Religion in Bootcamp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Religion in Bootcamp

So this question is specifically for those Marines who were at the time of bootcamp Christian, and are still to this day Christian.

So basically my question is whether or not going to the services they have on sundays worth it? I have heard that the chaplins are pretty limited on what they can say, so as to not offend anyone. Basically I only want to go if its gonna help me carry on spiritually, because I am sure that time could be used in other areas.

Dont get me wrong, my faith is very important to me-unto death. But if its just going to be a chaplin telling us that Jesus died on the cross for 13 weeks, then I am not too sure I will want to be there.

THANKS

You'll be glad to get a break out of your squad bay. There is no way you'll pass up services, Sundays will come as a welcome change. Who knows what Preacher, Minister or Chaplin you might have, but it will be much better than listening to a D.I.

Remember that most of what happens spirtually with you, is between you and God. And unless you wish to think of Christ as the 'middle man' - - it's sometimes best to 'cutout the middleman'

Quote Originally Posted by JJA1990 View Post
    So this question is specifically for those Marines who were at the time of bootcamp Christian, and are still to this day Christian.

So basically my question is whether or not going to the services they have on sundays worth it? I have heard that the chaplins are pretty limited on what they can say, so as to not offend anyone. Basically I only want to go if its gonna help me carry on spiritually, because I am sure that time could be used in other areas.

Dont get me wrong, my faith is very important to me-unto death. But if its just going to be a chaplin telling us that Jesus died on the cross for 13 weeks, then I am not too sure I will want to be there.

THANKS
    The Protestant services are non-denominational but they are worth going to. There were some pretty cool speakers that came in when I wnet through.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You're going to need religion every day in recruit training.....believe us when we tell you.

Semper Fi 4 Life
    Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Even if you don't like signing the old hymns and listening to a chaplain who may be Methodist while your Baptist is worth it. That is the only time you get away from your Drill Instructors. The only time they can't harass you.

For me it was shocking to see how the D.I.’s participated during the service. I didn’t comprehend that there could be another dimension to them, other than yelling at the recruits. Also they were kind of ‘soft’ with how they marched the formation to services. If nothing else it is a good way to see ‘the other side of the coin.’

Just say no I don't want to go and see what happens

Thanks for the responses. I may have misunderstood, but I thought that the recruits who chose not to go to a service of some type basically just were in the squad bay with the D.I.'s.. What that means, I am not sure I want to know.

Credits
    Savings
    The squad bay is a giant room with racks ( bunks ), foot lockers, wall lockers and and every member of your platoon lives. No rooms.
    If you chose to not attend religious services on Sunday you will stay behind in the squad bay with what ever Drill Instructor is assigned to baby sit the recruits who chose to stay behind.
    You will not want to be part of the small number of recruits staying behind with a bored Drill Instructor. Bored Drill Instructors are never a pretty sight.

Not only will going to Sunday Service help you spiritually it'll get you out of the squad bay. Trust me, you want out of the squad bay. When I was in boot the DIs made sure everyone went to a service, and if you were one of the stubborn ones they had you doing a crap load of **** detail (with a little down time).

Ok, alright..

I will remember that, bored D.I.'s are a bad thing, thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by JJA1990 View Post

THANKS
    Wow! That statement made NO sense, If the faith that is so important to you is the Christian Faith, Then you better re-evaluate your beliefs, Because that's kind of the Point! The Cornerstone of the faith....or are you looking for that feel good Joel Ostein stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    Wow! That statement made NO sense, If the faith that is so important to you is the Christian Faith, Then you better re-evaluate your beliefs, Because that's kind of the Point! The Cornerstone of the faith....or are you looking for that feel good Joel Ostein stuff?
    I think you misunderstood what I said, I apologize. What I was trying to say was that if the message for 13 weeks is just going to be that Joel Ostein stuff, I'm not too sure I want to take part. If the message for 13 weeks is only going to consist of the chaplain telling us that we need Jesus, and that's all, it would seem a bit repetitive and unhelpful. I know I am a wicked sinner and need Jesus, and it cant hurt to keep hearing that, but I also crave and need more deep preaching.(as all of us should the more we grow spiritually).

Before this thread I had the misconception that the chaplain basically said the same thing every week, and was incredibly limited on what he could say and that it would be pointless to go. However, through talking to many of you and some others(through messages) I have learned this is not completely accurate, and even if I can be at the service to encourage one other recruit or be encoraged-it would all be worth it.

Its like Church back home. There's a specefic sermon for that week. It's not all the same. I enjoyed Sunday Service. But hey, if you rather do **** detail at the squad bay rather than go to church with AC, possibly even see some nasty 4th batallion recruits (at PI), fellowship with other recruits then go ahead. Church is one place the DI's will not mess with you, once you leave church is a different story but it's well worth it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UsmcMotorT View Post
    possibly even see some nasty 4th batallion recruits (at PI)
    HEY!

Thread Information