Any Former Marines turned Corpsman? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If you are prior service you will not have to repeat any basic training, especially as a Devil Dog. You have already had the longest Recruit Training of all the services. As an 8404 all you will have to complete is Naval Hospital Corps School, and FMSS, or FMBT as they call it now. If you are coming on board straight from the FMF then you will definately have a leg up on the PT portion and Marine elements of the training there.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    I understand having to go to Hospital Corps School, but once you have completed the Marine Corps Boot Camp you never have to complete another services Basic Training....
    I believe that is true Gunny.

Holy sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the fluck is a former Marine?

bootlace15 out

In 93-94 I was with 1/4 and worked with HN Duran. He was a Marine turned Corpsman. He never had to go to any boot camp other than his original 13 weeks at San Diego.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marine Turned Fmf Corpsman

Cpl All Corpsmen That Desire To Be W/ The Marines Go Trhough Fmss/fmtb As It Is Called These Days...i Went Through Fmss W/ 3 Former Marines, The Were One Step Ahead Of The Rest Of The Class Because They Had The Prior Knowlege Of What The Course Were...so Tp Answer Your Question Yes Former Marines Must Go Through The Semi Marine Boot Camp All Fmf Corpsman Go Through To Become 8404/fmf Corpsman

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Boot

YOU CAN CHANGE FROM ANY BRANCH OF THE MILIRAY INTO THE NAVY ARMY OR AIR FORCE W/OUT GOING THROUGH BASIC AGAIN, BUT IF YOU WERE TO SWITCH TO THE MARINE CORPS YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND BASIC AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT...I WAS THINKING OF SWITCHING TO THE MARINE CORPS IF I WAS NOT ABLE TO DEPLOY W/ MY MARINES AS A CORPSMAN, AND STAY ACTIVE DUTY...I WOULD HAVE HAD TO GO THROUGH BASIC AGAIN AND BE DROPPED 2 PAY GRADES WHICH I WOULD NOT HAVE MINDED BECAUSE I WOULD BE W/ THE MARINES AND I COULD EARN MY RANK AGAIN...AND NO HN MULLINS ANY BRANCH SWITCHNG AND WANTING TO BECOME A FMF CORSPMAN THEY WILL NOT GO THROUGH BASIC BUT THEY WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH FMSS...

I served in the Corps from 1993 to 1998 active as an Engineer in various units and for 6 months as an Antitank Assaultman 0351 in the reserves in 2/25 Weapons Co. I have been trying to enlist back in the reserves, but the prior service recruiter has not gotten back to me as of yet. It has been about 2 weeks and no response.

From what I have read on this forum and others, prior service Marines have a hard time getting back in. I also have tattoos on my forearm which I understand is a no no in todays Corps.

If I can't get back in the Corps, I am considering joining the Navy as a Corpsman.

I have a few questions for all Saltdog Corpsman out there.

I have heard through the grapevine that the Navy is issuing bonuses for those enlisting as Corpsman. Is this true?

If I enlist as a Corpsman in the reserves, I understand I can choose to serve Greenside, however can I choose a specific unit? I want to serve with Golf Co. 2/25 in Dover, NJ or Weapons Co. 2/25 in Garden City, NY. I definitely do not want to serve with a Communications unit in Brooklyn, NY.

Can I enlist as a Corpsman with visible tattoos on my forearm?

Thanks. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Is your tattoo of a hula girl? Most of the navy I seen with tattoos had hula girls on the arms....so if it doesn't dance I would say no.

No I would say I don't know.....but if you can become a doc get a hula girl and when you party with the Marines you can flex and make her dance!Good luck

No hula girl....lol ! It's actually USMC in old english letters on the inside of my forearm.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    In the search on this site punch in tattoos. There is a wealth of information and the current MCO about them and the grandfather clause.

You may have to sift through the posts to get your answer....but it is there.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Gentlemen...after serving with Lima, 3/3/3, in 69', as an Hm3, I went through BOOT, the hard way!! NO regrets, and NO complaints!.....Semper Fi....Doc Greek

I got out of the Corps in '97 and was going through the process to go in as a Corpsman for the green side. Basically what was explained to me was going to happen was I would goto a Navy Boot Camp facility but not for boot/basic but for a prior service 2-4 indoctrination course with classes on navy regs, how the navy works, uniform fitting, etc.... After that, Corps school, and after that, I would report to a fleet marine unit. The was a mention of a Field Combat school or whatever it was called at the time, but because I was prior Marine Infantry, I petitioned for a waiver from that training and it was granted, my knee just didn't pass re-entry physical for the navy.....I'm sure things have changed though. Personnally, I say Marine to Corpsman, redo the combat training, you might learn something new, and a refresher can only make you better....

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Should have said something earlier, but didn't want to frighten you. Spoke to a couple of E-5 Corpsmen, on leave from the sandbox, sounded like some crappy duty. They told me, that it was rare for Marine Company's, to be bunked indoors. Hot as he** in the summer, and colder than a witch's tit, in the winter! Sand in everything.....one shower, and hot food, after 3 weeks! Dramatic, and Traumatic wounds, caused be IED'S, and booby traps. You'll have some different "priorities", as a Corpsman, and have to be a "big brother", and a "step dad", to the younger Marines......NOT easy. My very best to you on your journey!.....Semper Fi.....Doc Greek

From what I understand and for what it's worth:

No repeat of Bootcamp but will go through USN "orientation" and on to "A" school (Corpsman School) ... If selected/volunteer for Greenside, you must go to Field Med School (with it's mini PT Bootcamp) so as to learn field medicine and USMC coordination stuff (which you'd ace pretty easily) and the PT portion. "C" school cannot be waived.

Upon graduation, you can select your duty stations on your "dream sheet" but final assignment would be via your detailer for a billet that is currently open. They wont simply send you to your requested station unless there is an opening. You may be assigned elewhere until an opening comes up...

As for tats.... Usually, If they are able to be hidden by Class A's then they're ok unless they are degrading to the military or the USA. (something like "f*ck the US" or crap like that). Cant be on face or upper neck. or hands. If there is an issue you can ask for a waiver on that (and even get exposed tats lazered off)

At least that's the way it was.... That's what a buddy who was recently discharged and also corroborated with me. BUT: Uncle Sam has a tendency to change his mind frequently so call a recruiter or BuMed detailer to be sure before signing the papers and GET IT IN WRITING! (some things NEVER change!!)

I'm sure the Grunts in the sandbox would appreciate "A Few Good (Corps)Men" to help with their adventures. Good luck...

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    PLEASE....MARINES! If you're thinking of switching over, to become a Navy Corpsman.....SPEAK TO OTHER CORPSMEN, WHO HAVE SERVED RECENTLY, IN THE SANDBOX!! Combat, or not.....BIG responsibility, to a WHOLE PLATOON, OF GRUNTS!!! PLEASE....think very carefully, before you step into a world of SH!!!T!!.....SEMPER FI......Doc Greek

Thread Information