How about a Recipe Swap?! - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    It sure did, kinda like a jerked glaze, yumbo!

Quote Originally Posted by Maleyna View Post
    ...poi...
    A Hawaiian, Steelhead/Salmon/Sturgeon fishing buddy say's that poi is to Polynesians what potatoes or rice are to damn near everybody else. I've sampled a dollop of poi at a luau, in Honolulu, and i must say i wasn't feeling the staple connection...

--->Dave

Simple Shepard's Pie

Mashed potatoes.. any which way you'd like
    1-1.5 lbs of ground beef
    Leftover veggies (or if you don't have any, just make new ones) --peas, carrots, green beans, corn! (I buy the mixed vegetable packages)
    1/2 tps Cayenne pepper
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    1 can brown gravy (or.. if you can make your own, go for it)
    SHREDDED CHEEEEEEESSSEEEEE
    1 small onion chopped finely

Make your mashed potatoes.. any which way you'd like. Brown and drain beef & add chopped onions. Cook additional 3-5 mins until onions are clear. In a large baking dish (I use a 3.5 qt casserole) mix your THAWED if not cooked veggies, salt & pepper, gravy, ground beef & onions. Shouldn't be really runny, just sticky from the gravy (holds it together). Pile on the mashed potatoes and then pile on the cheese!

Bake for about 30 mins @ 300 degrees. Makes enough for two people to eat four times.... so enough for 8 people. (and those people get a HEFTY portion).

I just finished reading through every page and I have enough recipes for a month! Thank you for all the great ideas; I love this thread.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Jarhead food! So I seared a pork roast with all the regular seasonings. Salt pepper parprika cayenne. Then I threw it in a crock pot with a doctoerd up BBQ sauce. Superb!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Grunt chow...

Take a package of ramen noodles and carefully open the top and remove the flavor packet. Dump the packet in with the noodles then crush them up. Open back up and dump some tobasco in then then shake it a few times. Dump in mouth and wash down with canteen of warm water.

YIKES! Hahaha! Well I'm glad everyone's enjoying this thread! It looks like we hit a stable necessity.

Hammie Mashed Cheese Taters

6 washed red potatoes
    3-6 slices of leftover ham (chopped FINELY)
    Salt & Pepper to taste (lay low on the salt b/c of the ham)
    a LOT of grated cheese
    2/3 Cup o butter (I'm from the south.. get over it)
    Milk

Boil quartered red potatoes until soft. Mash with fork in large mixing bowl. Add ham, butter, and about 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Add milk if texture is not whippy enouogh. Mix well, taste, add salt & pepper to taste. Plop all of that into a nice pretty baking dish and top with however much cheese you want. Bake for 15 mins at 350 degrees (or until cheese is melted).

Super fattening, sodium filled, cholesterol filled GOODNESS

HAHA... <3

Credits
    Savings
    Images

OK,,,I'll chime in.

Something I made up for the kids when they were quite young. Kids love finger food. They still ask for em when they come around.

Mexican Weggies,,,,,,

Spread a flour tortilla with a thin coat of re-fried beans to stick things together.
    Throw it in a lightly oiled frying pan, and quickly spread on some mild salsa.
    Sprinkle on a cheese of your choice,whatever's laying around, and top it off with another flour tortilla.
    Fry one side chrispy, and flip it over. {Careful it don't slide apart}.
    When done, cut it up with a pizza cutter into 'weggies', they love that word.
    Stack em on a plate, and turn on cartoons. Guaranteed hit.

{Who said dads can't cook?}

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Grunt chow...

Take a package of ramen noodles and carefully open the top and remove the flavor packet. Dump the packet in with the noodles then crush them up. Open back up and dump some tobasco in then then shake it a few times. Dump in mouth and wash down with canteen of warm water.
    The only thing that could have made this better is halizone. . .

Since turkey day is coming up....

The Legendary Hot Brown Recipe

Ingredients:

4 oz. Butter

Flour to make a Roux (about 6 tablespoons)

3 - 3 1/2 cups Milk

1 Beaten Egg

6 tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese

1 oz. Whipped Cream (optional)

Salt and Pepper to Taste

Slices of Roast Turkey

8-12 Slices of Toast (may be trimmed)

Extra Parmesan for Topping

8-12 Strips of Fried Bacon

Melt butter and add enough flour to make a reasonably thick roux (enough to absorb all of the butter). Add milk and Parmesan cheese. Add egg to thicken sauce, but do not allow sauce to boil. Remove from heat. Fold in whipped cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.

For each Hot Brown, place two slices of toast on a metal (or flameproof) dish. Cover the toast with a liberal amount of turkey. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey and toast. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of bacon on top, and serve immediately.

Ellie

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter View Post
    Since turkey day is coming up....

The Legendary Hot Brown Recipe

Ingredients:

4 oz. Butter

Flour to make a Roux (about 6 tablespoons)

3 - 3 1/2 cups Milk

1 Beaten Egg

6 tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese

1 oz. Whipped Cream (optional
    )

Salt and Pepper to Taste

Slices of Roast Turkey

8-12 Slices of Toast (may be trimmed)

Extra Parmesan for Topping

8-12 Strips of Fried Bacon

Melt butter and add enough flour to make a reasonably thick roux (enough to absorb all of the butter). Add milk and Parmesan cheese. Add egg to thicken sauce, but do not allow sauce to boil. Remove from heat. Fold in whipped cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.

For each Hot Brown, place two slices of toast on a metal (or flameproof) dish. Cover the toast with a liberal amount of turkey. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey and toast. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of bacon on top, and serve immediately.

Ellie

Do you use cool whip type whip cream? Or the dairy heavy whipping cream all whipped up? (sugar/no sugar?)

Awesome recipe!

dairy heavy whipping cream

I made it last night for the Marines at the bar I work at....

They all loved it....It was done in less than 15 minutes...

This weekend I'm making meatball subs for them....
    They are spoiled by us barmaids....

Ellie

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter View Post
    dairy heavy whipping cream

I made it last night for the Marines at the bar I work at....

They all loved it....It was done in less than 15 minutes...

This weekend I'm making meatball subs for them....
    They are spoiled by us barmaids....

Ellie

Ugh.. I know us young ones are needy... but do you whip the whipping cream or just pour it on in there? I feel dumb >.< Oh.. and if I'm ever in Lejeune, I will def have to try out said meatball subs!

Last edited by DobbinsBlythe; 10-28-08 at 08:29 AM. Reason: speak too fast for my own good....

just (pour)fold in a little....

When it cooks it thickens up more.....

Ellie

Pear Salad (A southern traditional recpie )

Canned pear halves
    Mayonnaise
    Maraschino cherries (stemless and pitted)
    shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Drain the pear halves. Set all pretty like on a nice serving platter. Spoon mayo to fill the pit area of the pear halves. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the mayo and top with a maraschino cherry.

Sounds disgusting, but is ABSOLUTELY delicious. It wouldn't be a southern tradition if it wasn't good.

Thread Information