Your Thoughts M-16
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Your Thoughts M-16

What do you think of the M-16

My personal experience with it in Vietnam was
    a simple one. Fire one round and then punch the bore as the Commies fired their AK-47 without stopping. It created many a Marines death and a class-action lawsuit in the 9th Distrcit Court in San Francisco. I can't stand the site of one to this day and now I'm told the Marines in Iraq are using M-14s or anything else they can find. No knock-down power......
    really imagine that ? Since April of 1967 when
    they were issued out at Dong Ha...wow, we really do support our troops.....with junk!!

What are your thoughts and personal experiences with this weapon ?

SEMPER FI............>Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CBS View Post

a simple one. Fire one round and then punch the bore as the Commies fired their AK-47 without stopping. It created many a Marines death and a class-action lawsuit in the 9th Distrcit Court in San Francisco. I can't stand the site of one to this day and now I'm told the Marines in Iraq are using M-14s or anything else they can find. No knock-down power......
    they were issued out at Dong Ha...wow, we really do support our troops.....with junk!!

Personally, I love it! I should say the M-16A2, the SOB never jammed or misfed.. in Desert Storm, in spite of all the sand! We used to keep a Panty hose / nylon over it to keep the grit out! When we were in Kafji in a FF, it never Jammed, one Mag after another, no problems! I own an AR - 15 to this day, Shoot competition with it! Accurate SOB! I also shoot 75 Grain Hollow points! It makes a differance when the Gov. issues you 55 grain ball that couldn't take a freaking cat out!
    Here's a thought to consider, when it comes to the Gov., the lowest bidder wins! As far as the AK - 47's, Junk, not accurate, but deadly if hit with one! In Desert Storm the Royal Marines that were attached to us had 7.62 fully Auto's, an absolutely awesome rifle, accurate, low maint., no problems with them!
    Semper Fi!

Its a alright weapon, but the military needs to upgrade to a gas piston system and better ammo.
    I don't want the Marine Corps to adopt the damn SCAR. It has had no real field testing.

I've never had a problem with the a2 so I'm guessing they fixed a lot of the issues. Any problem I can remember was from the cheap pos magazines they issue.

Engr

Can 77 gr. ammo be fed from the magazine? Or do you sit them on top of an empty magazine and feed them one at a time?

While I can’t comment on the M-16’s performance in the field, under battle conditions, as I’ve been fortunate enough never to have been there, I love the Bushmaster AR-15 and have never had a single problem.

The AR-15(M16) platform is top notch. Almost every jam it encounters is directly related to the magazine.

That being said, all the DOD needs to do is upgrade to 6.8 SPC, and add a short stroke gas system and we will have the greatest service rifle of all time.

M16 workability.

I personally didn't like the M16,nor did I trust that malfunctioning Rifle.It was lite compared to the M14 and the M1 Garand. Some Marines in Vietnam were pro M16,but most were Con.I was neither,I own a M1 Garand and like it very well.

The Marine Corps should have kept the M-14. Used it in the Domenican Republic with no problems. To my knowledge no Marine lost his life because of a malfunction of the rifle.

Weren't the problems during Vietnam because the weapon was sold as a "Self Cleaning" Weapon, Therefore not being cleaned properly, hence the problems with the jamming issues? This is just info I got on the History Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    Its a alright weapon, but the military needs to upgrade to a gas piston system and better ammo.
    I don't want the Marine Corps to adopt the damn SCAR. It has had no real field testing.
    BEING AN ARMORER AND TRAINED ON THIS WEAPON AFTER QUALIFYING WITH THE M16A1...I'D HAVE TO SAY THE A2 WAS AS GOOD AS THEY HAD PROMISED...OF COURSE THERE IS NO PERFECT WEAPON OUT THERE...EXCEPT MAYBE THE AK-47 AND ITS HIGHLY RESILIENT AND REARWARD BLOWBACK SYSTEM.

I WENT THROUGH DESERT STORM ALSO WITH THIS WEAPON AND WAS ALSO AT KHAFJI WITH 2ND RECON...IT NEVER FAILED ME. NOW THE MARINE CORPS AND ITS INFITNITE WISDOM OF ALWYS TRYING TO GO TO THE LOWEST BIDDER, TO SAVE MONEY, EVEN FOR SL-3 GEAR SUCH AS MAGAZINES, DID MAKE THE ETERNAL MISTAKE OF ORDERING MAGAZINES FROM AN UNKNOWN CONTRACTOR THAT WERE A P-O-S!! THATS VERY TRUE...BUT IF THIS WEAPON IS CLEANED AND MAINTAIN AND ZEROED IN PROPERLY...IT DOES HAVE THE POWER TO HIT AND KILL SOMEONE AT 500 YARDS AND A REASONABLE LONG LIFE OF FAITHFUL SERVICE...ITS NOT HARD...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The A1 bolt assist told you from the start it was a prob,,,,,, A1,,, If it don't work, kick it Modification.
    Best cleaning for that piece was to take it into the shower with you, and spray it out with Carbon Tet.
    gimmie my 14 back.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by CBS View Post

Jam, jam, jam

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    I concur. The AR platform is very versatile, but the gas system is inferior to the gas piston systems used in older weapons like the M-14 ans M1 Garand. Also changing the caliber to at least the to 6.8 like SkilletsUSMC said would be ideal.

I never carried one in service but I own and shoot a civvie version of the M-14(M1A) and I would feel safe toting one in hostile territory...even though it weighs a ton

Props to all the fellas that carried those heavy wood & steel battle rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by RLeon View Post
    I never carried one in service but I own and shoot a civvie version of the M-14(M1A) and I would feel safe toting one in hostile territory...even though it weighs a ton
    Would you feel safe clearing a room with one?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Over the years I have read many thoughts and opinions concerning the M-16 and at this point in time a few trends can be seen. My opinion is the M-16 sucks but I am a Vietnam Vet, it seems that as time has gone on Marines have grown more attached to it. I became attached to the M-14 I was issued at MCRD, ITR and Staging Bn. When I got to the Nam I was issued a M-16A1 and given a small comic book like instruction manual to self train myself. I never could understand why we were issued a bayonet as I was sure that I would break my weapon in two if I were to use it. Lucky for me I was a truck driver and allowed to carry smaller weapons like the M-79 Blooper or M-3A grease gun and I seldom ever took my M-16 off the wind shield wingnut. Something else that comes to mind, we were trained on the 7.62mm and learned that it is the NATO round used by all members and our enemy. So I have always questioned the wisdom of going to the smaller 5.56mm. It seems to me that if the M-16 is so great that our enemies would shed their AK-47's and get their hands on a M-16 instead. Just some random thoughts in a forty plus year discussion.

Jim

Last edited by jinelson; 07-14-08 at 11:57 AM.

Thread Information