Is applying to OCS while on active duty possible?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Is applying to OCS while on active duty possible?

Hello Everyone. I have been frequenting this forum for several weeks now and have finally decided to take the initial steps and be more pro-active in gathering information that I need. This website has been an amazing source of information about the Marine Corps and everyone seems to be more than willing to help out wannabes like me.

I graduated from college about a year ago and have been in civil service since. About a month ago, I started feeling that my current career path might not be as fulfilling as I expected. I started doing some research and am now torn between enlisting as an Active-Duty Marine or a Marine Reservist (Forgive me if I am not using the correct terms). I eventually wish to apply to become an officer but would have to start as enlisted for now because I am not yet a US citizen.

Is there a way for an enlisted Marine to apply for OCS in the middle of his active duty contract (I expect to obtain my citizenship in less than 2 years)? If so, would the process be extremely difficult or is it something that happens regularly? If accepted would you be able to leave your unit to go to OCS-TBS-MOS school?

Or would it be more practical to join the Reserves and then apply for OCS once I become eligible?

This country has given so much to me and I would like to "earn my keep" by serving. Thank you in advance.

Look into the MECEP and PLC programs.

Pete is right. Look into the MECEP program.

He already has his degree so PLC doesn't apply. I'm not sure about all the aspects of MECEP, but I understand it's a program for the Marine to attend college. If this is the only program, than this also doesn't apply.

To answer to the best of my knowledge, yes it is possible, but not exactly easy to get promoted to OCS while still on your active duty contract. It's happened before, but only to outstanding Marines that have been recommended for the slot. If you join up now, you had better be prepared to serve out the full contract as enlisted and then apply for OCS after your first contract is up.

I'd go right to a USMC Officer recruiter.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the tips and messages. I did get in touch with a great recruiter but I felt that he was not as familiar with this issue as what I was hoping. I guess this does not happen as regularly as the more common enlistment types.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by smiggs View Post
    Thanks for the tips and messages. I did get in touch with a great recruiter but I felt that he was not as familiar with this issue as what I was hoping. I guess this does not happen as regularly as the more common enlistment types.

Thanks everyone!
    Huh? If you're talking about enlisted promoting to officer, no, it does not happen regularly at all. Only a very select few pass through those programs. The majority of Marines choose to remain in the enlisted ranks or get out entirely.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2 View Post
    Huh? If you're talking about enlisted promoting to officer, no, it does not happen regularly at all. Only a very select few pass through those programs. The majority of Marines choose to remain in the enlisted ranks or get out entirely.
    No. I Was talking about applying for OCS and going through the whole OCS-TBS-MOS school while on active duty. I was trying to see if it was possible to do that while in the middle of your active duty contract. Thanks!

Last edited by smiggs; 07-24-08 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Adding a few words.

Quote Originally Posted by smiggs View Post
    No. I Was talking about applying for OCS and going through the whole OCS-TBS-MOS school while on active duty. I was trying to see if it was possible to do that while in the middle of your active duty contract. Thanks!
    Yah, I guess you're misunderstanding the process.
    You can apply for OCS while you're in the middle of your active duty enlisted contract. There is a very very slim chance you'll get it.

If you do get it, you go through OCS/TBS/MOS on an officer's active duty contract.

my advice would be, unless you just can't wait to become a Marine, then go ahead and join as a reservist. Things are a little different for reservist than active duty. But, if you are young enough and have patience, I would suggest you wait until you receive your citizenship and then sign up for OCS. By already having your degree, you're one step ahead of the game.

Remember the decisions you make today affect the rest of your life. Those decisions can be modified or changed, but they are still there.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2 View Post
    Yah, I guess you're misunderstanding the process.
    You can apply for OCS while you're in the middle of your active duty enlisted contract. There is a very very slim chance you'll get it.

If you do get it, you go through OCS/TBS/MOS on an officer's active duty contract.
    Thank you for the information. I was talking to my recruiter and he was saying that it would be a quick process to leave in the middle of an active duty enlisted contract to go to OCS. But from what I'm hearing from you and from the other Marines who have sent messages, it looks like it is a lot more complicated than that.

He is either overstating your chances of getting promoted or you are not hearing everything he is saying to you accurately.
    If you enter a 4 year contract, we have no incentive to promote you unless you really are an outstanding Marine. We're here to tell you. There are many outstanding Marines and your competition will be tough.

Thread Information