Switching to Active.
Create Post

Switching to Active.

So how long would I have to wait to switch over to Active Duty as a Reservist after boot camp? I signed up as a Reservist hoping to do PLC (to shut my mom up), but I looked more into it and it was not for me (+ I didn't even bother applying for college), so ever since December, I have been trying to switch over Active with the Aviation Mechanics field, but according to all my Recruiters, that spot is no longer open, and even if I try and switch now, I am told my boot camp would be pushed back to early next year. I leave next week, and I want to go in now, so I am just going to bite the dust and stay Reservist as a Wrecker Operator (MOS 3536 I think). I know I should have signed up the right way first, I can blame myself for that one.

Thank You,
    Polee Monk

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    So how long would I have to wait to switch over to Active Duty as a Reservist after boot camp? I signed up as a Reservist hoping to do PLC (to shut my mom up), but I looked more into it and it was not for me (+ I didn't even bother applying for college), so ever since December, I have been trying to switch over Active with the Aviation Mechanics field, but according to all my Recruiters, that spot is no longer open, and even if I try and switch now, I am told my boot camp would be pushed back to early next year. I leave next week, and I want to go in now, so I am just going to bite the dust and stay Reservist as a Wrecker Operator (MOS 3536 I think). I know I should have signed up the right way first, I can blame myself for that one.

Thank You,
    Polee Monk
    You can't have it both ways.
    Your recruiter gave you an option.

Ok here is the deal. One of two ways of going at this. One is going active reserve, you are one of the active duty marines at the reserve unit, problem with this is the cutting scores are higher much higher then regular active duty and even higher then regular reserve which is ****ing amazing to me consider my cutting score is higher then my active buddy's Sargent score. Now the second route is you can talk to your career planner once you check into your unit and request to go active. Now with that since you are taking a billet in that units order of battle and have that guaranteed MOS your command must release you, which if your unit is within a year of deployment thats not gonna happen.

Now if you switch to active before you go through your MOS school your specific mos is no longer guaranteed your field could be but thats it

Alright, that gives me a few more options, thanks.

I began my Corps career as a reservist and after 1 1/2 years I decided to go active duty. It was much easier than I thought. I went to my career planner, told him what I wanted to do, he completed the paperwork and everything was approved and I even got an mos change as requested. I was an avionics tech in the reserves, but always had an inkling for business, so I switched to admin. I got my duty station of choice, lost no rank and the mos change. I got no hassels or problems from anyone at my reserve unit. This is not to say you will have it as easy, but if active duty is what you want, then it's worth the effort.

Remember to always be true to yourself, because you are the one you have to live with for the duration of your decisions.

Did you go from reserves to AD or from reserves to AR? Plus I hear that some reservists lose rank if they go AD, this may only apply to NCO and above though.

No you don't lose rank however all the time limit things are changed to actually days you served not months.

Thread Information