So, I didn't make it...
Create Post
    AustinOverton
    Guest Free Member

So, I didn't make it...

Well, I've been to down on myself to come here and talk to you all, but needless to say I didn't make it through recruit training. I made it to the week before Table 1 firing at the rifle range but an injured HCL was the end for me. On training day 35 they do the midway PFT and I could barely walk let alone run, even after being on light duty for 2 weeks. Being injured and not being able to train with my boys really had me depressed and it got the best of me. They decided to send me on home on July 11th, 1 day before exactly 2 months on the island. (I was at Parris Island)

I had gotten over being upset but now I'm a little upset again because my platoon finished the Crucible yesterday and are now Marines and thinking about it makes me not feel so great. But anyways I suppose I'll survive, I'm gonna go to college to be a computer engineer and depending on my knee maybe I'll go the officer route.

If you have any questions about the first 6-7 weeks of recruit training go ahead and ask away.

Hey man there really is nothing you can do when your body gives so don't tear yourself up about it. On the other hand I can not imagine how you must feel about your old platoon being Marines while you are left out. However if you can become an officer I personally will respect you as much as any mustang which is only slightly more than any other officer. Any way good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinOverton View Post
    Well, I've been to down on myself to come here and talk to you all, but needless to say I didn't make it through recruit training. I made it to the week before Table 1 firing at the rifle range but an injured HCL was the end for me. On training day 35 they do the midway PFT and I could barely walk let alone run, even after being on light duty for 2 weeks. Being injured and not being able to train with my boys really had me depressed and it got the best of me. They decided to send me on home on July 11th, 1 day before exactly 2 months on the island. (I was at Parris Island)

I had gotten over being upset but now I'm a little upset again because my platoon finished the Crucible yesterday and are now Marines and thinking about it makes me not feel so great. But anyways I suppose I'll survive, I'm gonna go to college to be a computer engineer and depending on my knee maybe I'll go the officer route.

If you have any questions about the first 6-7 weeks of recruit training go ahead and ask away.

Hey Austin,you gave it a good try.The next time,either PI or Quantico,You'll make it boy.Stay focused.
    BTW your plt.,are not Marines untill after graduation.
    Chin up Austin....

AustinOverton
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecfree View Post
    Hey Austin,you gave it a good try.The next time,either PI or Quantico,You'll make it boy.Stay focused.
    BTW your plt.,are not Marines untill after graduation.
    Chin up Austin....
    I appreciate the kind words guys.

I noticed there was a little 50/50 going on about not being Marines until after graduation or being a Marine after the crucible because you wear your eagle globe and anchor and rank insignia plus you are called a Marine during that "Marine Week" which is the last week.

I consider them Marines based on the latter.

Hey just because you body got messed up doesn't mean it not will heal and you wont be able to give it another try, there might be a few waivers involved but we had a guy in my plt that had been threw it 2 times before. Don't feel down about the stuff you can't control, granted I know that you probably can't stop feeling ****ty but I can only offer my words of encouragement. Keep at it don't let the dream die. Semper Fidelis!

Cpl. Butler 0311 OIF Combat Veteran

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You shouldn't feel down it was your body not you. If you didn't make it because of the mental then that would be a different story, but that wasn't the case. There's nothing to be down about.

Semper FI 4 Life
    Give me liberty or i'll get it myself!!!

Good Luck Killer, You'll be alright!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey atleast you had something happen to you there. I went with mono and didn't even know it...i got sent home july 25th. Freakin sucks...im going back for more in a few onths though! Can't wait. Keep your hopes high man as long as you didn't quit your good to go!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Esprit View Post
    Hey atleast you had something happen to you there. I went with mono and didn't even know it...i got sent home july 25th. Freakin sucks...im going back for more in a few onths though! Can't wait. Keep your hopes high man as long as you didn't quit your good to go!
    So you need to change your status back to "MARINE FRIEND" then don't you?

Dave

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    How long until your body heals?

Just because you bit the dust this time, doesn't mean it'll happen again next time...

If becoming a Marine is what you truly strive for, then please, if not for me, or anyone else, then for yourself, never quit, and earn that Eagle Globe and Anchor...

Check out how many times Abe Lincoln FAILED, as well as Einstein, and Eisenhower, hell I can go on and on and on regarding men who FAILED GREATLY at the early stages of their lives... But guess what?

They gained expereince by it... You only learn from what you did wrong... Never what you did right... (Funny little tid-bit fact about human psychology... In some way/shape/form a person gets something wrong, before learning it right... mentally, physically, somewhere on the line, they had something wrong... Very common in fast learners...) And what happened to Eisenhower? Oh wait... That's right... He became a 5 Star General (General of the Army) during WW2... Considering his early day career, was almost an epic FAILURE... But did he ever quit? F* NO!

I'm sure you're aware of very famous Marines by now, a really nice quote (I like actually quite a bit) is the old quote "Great, we're surrounded, it makes things much easier!"...

In military history, REGARDLESS of branch... You can see failure after failure... But when something failed... What does the military do next? They figure out where/how they failed, and they fix the problem... (Vietnam for example... Bad gunpowder+M16=Failure on an EPIC scale... What was the failure? Bad gunpowder... change gunpowder... problem solved, M16 series rifles have been on the lines in the American military for almost 50 years now... Go figure... Still in use, still kicking the bad guys 4th point of contact...)

If you still want to become an Engineer, go for it, if it's what your heart really wants...

But if becoming a Marine is what you truly want, if it's what your heart is set on... Then by God, when your leg is healed, go back in, and try again...

If at first you don't succeed... Try, and try again...

"Never, never quit."

Good luck with whatever you do...

But just generally speaking regarding life, if it's hard, it can only get easier from there... Just stick through it, and you'll never get knocked down... Even if that does happen, get your butt up, and do it again...

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Hey man there really is nothing you can do when your body gives so don't tear yourself up about it. On the other hand I can not imagine how you must feel about your old platoon being Marines while you are left out. However if you can become an officer I personally will respect you as much as any mustang which is only slightly more than any other officer. Any way good luck to you.

smooth jerky nuts....

Thread Information