Any Former Marines turned Corpsman?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any Former Marines turned Corpsman?

This area doesn't seem too popular I was just wondering, if a former Marine were to become a Corpsman would he have to go through the Marine Bootcamp portion after Corps school?

Cpl., that's a really good question, the best answer will come from somewere else. Check out corpsman.com, the Chiefs there will be able to help you better than I.

Doc Mullins

had a Denist on El Toro who was a Marine got out went to Med school and became a Navy Officer

Quote Originally Posted by awbrown1462 View Post
    had a Denist on El Toro who was a Marine got out went to Med school and became a Navy Officer
    That's different though... I was talking more along the lines of Enlisted. I know that green side corpsman have to go to a mini bootcamp/mct but since obviously being a former Marine I have all ready gone to Bootcamp and ITB would I have to do it over again to become a Corpsman.

You mean field med at Johnson/Pendleton?

Once you have been through Marine Corps Boot Camp, you never have to go through any Boot Camp again. (Unless you become a D.I. then you go through basically the same thing as Boot Camp at D.I. School. Except you get liberty.)

If he joins the Navy to become a Corpsman he will go through Navy recruit training (boot camp) and then to Hospital Corps School, and then he will have to attend field med just like any other Corpsman that wil be attached to the FMF. His advantage will be he should excell in field med because it is mostly Marine Corps Training with a little feild medicine thrown in. Because he is a Marine does not exempt him from the noted above.

Doc Mullins

I thought if you go to Marine bootcamp you don't have to go to any other services boot.

Negative, just like if a FMF Corpsman were to enlist in the Corps he would have to go through Marine Corps recruit training so does a Marine have to go through Navy recruit training, and any other service would have to do the same to enlist into the Navy or Marine Corps.

Doc Mullins

I understand having to go to Hospital Corps School, but once you have completed the Marine Corps Boot Camp you never have to complete another services Basic Training....

If you come into the Marine Corps from any other service you must complete Marine Corps Bootcamp.

Chuck, You thinking about a lat move from the Seabees?

You will not have to repeat boot camp. But you will play the game with the navy!

If that is what you all think. You might want to look into that a little futher. Since he is already in the Navy as a SeaBee, then he can do a lat move and go to Corps School, and he will still have to attend field med training. And I'll bet if you ask Chuck he will tell you he went through Navy recruit training before goin SeaBee. Just like the Corps were you are a basic Marine after Boot Camp you are a basic seaman when you graduate Navy recruit training, then you go on to your (NEC'S) MOS'S. Just because you graduated Marine Boot Camp does not exempt you from going through Navy recruit training. Yes that makes one of the finest fighting men on this earth and have my complete and utmost respect you will have to be trained for ship life and how to survive on ship under multiple conditions that MCRD does not train you for, he will be able to retain most if not all his medals & ribbions and since he is in the Navy what ever his rank is short of E-7 he will keep that also.

Doc Mullins

Look at his original question. He's asking if he has to repeat Marine Corps boot camp!

Thread Information