Weight Loss Woes!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weight Loss Woes!

Sorry if I'm making a mistake in posting this in the Poolees' forum, as I am not yet a Poolee, but I felt that this forum would be appropriate since my concerns deal mainly with being able to DEP in. I also apologize for adding to the large collection of weight loss threads; I just feel that my situation is unique when compared with some of the other solutions I've read. So my apologies if this is the wrong place - I'm still a little new here. :]

I've been in increasing contact with my recruiter, and we're both excited for me to start on my path to becoming a Marine. But I'm having trouble losing a little extra weight, and it's becoming increasingly distressing. There aren't many slots left available for the field I want (Infantry), and I won't be able to DEP in with my current weight.

I'm 5'6", and I weigh about 206-207lbs. Now, this is a lot better than when I previously weighed in a few weeks ago, at 214lbs, if I remember correctly, and that was before I began running and dieting. So I'm shedding pounds at a pretty healthy rate. The problem being, that the "healthy rate" is too slow for me to be able to lose enough pounds to DEP in in time to get the MOS I want. My recruiter estimated I have maybe a week or two before all of the Infantry slots fill. I need to lose ten or fifteen pounds by then.

I know. Insane, impossible, and idiotic.

It's my own fault for getting started on my weight loss so late in the game, but I doubt griping and moaning will do much good for me (unless it's by burning a couple of calories in the process.)

So my recruiter wants to help me out. He took me to the GNC and asked about weight loss supplements and metabolism boosters. Particularly for losing weight FAST. He was sure to mention this "Hollywood Celebrity Diet Juice," which advertises a loss of ten pounds in two days (yeah right). He claims that a young female potential recruit weighed 280lbs, and lost 140lbs on the stuff, combined with VERY strict diet and exercise. The lady behind the counter seemed to know what she was talking about, and recommended Hydroxycut Hardcore (no ephedrine). So my recruiter purchased a bottle of the stuff, and also grabbed the Celebrity Diet Juice they had in stock - he swears by the stuff. The total ended up being $65! It was certainly refreshing to see that he has that much faith in me...

I researched these diet drugs (from reliable reviews on health blogs and the like) and they seem to be at least safe, if taken as directed. The Hydroxycut doesn't look dangerous, but seems to be more geared towards developing muscle than shedding weight. The Diet Juice scared the hell out of me, but doing a little research revealed that it's pretty much a 400 calorie, citrus version of SlimFast, reinforced with vitamins and minerals, and whose program is a bit more extreme - As directed, I am to fast for two days, ingesting no food, alcohol, nicotine, or caffeine. Only the Diet Juice over the course of the two days, and water. Combined with exercise, it is intended to help kickstart a good diet. I could probably get the same effect from fruit juice alone, but I'd hate to put a perfectly good bottle of this stuff to waste.

As far as my diet, I've only been eating very low-calorie fruits. Apples and grapes, mostly. Some celery and carrots here and there, but I get most of my veggie servings from V8. And fish. Small portions of salmon and Talapia, served with rice.

Working out? I've been running like a madman. Last week, I was pacing myself slowly, running a mile in about 15-18 minutes. Now? 11 minutes. Tomorrow, I'm going to start working towards a mile and a half. I feel that I can do it.

I took the Hydroxycut today before my run, and before eating. Tomorrow, I might start my juice diet. It depends on how I feel.

But before I get too involved with these diet drugs, I'd like to know how Poolees and Marines feel about them, as well as my current diet and exercise plan. I have all the motivation, but I don't want it to be too much. I just can't imagine that my recruiter, knowing my current diet and exercise routine, would encourage me to try the Hydroxycut and the Diet Juice if it meant I might get sick and not be able to DEP in.

I'd just like to know how you all think, based on experience or good knowledge of the subject at hand. I encourage you to research Hydroxycut Hardcore and the "Original Celebrity Diet Two-Day Juice" if you think it will allow you to give better advice. I doubt I'm in over my head quite yet, and I feel that now is the time to take advice and suggestions. But bear in mind that I'm impressionable in my desperate state.

