About to ship - fitness level
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About to ship - fitness level

I ship August 11th for Parris Island, and I have a question about my fitness. I'm worried I'm going to be placed within the remedial PT during basic. I've been running alot lately, getting ready for basic training. I've been working on my IST run time as my Sgt told me to and now that is at 12'44, but I'm still worried about my endurance. I wrestled in high school, at weight class 189, so I'm a bigger guy, muscle wise and I still have fat I need to get rid of, which basic will do for me.

Although my question is somewhat vaque, how terrible do I have to do to get put into remedial? And when you first arrive to Parris Island, the run distances increase over time correct? Or do they immediately start off at 10 mile runs?

Thanks for any help to an ill informed recruit

The only thing that can get you placed in remedial PT is if you get hurt or you fail the IST when you get there.

I read the boot schedule and the most they start out with is 1.5 mile runs, during the 1st week of training.

I appreciate it. I'm very excited to go, yet still filled with self doubt. Feel better knowing I won't get placed into remedial, at least i hope not, haha.

I wouldn't get to comfertable, alot of things can change when you have hardly any sleep, and your nervous/scared, then you have to go do the IST.

As I said, I'm filled with self doubt, just slightly reassuring knowing that I'm not as bad off as I kept telling myself. Far from where I want, and until I'm there I'll never be where I need to be.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    1.5 the first week?????? Is that new? 10 mile runs??? Is that new? Am I on the wrong site?

Well Im about 99.9% sure you dont do 10 mile runs...maybe 10 mile hikes is what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    1.5 the first week?????? Is that new? 10 mile runs??? Is that new? Am I on the wrong site?
    If I'm missing something, let me know. If you read up top, I'm just ill informed, haven't been told anything, just alot of "Well I heard this, and I heard that".

Also, I believe I'm getting a run and a march confused, what's the variation between the two? A run is obviously a run, and a march is a quick walk? I've got no clue.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Boot for my generation,,,, 3 miles, always,,,,,, Force March,,,, 25 miles. With 60 lb pack. I guess things change.

Boot for my generation,,,, 3 miles, always,,,,,, Force March,,,, 25 miles. With 60 lb pack. I guess things change.
    From what I saw, and my recruiter told me you start out at 1.5, and it progress week by week. But 1.5 is the norm. I think the highest it goes is up to 5 miles, unless the Moto Run is longer...

MOS school is where the 7-8 mile boots and utes runs come into play right?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "boots and utes "..... Is there something else?

"boots and utes "..... Is there something else?
    rifle, gas mask, gear?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I heard rumor of 'tennies,,,,, hope not.

I heard rumor of 'tennies,,,,, hope not.

IST (initial strength test) is 1.5 miles...In Boot camp they start you off pretty slow as far as pt goes, but it's constant,constant,constant....for example when your in a class, when the instructor gives you a 10 minute break, your DI's grab you and your doing sit-ups,pull-ups....
    So you do get in great shape, and lose weight pretty damn quick, so if you have the heart of a man in your chest DON'T BE SCARED! If you wrestled in high school, I think you'll do fine......
    You do not run in Boots in Bootcamp, You will run in athletic shoes, Some of the "old timers" give a hard time for that.....The reason you run in running shoes is because ( this is according to my friend who spent 25 years in the Corps, and retired Master Gunnery Sergeant)
    The Marine Corps does not want to damage you in Boot Camp, they want to get you fit....
    Like I said Man, If you wrestled in high school.....You should not have a problem physically in Boot Camp....the truth is (physically) it' not that hard....Now it is pretty Fvcking INTENSE! You do have to EARN the title Marine...Good Luck,

Thread Information