How about a Recipe Swap?! - Page 26
Create Post
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    cant wait to eat all of this food here!!!!!

Stuffed Burger Rolls

2 Hoagie rolls.

1 lb ground beef.

1 egg.

1/4 cup chopped onion.

2 minced garlic cloves.

handful of fresh chopped cilantro.

'' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' " " " " parsley.

2Tbsp water.

traditional or favorite seasonings.

2 Tbsp butter

Saw one end off each Hoagie and gut (save the caps). Crumble the bread innards into a bowl with egg, water, parsley, cilantro - mix.

Brown the beef, drain off grease, add chopped onion and 1/2 the minced garlic, (seasonings) and continue cooking thoroughly.

Add cooked beef to the bowl of pre-prepped ingredients and stir it up.

Spoon beef into the Hoagies and plug it with the end caps inverted.

Heat 2 Tbsp butter and 1/2 the minced garlic; brush liquid all over Hoagies.

Bake on *center rack or above at 375° for 20 minutes or so - get after it

Goes well with steamed Asparagus, green beans, snap peas...

* be prepared to scrape the Hoagies like burnt toast if they bake too close to the heating element

Emeril might not have consulted with Big Bill Galbraith of Klicker Mountain Cattle Co, because Big Bill would say: Don't have to retain any starter, so i use it all if need be because i'll be boiling up more potatoes soon enough!

Potato Water Sourdough Starter

Ingredients
    • 3 medium baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and cubed
    • 1 quart water
    • 2 1/2 cups potato water
    • 1 package active dry yeast
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    Directions

In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water. Cook over medium heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes, reserving water and using potatoes for another use. Cool the cooking liquid to lukewarm (110 degrees F).
    In a large bowl, combine the potato water, dry yeast, and sugar. Let sit until the yeast blooms and becomes foamy, about 5 minutes. (If the yeast does not bloom, discard the mixture and begin again with a new yeast.) Add the flour and stir vigorously to work air into the mixture. Cover with a towel let sit in a warm, draft-free place for 8 to 12 hours. (The mixture should become very bubbly.) Use immediately or cover loosely with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.

Drop Biscuits!

Preserving the Starter: Each time you remove a portion of the starter for a recipe, reserve at least 1/4 cup and replace the amount you have taken out with equal amounts of flour and water.
    For example, if you remove 1 cup of starter, you must replace it with 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of warm water. Whisk these ingredients into the starter until blended but not completely smooth, cover loosely, and return to the refrigerator.
    Also, the starter must be maintained by feeding it every few days. Refresh by removing 1 cup of the starter (give to a friend or discard it) and adding 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of warm water. Whisk until blended but not smooth. Cover loosely and return to the refrigerator.
    If you plan to be away longer than a week, freeze the starter in a sterilized, airtight freezer container. Thaw the starter 2 days before you plan to bake with it. Refresh as indicated above with 1 cup each of flour and warm water. Cover and leave at room temperature 12 hours or overnight before using.

CAUTION: Never keep your starter tightly closed! The gasses expelled by the yeast will build up pressure and may cause the container (such as a glass jar) to burst!

Some folks seek and prefer artisan designer breads and pastry's with euro-labels like Biscotti, Croissant. Baguette!?

Cowboys like sourdough biscuit.

Covered in gravy; a cook can can satisfy a hungry cowhand with a couple bucks worth of feed.

When there is no butter, use bacon grease! he don't care, unless the portions are stingy

know what i'm sayin

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Emeril might not have consulted with Big Bill Galbraith of Klicker Mountain Cattle Co, because Big Bill would say: Don't have to retain any starter, so i use it all if need be because i'll be boiling up more potatoes soon enough!

Potato Water Sourdough Starter

Ingredients
    • 3 medium baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and cubed
    • 1 quart water
    • 2 1/2 cups potato water
    • 1 package active dry yeast
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    Directions

In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water. Cook over medium heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes, reserving water and using potatoes for another use. Cool the cooking liquid to lukewarm (110 degrees F).
    In a large bowl, combine the potato water, dry yeast, and sugar. Let sit until the yeast blooms and becomes foamy, about 5 minutes. (If the yeast does not bloom, discard the mixture and begin again with a new yeast.) Add the flour and stir vigorously to work air into the mixture. Cover with a towel let sit in a warm, draft-free place for 8 to 12 hours. (The mixture should become very bubbly.) Use immediately or cover loosely with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.

Drop Biscuits!

