Religion
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Religion

Religion

I am a teenager in highschool possibly considering the Marine Corps. Only problem is that I am a christian. And I know that God is in a Marines heart. But my question is how do you teach yourself that it is alright to fight even though the ten commandments say thou shall not kill. I struggle with passing this barrier.

God puts a prohibition on murder. War is a state function. Ask yourself how the same God that required the Israelites to "not kill" also required them to kill every single man, woman, and child of the city of AI? What about Jericho? The Caananites?

Murder is wrong. But God definately sanctions killing under certain circumstances.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well put, Lieutenant.

As the good Lt. states the commandment really translates to "You shall not murder"

As Christians we are called to make peace and forbidden to murder, but but we can legitimately defend ourselves with deadly force when the time calls for it for preservation of self or state.

Jesus even acknowledges the legitimate use of force In Luke 22:36 when he tells the Apostles "let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one"

In Luke 3:14 when asked by Roman soldiers about what they should do, John the Baptist tells them "Do not practice extortion, do not falsely accuse anyone, and be satisfied with you wages." He never tells them to throw away their swords and become pacifist.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That question was asked one time, by a Soldier, of his Commanding officer. The year was 1917, the War was World War I. This Commanding officer, a religious man himself, told this soldier to take ten days leave, go home and go to his favorite place where it was quiet, and read his Bible, and if he felt the same way when he returned, he would give him a discharge. The Soldier went to his small town in the mountains of Tennessee and took his Bible and his Dog to the top of a mountain that overlooked the valley where he lived. He read his Bible and studied and he prayed to his God for several days, without food or water. When he returned to his unit he told them that he understood what the difference in murder and killing was, and that he would stay in the Army and do his very best as a soldier. The soldier, Sgt Alvin C. York.

Medal of Honor citation

Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Army, Company G, 328th Infantry, 82nd Division. Place and date: Near Chatel-Chehery, France, 8 October 1918. Entered service at: Pall Mall, Tenn. Born: 13 December 1887, Fentress County, Tenn. G.O. No.: 59, W.D., 1919.
    Citation:
    After his platoon suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machine gun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machine gun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.[7] ---------------------------------------------

Sgt York felt the exact same way as you did. He never went to war to become a hero, he thought he was saving lives, not taking them. He was personally credited with killing 22 German soldiers single handedly, plus capturing the 132 listed in his Medal of Honor citation!

I always thought Sgt York would have been a fine Marine, personally!

Semper Fi,

Dave

Lightbulb There is a difference.

Thank you, Sir. Gary Hall.

Credits
    Savings
    Dave,
    Excellent story. Sgt. York was a heck of a soldier and a man deeply devoted to God.

Our history is filled with men who are deeply committed Christians and warriors. The difference is a soldier / Marine is fighting to protect the weak and there peoples freedoms.
    God commands us to look out for the weak, to protect them. He commanded the Israelites to rebuild a wall around the city with a sword in one hand.
    A list of men who have served that are devote Christians are Oliver North ( Marine ret.), Chesty Puller ( Marine ret.) Sgt. York ( Army ), Teddy Roosevelt ( president and commander of Rough Riders in Spanish American war), Gen. Robert E. Lee, George Washington and many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioJamSk8er View Post
    I am a teenager in highschool possibly considering the Marine Corps. Only problem is that I am a christian. And I know that God is in a Marines heart. But my question is how do you teach yourself that it is alright to fight even though the ten commandments say thou shall not kill. I struggle with passing this barrier.
    If you ever get the chance watch the movie Sgt. York. Better yet, study Alvin York, and see what decision(s) he came to.

Woops. . . . Seems davblay beat me to that suggestion. But it's a good one.

Thanks for filling in some chaper and verse references Gents. I didn't have a Bible handy when posted. All good stuff.

Sgt. York is an excellent story and one that I think every Marine should read, whether they are religious or not.

OhioJam

You're asking a personal question that only you can answer. It is a very tough and deep question that we all should reflect upon and from tme to time, over the course of our lives, perhaps even changing our views on, if you believe personal growth requires change. You mentioned that you are a 'Christian' so consider that God knew dark powers would rule our world, during this age. But that is if you're only looking into the Old Testament Bible. Christianity begins with the New Testament and the birth of Jesus - - so now the question becomes would Jesus consider any war as 'just' - - and I don't know the answer to that one. I know that Jesus desciples carried swords as one cut the ear off from one of the abductors that took Jesus away to be judged. But Jesus reattached the ear, so I don't know for certain where he stands on self defense and his comment about turning the other cheek doesn't bode well for self defense.

Even still, I'd hate to get this one wrong and live as a slave, same too with the rest of my family and country. Freedom is the driving force behind our military forces.

Good Luck

For someone who said, "thou shall not kill" he has done a crap load of killing himself. Suppose what I'm saying is if you have a good reason to "smoke" someone its ok, at least to me it is.

SAB, Brick Testament Number Killed Cummulative Total
    God drowns everyone on earth (except Noah and his family) Genesis 7:23, BT 30,000,000? 30,000,000
    God rains fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah, killing everyone. Gen.19:24, BT 1000? 30,001,000
    Lot’s wife for looking back Gen.19:26, BT 1 30,001,001
    Er who was “wicked in the sight of the Lord” Gen.38:7, BT 1 30,001,002
    Onan for spilling his seed Gen.38:10, BT 1 30,001,003
    7th Egyptian Plague: Hail Exodus 9:25, BT 30,000? 30,031,003
    God kills every Egyptian firstborn child. Ex.12:29-30, BT 500,000? 30,531,003
    God drowns Egyptian army Ex.14:28, BT 1000? 30,532,003
    God and Moses help Joshua kill the Amalekites Ex.17:13, BT 1000? 30,533,003
    For dancing naked around Aaron’s golden calf Ex.32:27-28, 35, BT 3000 30,536,003
    Aaron’s sons for offering strange fire before the Lord Lev.10:1-3, Num.3:4, 26:61, BT 2 30,536,005
    And the list goes on and on.........

http://flux64.wordpress.com/2007/02/...timated-total/

I totally forgot about Sgt. York!!! Awesome story.

If God has a hard-on for Marines, He's got a chubby for Pooles and Recruits, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe907 View Post

If God has a .....
    Sometimes I don't mind a little crassness. I don't think this is the place for it though.

An honest discussion on religion should at least remain free of vulgarity simply out of respect.

I don't think that's too much to ask. Do you?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    Sometimes I don't mind a little crassness. I don't think this is the place for it though.

An honest discussion on religion should at least remain free of vulgarity simply out of respect.

I don't think that's too much to ask. Do you?
    Thank you sir.

Thread Information