IAR (Infantry Automatic Rifle) - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    yes they are... they are nato rounds

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marine4Life View Post
    The 6.8 isn't as plentiful as a 5.56 or a 7.62. Especially on the battlefield.
    Yeah, it will be. Because you are going to be carrying it with you.

I'll wait for more independent studies before I criticize the 6.8 round.

I've read a few of them... they say with the optimal rifling of the barrel and what not, it's a good round, however some manufacturers are not getting it done right so the pressure is much higher than the 5.56 and that can cause problems.

it's a more powerful round... I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    Yeah, it will be. Because you are going to be carrying it with you.

I'll wait for more independent studies before I criticize the 6.8 round.
    I actually like the round. It has the distance of the 5.56 and the hitting power of the 7.62. Can't ask for anything else.

I'm pretty sure it's got more distance than the 5.56 and has less hitting power than the 7.62

it's kinda in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post
    I know you are a PFC and all but where do you think a saw gunner puts his ammo? and don't forget that those have the extra weight of the links to boot.
    One of my best friends was a SAW gunner when we were in together so I have a pretty good idea on that one. As far as full magazines, your warbelt only holds so many. You would have to put some in every pocket that you have (not that it would be a problem). If you're running thru the magazines in full automatic, you're going to need the rounds to keep firing.

they have holders that have 20 mags on the front of your vest.... also if they were issuing that out in lue of the saw they will give high speed gadgets such as drum magizines that hold a hundred rounds at a time.

this kinda stuff is all trivial...the point is the weapon is better in every way that Marines asked and I think it's perfect for every marine! who wants to reload 7 times during mout when you can do it only once!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marine4Life View Post
    Good Point.

As a machinegunner, I remember being taught that open bolt weapons are not good for things like ambushes anyway. Could you imagine kickin' off an ambush against an enemy in the kill zone, only to hear the sound of the bolt going home with no bang, bang? It gives the enemy a split second to react and increases the pucker factor tremendously.

Again, I was taught this as a machine gunner and we had M60E3's then. Not the best weapon in the world...

but this open bolt can fire from the closed bolt since it has the same carrier group as the M-16. great feature.

Sounds like a good deal but only being able to carry 30 rd mag, fully auto that will be drained in a matter of like 1 second. The SAW has its problems but it has never given me that much trouble. If they gave this to all rifleman I could see that as an advantage or at-least give it to the A-Gunner. The M-4 has a max eff range of like 300 m, as where the saw can hit out to 1100 m. I don't think this weapon should replace the SAW but it could replace the A-Gunners M16. I really don't like the fact that you only carrying a small amount of ammo in the gun. Yes he dose make the point that you can ask your buddies for ammo but the SAW allows that as-well. This weapon would be good to go in an urban area but still it takes from ability to lay down a nice solid wall of lead at long distance. Well thats just my 2 cents. KILL!

ugh, no.

look at the design, watch how they bury it with the bolt open and then pull it out and unload an ass load of rounds from a drum mag then break it down and hold the bolt carrier group in his bare hands....

the piston operation makes garbage in the weapon to be a moot point since the carbon won't make that stuff stick to everything.
    No but the clp will. When i watched it on super weapons it had to ways to fire single which is closed bolt. And full auto had an open bolt. But if your in the field you will get the weapon dirty sand and **** will probally get in there. But then again you have years more experience then me SSgt. This is just me talking out my ass

they have holders that have 20 mags on the front of your vest.... also if they were issuing that out in lue of the saw they will give high speed gadgets such as drum magizines that hold a hundred rounds at a time.

this kinda stuff is all trivial...the point is the weapon is better in every way that Marines asked and I think it's perfect for every marine! who wants to reload 7 times during mout when you can do it only once!!
    I agree with you there. Ooh Rah! I like the whole idea behind it. My opinion is every Marine would feel comfortable with this in their hands. It gives them the ability to get that one shot one kill or lay down a barrage of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSKI View Post
    No but the clp will. When i watched it on super weapons it had to ways to fire single which is closed bolt. And full auto had an open bolt. But if your in the field you will get the weapon dirty sand and **** will probally get in there. But then again you have years more experience then me SSgt. This is just me talking out my ass
    you're pretty damn close to the mark... that is why jessica lynch became a hero, she didn't clean out the CLP in the desert environ.

you should only have CLP on the bolt not the whole carrier group, also with a mechanical action instead of gas powered not as much gunk will build up in the receiver housing.

in the end it's not as big of a problem as it would if it were gas operated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'VE SEEN MORE THAN 1,M-14,FREEZE UP IN COMBAT;HOW 'BOUT YOU???

Thread Information