Is this a good way to go? Or is there a safer and healthier way to losing this kind of weight in the amount of time I have? I'm willing to go to extreme measures to lose weight now, and then stabilizing myself later.

Thanks for reading everyone. I'm looking forward to your responses!

I was a wrestler, nd MMA fighter now, and I always had to cut around 10 pounds in 1 day to make weight.
    So if you wanna make quick weight, buy a sauna suit, then run like mad, nd then go to the sauna nd do push ups nd stuff there. Cant drink water, just suck on ice cubes.
    It sucks, nd its not healthy, but its the only way to cut fast.

You could always wait until October, but that is just my unprofessional opinion. Anyways, I know a lot about dieting considering i've lost 65lbs total in the last 4 or so months. I have shot up because I have become lazy. Not good by any means, but I can lose it in no time. So, back on subject. When I was dieting, I took so many pills, that werent supposed to go together, and drank so many drinks, that I felt like sh!t nearly 24 hours a day. But I lost that weight so flippin fast, I didnt care, I just needed to get on down in weight. So what i'm saying is, do it the healthy way. Unless you want to starve yourself, feel like crap, slow your metabalism down, and all the other fun goodies that come with losing weight the unhealthy way, be my guest.

This "Celebrity 2 day diet" crap, is that the diet where you drink nothing but fresh lemon juice, and salt water for 2 days? Thats the only 2 day diet that I know of.

My advice to you is, dont rush it. You will lose weight if you stick to a healthy diet, and a good exercise plan. I'm guessing you have to be around wha? 203? I'm not really that up to date on the Marine Corps weight standards to DEP in, so that was just a guess. If that is the case or even if you have to lose a little more, thats not that much at all. You could lose that the healthy way in a few weeks to a month if you stick with it.

So you wanted my opinion, I gave it. Just do it the health way, dont rush it, and if you do rush it, prepare to get sick. Anymore questions just PM or something.

SirRoundSound,

I have taken Hydroxycut Hardcore for about a month now and I can tell you that it does work. I have lost, in 4 weeks, 11 pounds off the stuff. Not only am I losing fat but with working out I'm gaining muscle. I am currently 6'2, 225 with about 18 percent body fat.

You can lose the weight, because I weighed 261 at the beginning of football season last year and now I'm in the mid 220's. And I am LAZY. If you have heart, and you have the motivation, you can do it. I am living proof of it.

The thing that I thought worked best when starting a diet was looking for what took in the most calories. Meaning I liked to snack on things like cookies and potato chips. By simply replacing those foods with other things, I was able to cut my calorie intake in half, and feel just as full.

Cardio is also a big thing, along with weight training. This was my running plan:

First week [out of shape]

Run 1 lap
    Walk 1 lap
    Run 1 lap
    Walk 1 lap

x3 days a week

Second week

Run 2 laps
    Walk 1 lap
    Run 2 laps
    Walk 1 lap

x3 days a week

Third Week

Run 3 laps
    Walk 1 lap
    Run 3 laps
    Walk 1 lap

x3 days a week

I think you get the idea. I'm up to a total of 3 miles a day now. Never would I have dreamed of running 3 miles. I know before I started my program I was running 3 miles in way over a half hour. Now timed its 24:03. I working with sprints now to get my time down even lower.

Like I said, I know you can do it. Its not easy, but nothing ever is. I feel better than I have in a long time. Hope that one day you can be a Marine, or at least a poolee brother.

Well first off, to the best of my knowledge, I took the very last infantry spot back in January. However, there may have been some people that backed out, got moved, etc. But those are basically just single spots that come and go pretty fast (That's what happened with me. The field was full before MEPS, and it was full again after MEPS). However, when the new fiscal year comes around (October) it will be MOS picking season and you can pretty much get anything you want.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck. I personally wouldn't use those weight loss things, but then, I'm also not in your position, and you may have other scenarios that preclude you from DEPing in later in October or what have you. I would go to your recruiter and make damn sure that he still has an infantry slot for you, and if he does, go for it. If not, I would just lose weight the old fashioned way and sign that DEP contract in October.