Preserving the Starter: Each time you remove a portion of the starter for a recipe, reserve at least 1/4 cup and replace the amount you have taken out with equal amounts of flour and water.
    For example, if you remove 1 cup of starter, you must replace it with 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of warm water. Whisk these ingredients into the starter until blended but not completely smooth, cover loosely, and return to the refrigerator.
    Also, the starter must be maintained by feeding it every few days. Refresh by removing 1 cup of the starter (give to a friend or discard it) and adding 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of warm water. Whisk until blended but not smooth. Cover loosely and return to the refrigerator. Or, leave it out covered loosely in a warm room for 8 or more hours to more efficiently rejuvenate the starter to it's former glory. It doesn't grow well surrounded by cold air
    If you plan to be away longer than a week, freeze the starter in a sterilized, airtight freezer container. Thaw the starter 2 days before you plan to bake with it. Refresh as indicated above with 1 cup each of flour and warm water. Cover and leave at room temperature 12 hours or overnight before using.

CAUTION: Never keep your starter tightly closed! The gasses expelled by the yeast will build up pressure and may cause the container (such as a glass jar) to burst!
    revised

Springer Salmon

King flesh retails for about $30lb right now, if you can get it. Today a customer presented to me this slab as a gratuity.

Not the deepest red i've seen but very rich, firm, smells like nothing

Special Sauce: olive oil, lemon juice, various seasonings but mostly ranch dip

Covered with crushed tortilla chips, onion, cilantro and parsley. The green garnish is moist, but gets pushed to the side after about 6 minutes so it doesn't burn up and crumble to ash on the fish.

Dry bake at 375° for around 30 minutes. I'll cut the thinner portions away that cook first and serve them up as appetizers so pop's don't starve out

Kids love these at Easter morning breakfast--
    -Sailboat Eggs w/ cheese triangle "sails" on a
    pretzel stick.

In the mountains there is nothing better than sour dough biscuits and mutton.

breakfast for dinner: pigs in sourdough pancake blankets - maple syrple

Johnsonville Italian spicy sausage and bell peppers, ever had it? That's good victuals right there. I sided it with crunchy Ore-Ida onion rings instead of sourdough biscuits. Rocky?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Iwill have to try this one, thank you, s/f

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ok the Johnsonville spicey italian .... yum

Slice up a bunch of yellow onions and put them in a large pot. Put about a 12 pack of the cheapest beer to can find in there .... anything but milwaukees beast is fine. There is something about that stuff that stinks up the kitchen. Add your sausages and put on boil. If there isn't enough liquid just top it off with water. Splash of vinegar. Let it boil for an hour.

While your sausages are boiling cut up in inch slices ... red pepper green pepper and yellow pepper. Put those on saute in a fry pan with a half stick of butter and a good dash of black pepper as well as a little cumin.

Warm up the BB-Q ..... put your sausages on and ever 2 minutes or so give them a roll so you brown up the whole skin. When they are looking done toss em back in their bath (forgot to say keep that on the bubble warm) . Toast some potato roll buns on the grill and serve a sausage with some of the onions out of the bath and a bunch of the sauted peppers. Mustard to taste.

I like mine with some fresh sauted snap beans
    clip the ends off the beans then cut in half and set aside in cold water.
    brown up about a half lb of thick bacon. I like the already peppered bacon.
    When the bacon is crisp set aside on paper towels but save the grease. I pour off most of the grease in a soup can and save it for another time. (actually my gas grill has caste iron grddles and if you paint it with bacon grease every time before lighting it will remain non-stick, rust free, and well seasoned forever). Anyway ... probaly 4 tablespoons of bacon grease in the fry pan and add 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds and toast them for a bit, then add the beans. I'm a keen fan of thyme and usually sprinkle a half teaspoon of ground on top while it is cooking; fresh is better but hard to come by. Toss em around till done.

If you are looking for a starch to go along with it I like to slice yukon gold potatoes in half in slices then a couple yellow onions. I use the wifes fancy lasgna pan to set it up. Put a strip of heavy duty tin foil long ways then another side ways and put all the potatoes and onions in there. Couple pats of butter and a good sprinkle of papika. Fold the long ones together then the side ones together and make a nice packet. If it looks like it might leak just give it another wrap of foil. Put it on the grill first and cook it 20 minutes per side. I keep it away from the hottest part of the grill and then just transfer it to the top rack while I cook the sausage.

I reckon total time invested in that meal would be about 2 beers. Enjoy

That's quite a feed but what's the fate of the 12 pack of steele reserve in the end?

Thread Information