So Poolees, you think you know whats what huh?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So Poolees, you think you know whats what huh?

Hey don't lie, I was a poolee once, I thought I knew everything.

What are these bugle calls? Why are they played, what are the opening notes called, and what do you do when you hear them? (Ill give you a hint, the answer is the same for both calls)

There is a bit of silence at the beginning of the clips, its loading and playing correctly, just give it time.

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I don't know if this is right, and I don't know the answer to all the questions but at my school they play the first one when the flag is being taken down at the end of the day and we all salute.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It caused a flashback for me.

I believe the first one is Revelry and the second is Taps. I believe you go to the position of attention when you hear either one. Taps is played at military burials and I think Revelry is played when raising the flag. I don't know what the notes at the beginning represent but I'm fairly confident in my other answers.

Close... Ill give you a hint.

It has to be light out to raise the flag, you don't wake up when its light out. Ever. In 4 years, unless youre on leave or liberty, you will never wake up when its bright out.

So is Revelry just simply a wake up call?

Yes, you will hear it like...once your entire time in the Marine Corps...

I will wait till tomorrow, but I think ive stumped the poolees. This is something they cant just google!

I don't recall what the first one is but I believe the second one is colors. When a Marine heres colors he or she is to stand at attention facing the flag and salute if in uniform. Colors is played when the flag is being taken down at dusk.

Correct....but ....how does the flag get put up in the first place?

Would that first one happen to be Bugle Call?

Colors are at 08:00 every morning on USMC Bases and Colors are at sunset every evening on USMC Bases there is a 3 whistle count down on most Bases starting with 3 blasts then 2 then 1 Then Colors. On All USMC Bases Colors are struck and retired in the same fashion you will stand and face the flag pole and salute if in uniform till the music ends then go to attention when the Marine Corps Hymn is played (All Bases overseas) The US Flag and host country are raised together and brought down together. The US National Anthem is played first then the host country's You Salute during ours but stand at attention at theirs.

Last edited by ttracker65; 07-30-08 at 11:20 AM. Reason: SP Errors

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    It has to be light out to raise the flag, you don't wake up when its light out. Ever. In 4 years, unless youre on leave or liberty, you will never wake up when its bright out.
    Unless you're a daysleeper and your MOS works and trains at night. What if I have a 5 year contract? Do I get a bright wake chit for my last year?

Yes, you will hear it like...once your entire time in the Marine Corps...

Reveille and Taps are played every single day within earshot of every barracks on MCAS Yuma.

It's a big Corps out there. You shouldn't be so precise and definitive until you've been to a few places.

Taps is played every night here, but never reveille. And come on, you can't consider an airstation a real Marine Corps base devil dog. I've been to Lejeune, Camps Kinser, Schwab, Geiger, Johnson, New River, Pensacola, the lovely MCRD Parris Island and Marine Corps Base Hawaii, and never ever ever once heard reveille. The only places I hadn't really been were the west coast, Pendleton, MCRD, 29 palms, and Yuma and a host of other smaller places with MC detachments.

And come on, you can't consider an airstation a real Marine Corps base devil dog.
    Yes, I can. It's an age old petty argument that won't be satisfied here. Not until you need a Medevac, that is.

The point wasn't whether I was right or wrong, it was that you're making general statements with no basis in fact.

Perhaps you should pick up Corporal soon. The recruiting command needs people like you.

I would love to go any sort of special duty (MSG especially) but unfortunately my current command is too busy deploying us to Iraq, then Afghanistan, then Okinawa...

As for picking up, I'm not worried about it. But I'd rather pick up because I know I'll be an efficient leader in combat, not so I can sit behind a desk and call high schoolers.

Thread Information