First Deployment
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

First Deployment

I knew this was coming and the time has now arrived. By way of background, I have twin sons both of whom are Marines. One graduated Parris Island in May of 07 and the other August of 07. The eldest leaves in August for Iraq. For those of you that have gone through this what can I expect? Not wanting to be too specific for security reasons, he is in Motor T (CLB) and will be stationed to Camp Al Asad.

I appreciate in advance and input.

Honestly if he is in Al Asad he won't be doing too much. Unless he is an operator. Then he may be driving the streets a good bit looking for IEDS or what have you on supply routes. He may even be driving in the supply runs to different areas. Nothing to worry about though. Good gyms and good chow. If he is a mech he'll be working on a lot of trucks becuase the trucks he gets from the unit he relieves will have been driving them all summer. From personal experience we usually just drive the trucks until they break becuase of how long it takes to get them back. Whenever it cools down more he won't have to worry about servicing the trucks as much becuase the weather won't be as harsh.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the input. He is an operator, licensed to drive the 7 tons and the LVS. He also has an explosive endorsement. Your comments give me some idea of what to expect.

There are dozens of different things he could be doing. More than likely he'll be clearing the roads or driving them for supply runs. I haven't seen too much variation from this, but I know there are always some. I'm assuming since he will be there and he is with a logistics battalion it will be one of the two that I've stated.

Credits
    Savings
    TMann,
    I can't tell you what to expect but I can refer you to websites that will provide you officially sanctioned and released for public viewing information relative to your sons deployment.
    1.Your sons' Battalion and Regiment websites. Those sites may provide you with information that will give you a good idea about what's going on in general terms.
    2.If your son is aboard an ocean vessel, look for the vessels' website. For example, if your son is sailing on the USS Kearsarge, visit the Kearsarge website.
    3. Visit usmc.mil and do some navigating/searching. Search for your sons' Battalion and Regiment. Your son may be going back to the theatre of operations that was visitied by the last group of Marines from his Batallion and Regiment. Search for images if you would like. You should get an idea about what your son might be encountering and the terrain your son will be moving around in.
    4. Visit Defenselink.mil. This is a Department of Defense website and it has a varied amount of what may be relative links that you may wish to visit.
    5. Check out MOTOMAIL. Go to Motomails' website and register for free. You may be able to write your son for free.
    Adios, for now.
    Gary

Credits
    Savings
    Just to add to Gary's list - the mail may be a bit slow getting back to you once they get boots on the ground - do not let this alarm you - just be sure to keep writing frequently.

Once you get a mail address - things that are appreciated (as the mother of a Marine who did 3 tours) include baby wipes, baby oil, hard candy and believe or not, Tootsie Pops ( given to the kids and enjoyed by Marines) - also, cookies, crackers, hard cheeses, sausage. I sent a salami from Katz's Deli in New York - tigger said he never knew his squad could be so fast with bayonets. Also Skin-so-Soft is a big hit. Cotton socks and extra skivvies as well.

Do not send anything with chocolate - or chocolate period. It melts - it changes in taste. When my kid asked for oatmeal cookies or ginger snaps, it was the big clue.

And write, write, write!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You guys will never know how much your Marines appreciate your doing all of this for them. I know I appreciated the hell out of my Mom for the boxes of stuff she would send when I was in Japan especially. She would send all kinds of stuff for me and everybody else in the Shop - the guys got cigars, one of the girls had her child over there with her - my Mom sent that child something too. She sent a rum cake one time - by the time that box got there all the rum had settled to the bottom. When I opened up the box, all you could smell was that rum. That stuff was good too! She also sent me a little glass thing with a top on it and she had put a pine scented stuff with a pine cone - it was for wherever I was and missed Home - I could take the top off it and smell the pine trees where I came from. It worked.

Anyway, they love you for doing it for them.

Credits
    Savings

Smile

Thank you all for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by TMann View Post
    I knew this was coming and the time has now arrived. By way of background, I have twin sons both of whom are Marines. One graduated Parris Island in May of 07 and the other August of 07. The eldest leaves in August for Iraq. For those of you that have gone through this what can I expect? Not wanting to be too specific for security reasons, he is in Motor T (CLB) and will be stationed to Camp Al Asad.

I appreciate in advance and input.
    WELL YOU CAN TRY AND SUPPORT THOSE BOYS THE BEST YOU CAN WITH FOOD AND SUNDRY BOXES IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE MAILING LIMITS...GO TO ANYMARINE.COM...THE LISTS ARE THERE AS TO WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT SEND IN COUNTRY. JUST WRITE OFTEN, EVEN IF YOU DON'T GET ANY RETURN...KEEP WRITING TO THEM...THEY'LL APPRECIATE IT AND THEY WILL GET IT.

Credits
    Savings
    We spoke with him yesterday. Though 110+ at 29 Palms he rather have that than the hot and humid weather at Camp Lejeune. Nice to hear his voice. Thanks again for the advise.

Thread Information