Joining the Marine Band
Create Post

Joining the Marine Band

Hello, I've been looking recently into the Marine Corp Band and it looks simply amazing. I am just worried about one thing, if I don't pass my audition to get in, will I still have to enlist, just under a different occupation? Or can I back out at that point, because I would much rather go to college and major in music than end up in a military job that I didn't want. If anyone knows the answer I'd really appreciate it.

Fill out your profile.

Have you talked to a recruiter yet?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OH Boy! Another one - FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!

I have talked to a recruiter, just my parents seem to think he's the devil's incarnate and is lying to me about everything. So I just need some reassurance, because my mom is absolutely terrified that I would put into battle. Oh, and I filled out my profile for ya.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There was a girl that was in here a couple of years ago and she was trying to get into the band. She's in Supply now because she didn't pass auditions. No telling where they'll put you if you fail.

I thought to get in the band you have to audition first. I did not know there was an obligation if you fail the audition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumanchu View Post
    I have talked to a recruiter, just my parents seem to think he's the devil's incarnate and is lying to me about everything. So I just need some reassurance, because my mom is absolutely terrified that I would put into battle. Oh, and I filled out my profile for ya.

Hey there. I was once in your shoes. I'm a Marine musician and I'm actually at the School of Music right now. Before you sign ANYTHING, prepare your music and take the audition. If you fail it, then you have no obligation to do ANYTHING. You can even go home, practice and work on the things you need to practice and then about 30 days later you can re-audition. The only way you're obligated to do anything is if you went to MEPS and signed on the dotted line.

I actually DEPed in before I took my audition and even then, I only signed a commitment to be in the DEP program, not the actual Marine Corps. I could have backed out at any point while I was in the DEP. But when I actually signed my contract papers and sold my soul to the Corps, there was no backing out.

Your recruiter is not the devil. He might make things sound nicer, but he's not a liar. And there isn't a good percentage that you'll be deployed while in a fleet band. I overheard one of my platoon sergeants say that the Commandant, General Conway, is calling off all the deployments for the Marine Corps bands.

Anyways. I hope that answered some of your questions and concerns. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. I play french horn by the way, what do you play?

Thread Information