How about a Recipe Swap?! - Page 24
Create Post
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Hahaha..I could mail them to y'all = ) As a Thank you for serving this country=)

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Militarys Dautr View Post
    Hahaha..I could mail them to y'all = ) As a Thank you for serving this country=)
    OK!!! and Thank You.
    I'll Take 2 Dozen then.

PS, Joe that was a Great Corned Beef recipe Brother.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

JALAPENO CHEESE BARS

Ingredients:

1/2 lb. grated Swiss cheese

1/2 lb. grated Monterey Jack cheese

1/2 lb. grated sharp cheddar cheese

1 cup jalapenos, chopped and seeded

6 eggs

1 tsp. minced garlic

1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300. Coat 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.

Spread the chopped jalapenos on the bottom of the casserole dish.

Layer the cheeses evenly on top of the jalapenos.

Beat eggs, garlic and salt together and pour over jalapeno cheese mixture.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.

Allow to fully cool (about 15 minutes) before slicing into squares.

Bratwurst Cooked in Beer with Smothered Cabbage
    Instructions
    Preheat the grill. Place the beer in a saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the liquid to a boil. Add the sausages and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the sausages from the liquid, reserving the liquid. Set the sausages aside. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the bacon and set aside. Discard the all the bacon fat except for 1/4 cup. Place 1/4 cup of the fat back into the pan and add the onions. Season with black pepper. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Add the cabbage. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to saute for 4 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Stir in the garlic, mustard and 2 cups of the liquid from the sausages. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reseason with salt and pepper. Place the sausages on the grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side. To serve, place the sausages between each bun. Top each sausage with some of the smothered cabbage. Serve with the potato salad.

Yield: 8 servings
    Ingredients
    8 links of fresh bratwurst
    4 (8-ounce) cans of beer
    8 ounces bacon, chopped
    2 cups julienned onions
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 small head of cabbage, cored and shredded
    Salt
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1/4 cup whole grain mustard
    8 egg hot-dog buns
    4 cups Floís Potato Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Palmer View Post
    Bratwurst Cooked in Beer with Smothered Cabbage
    Instructions
    Preheat the grill. Place the beer in a saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the liquid to a boil. Add the sausages and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the sausages from the liquid, reserving the liquid. Set the sausages aside. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the bacon and set aside. Discard the all the bacon fat except for 1/4 cup. Place 1/4 cup of the fat back into the pan and add the onions. Season with black pepper. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Add the cabbage. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to saute for 4 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Stir in the garlic, mustard and 2 cups of the liquid from the sausages. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reseason with salt and pepper. Place the sausages on the grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side. To serve, place the sausages between each bun. Top each sausage with some of the smothered cabbage. Serve with the potato salad.

Yield: 8 servings
    Ingredients
    8 links of fresh bratwurst
    4 (8-ounce) cans of beer
    8 ounces bacon, chopped
    2 cups julienned onions
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 small head of cabbage, cored and shredded
    Salt
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1/4 cup whole grain mustard
    8 egg hot-dog buns
    4 cups Floís Potato Salad

I love Bratwurst!!! Great Recipe!

JALAPENO CORN BREAD

Prep time : 15 min Cook time : 20 min or until done ready in : 35 min
    9 servings
    Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups cornmeal
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    6 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 eggs
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
    Directions:
    1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Stir in jalapenos. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
    2. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares or wedges. Serve warm and add butter,
    Optional : add a can of corn to give it a western flavor- drain corn and add after all the ingredients are mixed

Sugar in cornbread......never......that's called yankee johnny cake....yuk.

A tablespoon of sugar in cornbread doesn't change the taste.. just the moisture of the cornbread.

If you added like a 1/4 cup of sugar, it would be sweet and just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by DobbinsBlythe View Post
    A tablespoon of sugar in cornbread doesn't change the taste.. just the moisture of the cornbread.

If you added like a 1/4 cup of sugar, it would be sweet and just not right.

Also, I Think it helps level out the flavor...I have never ever made cornbread without having to at least put in a tablespoon of sugar. It may sound weird but its what makes it delicous = ) Its a good recipe.

Never Fail Pie Crust
    passed to me from my mother inlaw

3 Cups flour
    1 Cup Shortening (crisco)
    1 tsp. salt (I use a dash)
    1 egg, beaten
    1 TBL white vinegar
    6 TBL cold water

Mix flour, shortening, and salt until crumbly, with a fork or dough cutter. Add vinegar and egg. Then add water

Refrigerate for 15 min. Roll on floured surface as needed.

The dough can be frozen and I think this makes one pie crust, but I haven't made it in a while, so you may have experiment.

Nobody I know of in the south puts sugar in their cornbread.

Raised in Alabama-- I put about a tablespoon of sugar in my cornbread for moisture. COMMON trick for good cooks... My mom learned from my dad's mom (a genuine redneck from Alabama who NEVER left the boonies--no high school education, 1 50 acre farm, chicken houses, about 70 head of cattle, fighting roosters, muskedines, moonshine, and 9 children).

Southern enough? I mean I know I wasn't raised in LOWER Alabama.. but I was driving a tractor by the time I was 10.

It's a trick, not for taste, just for moisture. GEEZ. You need to come to my house. You will never doubt my southern heritage again!

Whoa now, I'm not doubting your southern heritage. I was raised in Louisiana and a couple farms in North Carolina. We didn't even have a tractor, just a team of draft horses on one farm and a mule on the other. We even ground our own corn to make the meal for the cornbread. We had cornbread for supper every single night, ha, ha. Although I'm only 48, that sure does bring back good memories. I don't even have a recipe for my cornbread. I just mix some cornmeal (the right kind is the secret), it used to be three rivers brand but they quit making it, (now it's made by white lily), buttermilk, maybe an egg (egg makes in a little more moist and airy) and some grease. Cook it in a well seasoned cast iron skillet at 400 for about 25 minutes and it comes out perfect every time. If you think I can't taste a tablespoon full of sugar in a cake of cornbread, you're wrong. Maybe we should have a "throwdown" on the food network, lol..........happy eating

Quote Originally Posted by ringoffire View Post
    Never Fail Pie Crust

3 Cups flour
    1 egg, beaten
    1 TBL white vinegar
    6 TBL cold water

Mix flour, shortening, and salt until crumbly, with a fork or dough cutter. Add vinegar and egg. Then add water

The dough can be frozen and I think this makes one pie crust, but I haven't made it in a while, so you may have experiment.

I like things that are fool proof. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by DobbinsBlythe; 04-17-10 at 01:02 PM. Reason: messed up?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ringoffire View Post
    Never Fail Pie Crust

3 Cups flour
    1 egg, beaten
    1 TBL white vinegar
    6 TBL cold water

Tina,
    Can I roll that out on Waxed Paper instead of flour?

Rocky

Thread Information