Of course, I'm just a know-nothing poolee here, so if I've said something wrong, Marines, please correct me and give me the proper thrashing.

supplements aren't my thing but my last 3 roommates were all about getting big/cut fast. they all swore by hydroxycut and there was another one that worked really well i just cant remember what it was called. if i think of the name i'll tell you cause like in one week he went from looking like he worked out once a week to like everyday all day. personally my weight loss plan was alot of lettuce, alot of tuna and alot of water

I'm no expert on the topic but one thing I found that helped me lose the 70+ lb I've lost is STAY ACTIVE. Don't go to the gym or go do your run then go home and sit around all day. Try to plan your day's activities down to the last second, it makes a HUGE difference.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I neglected to mention that right now, I'm trying to avoid building muscle (at least for the next couple of weeks) and only burn fat. So I'm doing cardio, cardio, and more cardio. My recruiter told me NOT to do any lifting or strength training for now because, if I want to achieve rapid weight loss by my ever-nearing deadline, I'll only gain weight from the added muscle. I understand that muscle requires a lot of energy to function and is the best fat burner, but I don't have the time to build enough muscle to lose the amount of weight I want, so I need to focus on only burning that fat through diet and cardio... and fast!

There is a "Lose 10 pounds in 3 days Guaranteed" Diet out there. I did it, and it does work, but the weight will come back. So use it if you need to lose weight temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGunz90 View Post
    There is a "Lose 10 pounds in 3 days Guaranteed" Diet out there. I did it, and it does work, but the weight will come back. So use it if you need to lose weight temporarily.
    Temporary and fast is good for me right now. I have a long time after that to worry about getting physically fit.

Also, if I use the Two-Day Diet Juice I purchased (which I started today) and then stick to a low-sodium diet, I can maintain the weight loss.

Honestly losing weight is simple in my opinion. Keep eating the way you say that you are, and just run faster and harder for longer. I understand that it's hard to keep going and to stay motivated, but it's just something you have to do. Master your mind, gain the self discipline and just run. Don't drink anything but water... and drink LOTS of it. Run at night, then turn right around and run in the morning.

I'm 6'1'' and I went from 200 lbs to 180 pounds in three weeks. Eat right, drink water, and make it your duty to run.

If you don't already have one, go to your RSS and ask for one of the red Marine water bottles. If you can get one, drink at least 8 of those a day (water). Oh, and practice drinking them as quickly as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGunz90 View Post
    SirRoundSound,

I have taken Hydroxycut Hardcore for about a month now and I can tell you that it does work. I have lost, in 4 weeks, 11 pounds off the stuff. Not only am I losing fat but with working out I'm gaining muscle. I am currently 6'2, 225 with about 18 percent body fat.
    Exactly what I was about to say. That stuff is incredible. I took it at the recommendation of my recruiter. It's been a little over one week, I have lost 6 pounds. It's an absolute godsend. If you follow the instructions, drink all the water it says to, exercise normally AND EAT RIGHT the weight drops like nothing. I suggest picking some up.

I had the same problem RoundSound, but what I did was cut all fast-food, soda, snacks, junk and all the other **** out of my diet to begin with, along with hitting the gym for at least an hour a day, 5 days a week. But what really made me good to go was my recruiter gave me 3 day, 10 pound cut diet and hit the elliptical for 2 hours a day for those 3 days, once in the morning and once in the evening, making sure to wear sweats like a hoodie and some pants. The diet sucks ass becuz you can't eat much but it will cut the weight, no doubt. Also you said you just started dieting, so once you get accustomed to the diet the pounds will start falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by 119Wrestler View Post
    I was a wrestler, nd MMA fighter now, and I always had to cut around 10 pounds in 1 day to make weight.
    So if you wanna make quick weight, buy a sauna suit, then run like mad, nd then go to the sauna nd do push ups nd stuff there. Cant drink water, just suck on ice cubes.
    It sucks, nd its not healthy, but its the only way to cut fast.
    I've never heard of a sauna suit... but if it's what we used in wrestling.. keep someone with you while your using it so you don't pass out and mess yourself up.

yeah its probably the same one.
    The one that feels like a trashbag? lol
    Nd yah, have some1 with yu, incase u passout. lol
    Then yu can die.

Thread Information