personnel in a quonset hut. Somebody figured out that comm hut was a fire trap.

Two brothers were base personnel. I don't think they were twins-what were their names? Also, there was an Iranian guy stationed there. Used to catch a lot of flak. I remember he identified himself as "Persian" to keep the heat off.

I talked with Ameriken about Reininger who was the bulk fuel operator at the pumps. Good guy. From Hudson MA near me.

I'd like to visit some day, but after so long, I know the only things that haven't changed are the mountains.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself.

I live about 2 hours from the good old Pickle Meadows, see it a couple times a year going over the Sonora Pass, sure has changed allot over the years, in 87 my wife and I spent our honeymoon at Levit Lodge Campground for 3 months while I was TAD, love that base, I was with Truck Co HQ BN 1 st Mar Div and dot Lucky to be TAD on numerous occasions from 85-88 until I went to Okinawa

Thread Information