MOS change
Create Post

Thread: MOS change

MOS change

my son grads from MCT in NC today hes going to maryland a Army base his MOS changed to small arms tech why it changed dont know does anybody know what he will be doing im confussed and have know idea how he got that job

Quote Originally Posted by mikysmom View Post
    my son grads from MCT in NC today hes going to maryland a Army base his MOS changed to small arms tech why it changed dont know does anybody know what he will be doing im confussed and have know idea how he got that job
    I want to say that he will be an armorer. He'll fix and take care of weapons. I could be wrong though. If you can get his MOS # that would be easier to tell you a definate answer. I do have a buddy that is an armorer though and I know he went to an Army base up north for it. I'm just a lowly grunt and had all my training here in NC though

its 2111 i think hes calling today from the airport after he leaves NC

yes that's an armorer, he will be repairing every weapon the Marines use that are SMALL ARMS, so anything that a grunt can carry falls under that. It's a good job that can be fun when he makes Marines clean their weapons more when we turn them into the armory.

His MOS probably changed because the Marine Corps uses codes for people joining, it puts a hot fill MOS with one that everyone wants to be in, so people think they are getting the MOS they want but then they get put in the MOS that needs people badly.

thinks i talked to him he was on his way to the airport he sounds great and he dont mind the change in his MOS so i feel better

Hi - my son went from a 1316 MOS (metalworker) to a 2111 (small arms repair/armorer) while at PI and he is very happy more than a year later. I wasn't too happy initially because I knew as a metalworker he'd have plenty of job opportunities in the future - he told me he'd have plenty of money after he got out (if he decided not to re-up) to go to a welding school. He was interested in armory work. He did do his training in Aberdeen and is now forward deployed.

He's happy, safe, loves being a Marine and is enjoying his work - what more can a Marine mom ask?

Best of luck to your son.
    Ann

I would think Armorer would be a fantastic job, around weapons all day, learning how to fix them....Hey, Good to go!! I think he is going to Aberdeen MD home of the Aberdeen "Ironbirds" minor league baseball team...I think Cal Ripken owns them or something...again, I think he got a good job!

Credits
    Savings
    He has a good job. The experience he gets there, combined with some courses on his own can potentialy put him in a very good position when he decides to get out.
    Gun Smiths ( civilian for Armorer ) are hard to find. In my area there is only two I know of and they are very busy.

MOS change-armorer

thanks for the replies - yes the school was at Aberdeen and he loves the 2111 mos. He has heard from quite a few experienced armorers and vets who told him that there is quite a demand for experienced gun smiths. It's all good as far as I'm concerned. If he chose to be a cook I'd be happy if he was serving his country and doing a job he enjoyed. I'm proud of him and his brother who is a "doc" and done two tours in the sandbox.

I myself am an armorer and i love every second of it even being at an Airwing Unit. I graduated from APG on december 13 2007. Your son is in very good hands there. All the instructors are the best in their field. There is a lot more to being an armorer than knowing how to fix weapons and there is a lot of responsibility that goes along with it. It's freaking awesome when the guys here play the whole let's name the parts of the weapon and i pull out things on an M16 or a that they've never even heard of. They hate the fact that a girl knows more about weapons than they do.
    and also the PT there is way intense. on fridays we would have 1stSgt PT or as all the platoon serheants . our 1stSgt was a Recon Marine so he was about 5' 2" and could run faster than anyone else there. I think the longest we ran was 8 miles at 0500 in the freezing cold of Maryland. We would do literally thousands of flutter kicks, mountain climbers, 8 counts, sun gods, and jack webs. Needless to say fridays were called break it off in your ass friday lol.

thanks for the info he called and said school was backed up 2mths but seems to be fine but cant wait till school starts

Quote Originally Posted by mikysmom View Post
    thanks for the info he called and said school was backed up 2mths but seems to be fine but cant wait till school starts
    His attitude will change once he spends a few days on those working parties that he's going on while he waits.

Still a good job to have, all the armorers I was around were very happy with that MOS. And the good ones got to fock-off a lot once they had some weight on their collar.

Semper Fi

glad everything worked out for you the family.

thanks for the great info he just worked at a party lol but hes doing fine just sent him his new cell so he can call more

Thread Information