Tricks for your Charlie's - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In reference to the charlie's question, I was stationed at PISC from 1985 until 1988 on the CG Staff, so you had to wear C's everyday and they had better be razor sharp. I would take liquid starch and cut it with water. Turn the shirt inside out, soak it will the mixture, allow it to slightly dry and then turn it back outside out and using a commerical steam iron, press the heck out of it. once I got it and the creases to what I wanted, I then sprayed the inside with Scotchgard. This would prevent the sweat from seeping through the shirt. I also used the green boot bands around the waist and 2 sets of stays. Never failed a CG Friday morning inspection with this technique.

As for the tailoring of shirts for DI's and Recruiters, the unwritten rule is that as long as you had regulation shirts for inspections, your daily C shirts could be tailored to fit. Now, if you were into weight lifting and bodybuilding or just had a non-traditional body, you could get a waiver to have your shirts tailored to fit, this waiver would be entered into your SRB and you were covered. I remember a guy at PI that had a 48 inch chest and a 32 inch waist, so he got a waiver and you could clearly see the darts in the shirt where they took it in, but with the waiver it was legal.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Sounds good to me....but as I remember it doesn't take that long or expense to put on ALL that is rated. One day off,one day on. Makes sense...but...not to me.

I'm stationed at 8th and I, ceremonial marcher for alpha company. if there's a trick to making uniforms look good, i know them all haha. wear at least 6 shirt stays, making sure to position them to make the back creases took tight. also, you can use PFC or LCPL chevrons to pin the creases where you want them, below the belt line obviously.

Well back in my day, I wore only 4 tight shirt stays and was always sqared away. I wore creighton and flying cross shirts and had then tailored a little, but not too much. Skin tight shirts were a no-no so I had a lot of the slack taked out where I still had enough to make a small blouse in the back and a few inches of slack in the sleeves. I never heard a thing from anyone. The shirt looked normal and not skin tight. Remember the idea id to look sharp but also be comfortable enough to function in. I knew guys that wore a bunch of shirt stays, and my shirt looked just like theirs, except I had a n easier time making headcalls :-)
    One idea that did work well was using Scotchgard on the inside of the shirt where to tend to sweat alot. This may not prevent all swaet stains but it will cut it down alot! I also used it on my uniform on the outside during pick up (Day 1) and I would literally run through the showers and not get wet. It used to freak the recuits out how someone could run under the water and not get wet ;-) It works but you have to used a TON of it. It is expensive but worth it for the look on peoples faces. You can use scotchgard on your DI hat to keep it water tight. But if caught in a 100? all day downpour then it may not be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Native Warrior View Post
    Actually you have the choice of either wearing just personal decorations or personal and unit decorations. I was authorized 9 total medals and ribbons and of those a lot of the times when I was stationed at PISC, I would wear only the NAM, CAR, GCM but on Fridays (CG Inspection and colors - I was on the CG Staff),family day, graduation and other special events I would wear all 9.
    When did the GCM become a personal award. It was listed as a service award when I was active duty.

Wow, its like you guys are speaking a different language, when I was in the Air Wing we really didn't do stuff like what you guys are talking about, hahah.

the GCM is considered a personal service award, that's because each individual has to do something (stay clean or near clean) to be awarded it. The unit is not awarded it, but the individual is.

I agree about the Wingers, I was stationed at Cherry Point my first tour of duty and rarely wore C's, it was poplin and woodland cammies all the time. Boy, could those poplins take some starch, didn't last long, but they looked good for the first hour or so.

Ya my ass is usually in cammies or coverals

Thread Information