Religion in Bootcamp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JJA1990 View Post
    So this question is specifically for those Marines who were at the time of bootcamp Christian, and are still to this day Christian.

So basically my question is whether or not going to the services they have on sundays worth it? I have heard that the chaplins are pretty limited on what they can say, so as to not offend anyone. Basically I only want to go if its gonna help me carry on spiritually, because I am sure that time could be used in other areas.

Dont get me wrong, my faith is very important to me-unto death. But if its just going to be a chaplin telling us that Jesus died on the cross for 13 weeks, then I am not too sure I will want to be there.

THANKS
    YOU REALLY THINK YOU HAVE A CHOICE AS TO WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN JUST GO TO CHURCH OR HANG AROUND IN THE SQUAD BAY??? I UNDERSTAND HOW SOME PEOPLE GET VERY SPIRITUAL WHEN THEY FACE THESE LIFE-CHANGING EVENTS AND "FIND JESUS" WHEN THEY NEED HIM...BUT, HONESTLY SPEAKING, DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU SHOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT RELIGION BEFORE LEAVING FOR BOOTCAMP...???

WHEN YOU GET THERE AND GET INTO TRAINING...CHURCH IS GOING TO BE THE LAST THING ON YOUR MIND...JUST GO LIKE YOU'RE TOLD AND WORSHIP OR NOT...IT MAY BE JUST AN EXTRA HOUR OF MUCH NEEDED SLEEP LIKE IT WAS FOR 95 % OF ALL RECRUITS THERE...

I guess I had the misunderstanding that it was a choice.

Either way, it's been clarified numerous times and I thank all of you.

I'm not even Christian, I'm Native American and practice the old traditions, but I joined the Chapel choir just to get away from the DI's on Sunday mornings. As a member of the Choir we'd get 3 hours away from the DI's and a little freedom. I would even get over to the soda machine for a cold coke and a stress free smoke.

My advice to you and to anyone getting ready to head out to boot camp is to just relax and don't overthink things. If you get all this advice and suggestions and then you get there and things are different, you've wasted time worrying for nothing. I've gone back to PI 2 to 3 times a year since I got out in 1988 and things are constantly changing with recruit training. I have a friend whose a DI and his words were "man the **** is always different and new, but it still stinks" This was his description of recruit training and the changing rules.

Have fun and enjoy it, it'll be over all too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Native Warrior View Post

My advice to you and to anyone getting ready to head out to boot camp is to just relax and don't overthink things. If you get all this advice and suggestions and then you get there and things are different, you've wasted time worrying for nothing.

Damn good advice.

Just be sure to memorize the "general orders" before you ship off to boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhd97 View Post
    The squad bay is a giant room with racks ( bunks ), foot lockers, wall lockers and and every member of your platoon lives. No rooms.
    If you chose to not attend religious services on Sunday you will stay behind in the squad bay with what ever Drill Instructor is assigned to baby sit the recruits who chose to stay behind.
    You will not want to be part of the small number of recruits staying behind with a bored Drill Instructor. Bored Drill Instructors are never a pretty sight.

This just needs a second and a third and hallelujah and some other ****...damn right.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhd97 View Post
    Even if you don't like signing the old hymns and listening to a chaplain who may be Methodist while your Baptist is worth it. That is the only time you get away from your Drill Instructors. The only time they can't harass you.
    My thoughts exactly. Although I am a believer, but decide what way "I" think is appropriate to show my respect and thankfulness to God. I welcomed the time I could be free of the pressures exerted by my Drill Instructors by attending services every Sunday. And my Drill Instructors respected the religious boots a lot more than the non-religious ones.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think I might have stayed behind one time. As far as I remember, there was only Catholic and Protestant services when I was there. I went to the Catholic service once - couldn't understand a damned thing that was going on. The next Sunday I went to the Protestant service and fell in love with Chaplain Hightower - I saw him every Sunday after that and even met my Mom & Dad there the final Sunday service before we graduated. He wasn't one of those fire & brimstone preachers like a lot of these Southern Baptists are. He would always associate his sermon to whatever we were going through in training - sure did put some of us in the right frame of mind for the upcoming week.

Thread Information