Son heading to PI - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Semper Fi, He Will Make It Through And You Will See Him In Three Months A Changed Man. He Will Be A Marine

yeah, I am so excited never thought I would be in such a hurry for time to go by but I am counting the days til Oct 3rd. He will be not only a man but a Marine.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    We went through the experience twice with our twin sons (May 07 & August 07). There will be ups and downs. What helps them through are letters from home. Write daily. Recruits live for mail call. Go to the Parris Island Web site. There is a training matrix were you can follow what your recruit is doing. Lastly, sites such as this one are supportive. An additional site is www.marineparents.com which can link you with others parents from your son's Plt. Hang in there. On Graduation Day, the transformation from recruit to Marine is remarkable.

Hey Melody, I sent a reply but I think it got lost.... my son left May 19 for MCRD, San Diego. So far we have gotten 12 letters AND a birthday card for my husband! What a nice surprise that was! We really have had not ONE real complaint.... sounds like he is doing great and ??Loving?? boot camp?? Is it even possible? Ha Ha Ha!

Although i dont ship until next after i graduate from high school. My parents were kinda wondering a little bit about the family day. They would like to know if expenses for my family will be payed for or if they come out of their own pocket?

Credits
    Savings
    They have to pay there own way and lodging meals, just like a vacation.

Alright. Thank you for the help. Better tell them to start saving.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Blodgett View Post
    Although i dont ship until next after i graduate from high school. My parents were kinda wondering a little bit about the family day. They would like to know if expenses for my family will be payed for or if they come out of their own pocket?
    If I read your profile right, you are in Alaska? I would contact the recruiters office and the Depot Housing Billet office in San Diego like NOW for accomodations. The rooms are not a nice as the Hilton but they are on base and easy access to everything on base. The best thing is the cost is very, very reasonable.

Base Information Operator
    (619) 524-1011
    Ask for information on Family housing for Graduation, it used t be available on a first come first served bases!

Good Luck,
    Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by proudashellmama View Post
    Hey Melody, I sent a reply but I think it got lost.... my son left May 19 for MCRD, San Diego. So far we have gotten 12 letters AND a birthday card for my husband! What a nice surprise that was! We really have had not ONE real complaint.... sounds like he is doing great and ??Loving?? boot camp?? Is it even possible? Ha Ha Ha!
    Yes it is possible Ma'am happens every day!

Melody, she is right! I get a lot of mail from a lot of recruits. There is no manual for letters or what to say in them, but they all pretty much say the same things, depending on what week or phase they are in! The first phase is the the hardest, they have to leave behind all that civilian crap and learn the Marine Corps way of doing things! When he gets to the Rifle range (Phase 2), his letters will be more excited, then Phase three.......well that is the end of an ending, once they pass that Crucible, it's all over unless God himself gets involved somehow!

Yes, ma'am, he made a decision and a commitment and he intends to stick to it......he'll be a fine addition to our brotherhood, you'll see!

Semper Fi,

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    We went through the experience twice with our twin sons (May 07 & August 07). There will be ups and downs. What helps them through are letters from home. Write daily. Recruits live for mail call. Go to the Parris Island Web site. There is a training matrix were you can follow what your recruit is doing. Lastly, sites such as this one are supportive. An additional site is www.marineparents.com which can link you with others parents from your son's Plt. Hang in there. On Graduation Day, the transformation from recruit to Marine is remarkable.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO OUR BELOVED CORPS, I SALUTE YOU! Your Mrines are our future and we need them very much, each and everyone of them are appreciated by us "THE OLD FARTS BATTALLION"!

Semper Fi to you as well,

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Personally,,,I can't hardly stand to wait. Watching the parade ground,,,,, waiting for my son,,,,,, hope I remember to breathe.
    I know I'm loosing a boy, and gaining a man.

Too bad all boys can't go there.
    The Corps has already got his Blues tailored and ready for that son of yours, Sparkie! Give him a big Ooo-Rah, and a hug, from me will ya?

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    NOW HEAR THIS.....ALL YOU PROUD PARENTS KEEP US POSTED ON THE PROGRESS THESE RECRUITS ARE MAKING!

Melody,your son will learn things that will nurture him through life, and he will become a man.Marine and politician Zell Miller,stated in his book "Everything I needed to know about life,I learned in the Marine Corps". I have to agree with those prophetic words.The University of Parris Island have the best Drill Instructors, and continue to turn boys into men.
    Semper Fi,
    Class of 1965

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "THE OLD FARTS BATTALLION"!

I LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!! The only service I was drafted into. Kicking and screaming.

I guess my boy was born ready,,,, could make 2/3rds perfect PFT when he was 12,,, I am friggin jealous. { Thats makin him lazy, I gotta push him} Blues???? Only if he tries.

All this don't stop me from bein scared. I've seen the other side of the hill. Thanks, Dave.

You guys are so supportive I am glad my son told me about this website before he shipped out. to PI. I am sure I will gain it as the years go by. Still waiting to recieve letters but I know that will be in a few weeks. He will have his 18th birthday while he is gone they won't torture him too bad will they? Melody

Thread Information