The student becomes the teacher
First sergeant uses deadly expertise to improve Corps, pupils, family
Lance Cpl. Ryan Wicks

ABOARD THE USS ESSEX, Adaman Sea (July 3, 2008) -- 1st Sgt. Charles H. Hutto first took an interest in martial arts as a child, watching it on television and admiring its discipline, unknowing of the fact that he would one day become a master of multiple styles of martial arts and become an instructor of instructors for the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program.

Hutto, the company first sergeant for Headquarters and Service Company, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, aggressively works to spread his expertise as a Marine Corps Martial Arts Instructor Trainer. His battalion is currently the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit's battalion landing team.

Hutto's passion for martial arts began at the age of 13 with the study of Tae-Kwon Do. He later branched out into Shoin Ryu Karate, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, combat Karate, Jiu-jitsu and Kendo.

He carried his love of martial arts with him into the Corps, and in May of 2001, during his tour as a drill instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif., he added to his passion by becoming a green belt-level martial arts instructor in MCMAP. But he didn't stop there.

At that time, according to Hutto, MCMAP was in its infancy and instructors were a necessity.

"By November 2001, I earned my black belt instructor status," he added. "In the span of about 10 months, I went from a tan belt to a black belt-level instructor trainer. This was in large part to having a civilian martial arts background."

As a martial arts instructor trainer, the most important thing he ensures is that proper training is passed down the line.

"I teach instructors so that they can teach the up and coming Marines and sailors," Hutto said." I want to make sure the Marine Corps continues to train Marines in MCMAP the right way and uphold its traditions."

Hutto's students speak on his behalf, in that he is a great mentor and teacher.

"He goes by the book, and he cares about the caliber of his students," said Sgt. Isaac Perez, a legal chief with the BLT 2nd Bn., 4th Marines. "He always puts those around him before himself and shows great attention to detail when he teaches. I learned a lot from him while assisting him with a green belt instructor course. He kept all the Marines motivated, and no one dropped out."

Along with teaching Marines martial arts, Hutto has also instructed young aspiring martial artists in the civilian world.

"The most unique place I have taught was at the Boys and Girls Club in Vista, Calif., for the underprivileged children of the area," Hutto said. "They didn't have any money for classes so I taught them free of charge. It was very rewarding, and it made me feel good to help teach the kids how to properly defend and protect themselves."

But Hutto's drive to teach doesn't always take him away from home. His family participates in martial arts with him, and they understand how it can impact someone's character.

"I liked being taught martial arts. It is more than just kicking and punching," said Logan Hutto, 13, one of Hutto's three daughters. "It's about learning your strengths and weaknesses. I like learning martial arts with my dad because he will always be there to help me train, and I think it's a great way to bond."

A job that lets him teach and mentor those at work, off duty and at home is always something Hutto has aspired to.

"I joined the Marine Corps to make a better life for me, my wife and my future family," said Hutto, a Noblesville, Ind., native. "I didn't want to stay in my same hometown, doing the same job as everyone, having an average life. I wanted to make a difference in my life and the lives of others."

In the end, Hutto has a great sense of pride in martial arts and believes that it is a very important skill one which he hopes to teach for years to come.

"You can't beat that, teaching people how to defend themselves in all situations, whether it's in combat or back home."

Ellie