Station
Create Post

Thread: Station

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Station

What are the chances of being stationed where you requested? I only ask because I live near San Diego and I want Pendalton. I know nothing is set in stone but are the chances fairly good at getting your requested station?
    Thanks.

I never had the choice of where I could get stationed.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Ohh I was told that you were able to put in a request.

You'd be able to put your preference in school and its either you get it or you don't. Like others have said, its within needs of the Marine Corps. I was one of the lucky ones to get Pendleton. Your choices are west coast, east coast or overseas. Say you wanted west coast, and if you do get it, you can either be stationed here in Pendleton or it could be MCRD San Diego, it depends on your MOS too by the way.

Could also be Mirimar depending on your job. 29 Palms is west coast as well.

Regardless, there are good things and bad things about any location. Being close to home can actually be bad for your Marine Corps career. Our friends from high school don't always make the best decisions- and their stupidity can cause problems for Marines.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Could it also depend on whether you are active or reserve?

If you are active and go to MCRD and soi at Pendleton you will most likely get west coast. For 03xx thats means Pendleton or 29 Palms. I was lucky enough to get Pendleton which was very close to my house. However I have heard of Marines going east coast after doing everything on the west coast. The request is a waste of time. They wont even look at it. The only way to pick where eactly you want to be stationed and get it is when you re enlist.Until then keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Cpl.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It seems a little odd to me to join the Marines from California and want to stay in California. Don't you want to see Hawaii or Okinawa or Guam? Maybe explore the east coast in Virginia or North Carolina? I know a guy that was in the Army that joined in Mississippi and got stationed in Alabama less than 100 miles from where he grew up. That is all of the world the Army ever showed him

Sure deployments will take you to far off lands but wouldn't it be cool to actually have lived in Hawaii or Japan or some other cool place?

Yeah I wanted Hawaii and they gave me the next best thing...29 Palms...LOL

heh..Barstow Logbase is also a west coast station. just 2hrs from vegas, though. : )

The unanswered part of the question is reservist vs. active duty and where you get stationed. If you're reservist, you get assigned a reserve unit closest to your home after MOS school or sometimes fresh out of SOI, that has your mos. It depends on your reserve contract, a 90 day reserve will go to your assigned reserve unit fresh out of SOI and then sent to MOS school later, a 180 day reserve will go to SOI and MOS school and then to your assigned station. Active duty will get sent according to MOS and where needed.

I started off as a reservist and the closest reserve unit was MCAS, Cherry Point, so I was driving 3 hours each way monthly. When I got ready to go active duty I did get to do a dream sheet, and after being at Cherry Point for over a year as a reservist I ask for it and got it. When I reenlisted I asked for Parris Island and got it. So, I was one of the lucky ones, I got my choice everytime.

Thread Information