July 4, 2008

Deployed in Iraq, he appreciates life in U.S.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Shane Selsor, a staff sergeant with the Marines, wrote this letter to his family in Oak Ridge from his duty station in Iraq.

"I think it describes the USA and our honorable intentions perfectly," says his mother, Lee, who said she wants to share it with readers.

On a serious note, I have learned/realized quite a few things during this deployment. Up until this point in my life, I have taken quite a few things for granted.

Coming to another country whose residents don't have the quality of life we have has made me realize how lucky we, as Americans, really are.

We live in an outstanding country that gives us the opportunity to seek any life that interests us; we are able to choose any profession we want and any hobbies to keep ourselves happy during our off time.

We do not need to worry about being killed while standing in line at the grocery store, but only the inconvenience of a long line. (If anyone hears me ***** about something so inconsequential, you have my permission to hit me so I can once again regain my sanity.)

I love the fact that we have a voluntary military that has a good amount of talent and some of the best warriors I could hope to stand next to.

Not one of these guys have to shoot themselves in the foot before they are able to go on leave, nor are they threatened with death if they do not follow orders, which a person of normal intellect knows will only result in death.

I know that I don't have to worry about my local police arresting me and then torturing me for months on end because of a personal grudge.

We all lock our doors at night, but overall we take for granted the safety we enjoy from day to day.

While I will be the first to admit our country and some of the citizens are not perfect, nor do I always agree with the political decisions which are made, I think that the majority of the leaders are trying to make those decisions with the best of intentions (but of course we have those few who don't).

For all of our problems as a nation, I still believe we live in one of the greatest countries.

I am very thankful that I was fortunate enough to be born and raised in such a country, and I thank all of those men and women in history who worked so hard to make it what it is (and also those who have given their lives for the cause).

Although I won't be celebrating Independence Day with the rest of you, nor will I actually be standing on United States' soil, I will be there in spirit, and we Marines will be celebrating in our own way.

And I will not forget that during all of the celebrating, there are men and women who are strapping on their armor and standing duty in any number of places to keep not only our country free, but also trying to keep citizens of other countries safe.

These citizens may be strangers to us, but we still stand that duty in an effort to share some of the same freedoms that we were raised with.

Happy Independence Day, everyone.

Ellie