MCC grad earns Bronze Star

Kevin Braciszeski - Daily News Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

U.S. Marine Maj. Sean Quinlan earned a Bronze Star with V for valor for his efforts in Iraq during 2006 and 2007.

Quinlan is a graduate of Mason County Central High School and the youngest of four Quinlan brothers, including MCC Middle School teacher Phil Quinlan.

“He said if he could cut it up and give it to 140 men (in his command) he would,” Phil said about the medal, which is one of the highest awarded to members of America’s military.

Duty

Sean Quinlan was the commanding officer of a company of Marines assigned to Rawah, Iraq, in September 2006. At that time, according to Marine records, Rawah had a population of 30,000 and was considered the most dangerous and active site in its area of operations. There were an average of four improvised explosive device (IED) attacks per day and one suicide vehicle driver every two weeks.

“Small arms attacks occurred daily. The insurgent murder and intimidation campaign in the local cities had forced the civic leadership into hiding. The area was in the hands of the enemy,” a report about Quinlan’s actions said about that time.

About the time his company took on its role in Rawah, Quinlan said, insurgents captured and killed the city’s police chief and mutilated his body as a warning to everyone who cooperated with American forces.

“Within eight months, attacks were reduced by 80 percent and the legitimate government and schools were back in order,” he said.

Part of the success was due to the immersion of his troops in the city, which Quinlan said was different than the previous unit that had been based outside of the city.

Quinlan’s company also conducted sweeps in that area of Iraq, including sweeps along the Euphrates River toward Syria that led to the discovery of many weapons caches. Officials estimated one of those finds prevented the construction and placement of more than 1,000 IEDs.

But he described the mission as bittersweet because the company was able to capture weapons and prevent their use in attacks, but at the cost of two Marines killed and eight wounded during just their 13th day on the mission. They were killed when the vehicle they were riding struck an IED.

“We dedicated the rest of our time there to them (the killed Marines),” he said. “They were a driving force and inspiration.”

The company also later lost another Marine in action, 2nd Lt. Mark Gelina.

Although he received the Bronze Star, Quinlan doesn’t take the credit for his unit’s success.

“I attribute any success … to my men,” he said. “I was blessed to be their commander, amongst good Americans who don’t ask for much.”

Carrying on

Quinlan’s Bronze Star came for his second tour of duty in Iraq. He had previously served there in 2005.

His family has a long tradition of military service, he said, with his great-grandfather serving in the Union Army at Gettysburg and his father, grandfather and uncle also serving in the Army.

Two of his brothers, Michael and James, served in the Air Force and Sean originally wanted to serve in the Air Force too, but he said the Air Force rejected him after he broke several bones in a car accident.

Sean then became a successful pitcher on the Grand Valley State University baseball team, even pitching in the Division II NCAA championship series in 1985 (with his team finishing in third place). That’s when he surprised his brother Phil by joining the Marines.

“I lost my focus, as far as academics … and enlisted in the Marine Corps.,” Sean said. “It’s probably one of the best decisions I made in my life.”

Quinlan served as an enlisted man for 11 years before receiving a meritorious commission and attending officer candidates school in 1996. Upon completion of the program, Quinlan was commissioned as a second lieutenant. During the past 12 years he earned promotions to first lieutenant, captain and then major. He also earned a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University in 2001 and on June 4 received his master’s degree from Marine Corps University.

His goal is a promotion to battalion commander and command of 1,000 men.

“I love leading men, that’s my strength, inspiring, motivating and leading,” he said.

His next duty is to oversee Marine recruiting efforts in Iowa and half of Nebraska and he was busy last week preparing to move there.

Quinlan said his family — wife Kelley (Patterson) Quinlan and three children — have been very supportive, even though his career has forced them to move 16 times in 21 years.

“They’re my crowning achievement. I wouldn’t be as successful as I am without her,” he said.

Ellie