Marine or not?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine or not?

Marine or not?

I want to get some thoughts from you guys about when and at what point can you consider yourself a Marine. I guy I work with said his brother went to boot camp and in Phase 3 was injured. The brother got some sort of medical separation and he never graduated. My friend says that his brother goes around telling everyone about when he was in and that he was a Marine. I called BS on this and said that if he didn't graduate boot camp he was full of crap and needed to cut it out. Another guy I work with who was a Marine said that as long as he didn't quit and was separated for reasons beyond his control that there wasn't a problem with it. I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

he shouldn't be going around telling people he was a Marine when he never was in the FMF... though he can say he joined... I don't think recruit training qualifies him to brag about it.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer56328 View Post
    I want to get some thoughts from you guys about when and at what point can you consider yourself a Marine. I guy I work with said his brother went to boot camp and in Phase 3 was injured. The brother got some sort of medical separation and he never graduated. My friend says that his brother goes around telling everyone about when he was in and that he was a Marine. I called BS on this and said that if he didn't graduate boot camp he was full of crap and needed to cut it out. Another guy I work with who was a Marine said that as long as he didn't quit and was separated for reasons beyond his control that there wasn't a problem with it. I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks.
    You're right in telling him to shut the fvck up about being a Marine...for whatever the reasons, he didn't earn that Eagle, Globe and Anchor or the right to be called Marine, now did he?? Hey stuff happens in bootcamp and until everyone goes through the same process we did for the hell we put up with in bootcamp...that guy can't claim to be a Marine and doing so is fraud!! The government doesn't see him as a Marine, nor does the Marine Corps...ask him that in front of your Marine friend...maybe he felt you were being too hard on the fake-azz Marine...!! But whatever...that guy isn't a Marine...quit or not...

If He Didn't Recieve The Ega,he Doesn't Qualify!!! The Last I Checked They Present The Ega,the Day Before Graduation. So He Didn't Even Finish Third Phase.

The Corps Broke Him, Before He Could Earn The Title!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Unfortunately, even today, we have poolees that go to Boot camp and don't make it for whatever reason. I have had one tell me that it wasn't his fault he didn't stay, that he was willing to stay, but they sent him home because of a medical problem (and he didn't even get out of recieving). Then he came home telling how he got a Medical Discharge and was thinking about Re-enlisting in the Marines!

In my opinion, anyone that does not finish Boot Camp is not a Marine,,,PERIOD! In my many years of service, I have never heard of a Medical discharge from Boot Camp...only a release from Service!

Dave

I agree, if he didn't finish boot camp then he didn't earn the title and should shut his freakin' hole!

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This guys knows deep in his heart that he's no Marine. If he has a problem with our comments tell him to visit this site.

Semper Fi 4 Life
    Give me liberty or i'll get it myself!!!

This guy saying he is a Marine is just disappointed and trying to make himself look better.I know he is a BS'er cause if you never wore the EGA you cannot be a Marine.

I hope no one minds me adding my opinion into the pot but...

I'm not a Marine, I was given an entry level separation due to being injured & medically separated from the military during boot camp. I was told that I can re-enlist, but until then I am not a Marine (rightfully so). I do know that I must say on any job application or paperwork I fill-out, that I have 'veteran' status; which I don't understand seeing as I didn't earn the title. So from this civilian’s opinion…he’s not a Marine!

Have to finish.

I heard recently that they are handing out the EGAs right after the crucible which is 2 weeks before the actual graduation date. I think that is crap. We were given our EGAs the day before graduation at the EGA ceremony. We were STILL not Marines until our SDI said DISMISSED and we left the Island in a uniform, with an ID card, an SRB and a freaking EGA in our cover. I was a Marine when my SDI shook my hand and said Congrats Marine, now go carry on in our Corps. That is when I was a Marine.

As most said, not a Marine till you pin on the EGA and are offically called a Marine. He may have the heart of a Marine but he "ain't" a Marine.

I brought this question up before in posers. A friend of mine only made it 1 month on the island. Got released for an inoperable cyst on his spine. This was in 5-72. The Sonnamabeetch gets better care from the VA than I do. I got out after 4 years with 20% n don't get squat. The local VA wants $55.00 copay from me. My civilioan doctor with my insurance is only a$25.00 copay. GD VA can go to HELL!

Ega???

I must be slippin' into "old corps" status....

EGA????

Oh, you mean EGAL, GLOB AND ANCHOR!!

I didn't earn the title until I marched across the parade deck on graduation day!!!

Not one minute before!

Thread Information