Boot knowledge
Create Post

Thread: Boot knowledge

Boot knowledge

I was surprised that I couldn't find this question on here yet. Is there anything else I should learn before shipping out other than the general orders, hymn, core values, and leadership traits?

Knowing how to report would probably be good. Reporting to the DIs or for something like Firewatch. Though some have different ways of wanting you to do it. Still, you could get a general idea.

They'll teach you everything you need to know i assure you. And it will be drilled into your head every chance they get.

I'd learn the general orders, thats about it. You'll learn everything you need to know at bootcamp.

rank structure, remember that the whole time you are there until you become a Marine you are going to talk in the third person (I=this recruit, you=the Drill Instructior, or Drill Instructor so and so, we= these recruits) If asked a question=yes sir/no sir, if told an instruction = aye sir (lotta recruits mix thouse 2 up)

General Orders and that's it, keep it simple. If you come in spouting off too much knowledge or knowledge you think you have, you will get singled out as a kiss ass and brown noser, and boy do DI's love those types. You're better off coming in blank and learning as they teach, pick it up quick and show them how attentive and dedicated you are at that point. Because as it's been said before, every DI, Series, Company, Battalion does things different. There's a lot of leeway in how and what can be taught.

Credits
    Savings

Click here for the - Ultimate Guide

I disagree with going in on minimal information. Read up as much as you can, no one said you had to go in and act like you know it all. I learned the entire Poolee book the day before I shipped and it was beneficial in that I could spend more time squaring away gear instead of studying or getting punished for being an idiot.

Thanks for the input. I ship in 2 weeks and so far I have memorized the General orders, Marine and Navy rank, leadership traits, hymn, and core values.

I was PM'd some good stuff as well, so I'll post an abridged version:

When overtaking a Drill Instructor don't forget "By your leave, Sir/Ma'am."
    Some recruits have paid dearly for not saying that on passing a Drill Instructor.

Proper greeting of the day, noon or night...
    "Good morning, afternoon, or night, followed by the rank of the Marine"
    Generally it from a lower rank to higher rank

Start getting used to rolling with the punches; that's one of the things that separated the recruits that did really well from the recruits that had a really hard time

Do not turn around in class
    Do not speak to a Drill Instructor while you are sitting
    Do not forget to hold the hatch for a Drill Instructor or any other Marine
    Do not let a Drill Instructor carry anything
    Do not ever call a Drill Instructor a Drill Sergeant

It would be Evening, not night. Within your first week of training, actually the first day or two you will learn basic customs and courtesies. There will be a formal class as well on it. Remember to salute if you see an officer: 6 - 30 paces meaning if they are less than 6 or more than 30 don't salute. But, I suppose your best bet is to just salute them at all paces.

Knowing is good, though unless your really motivated and ready to be guide, i wouldn't go down there spitting it out. Plus all DIs like it their way, so the way you learn won't be the way they want it.

Endless hours of weapons maintenance will get you all the knowledge you need i assure you.

I figure the best way to go about it is to master it all not to try to impress anybody but only so I wont have to struggle with it later. For example, I had my recruiter teach me how to roll sleeves this week but I'm not going to roll em up as soon as I get some cammies; but as soon as we are taught I'll be ahead of the game. My thinking is to just be prepared with the small stuff so I can worry about the bigger stuff I can't train for while in the DEP.

That is spot on. Good luck.

Thread Information