What is a Veteran - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnyhiles View Post
    Thanks Gunny.......

Credits
    Savings
    Gunny, on behalf of my Dad, a wounded Viet Nam vet who is gone now, I thank you for that post. The eyeballs were sweatin' by the second verse.

As always, a true warrior is known by his heart. Thank you for touchiing mine. Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well as the song says " Stand up next to you and Defend her still today ain't no doubt about I love this land God Bless the USA". We are Marines and once earned the Title we are Marines forever. We do our duty and don't ask for anything in return, just that we are the brotherhood of the Corps. Ones that never served in the Corps will never understand this and how we feel about each other. It's does not matter from what era or time, if you earned the Title Marine we are all the same from Nov 10, 1775 and forever. We are all the life blood of the Corps and we feel for each other as more than a branch more like a family.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Semper Fi

U.S.Marine Corps Command at Day's End.

Almighty God,
    By who's grace we are call upon to positions of trust and responsibility,

We ask Your blessing upon all who serve in the UNITED STATES MARINE

CORPS, at home and abroad. Inspire us with the courage to always seek

The truth, and the wisdom to give proper counsel to our comrades. Give

Us the strength to persevere in the face if doubt and adversity, And

Clarity of vision that we may alway know the light when it is revealed

From the darness; That by serving honourably and with wisdom, We may

serve you well and be worthy of our calling.

Amen

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE AND SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY.

ohboyo I don't feel big enough for the shoes you guys are talking about

To All Marine That Have Served"

Veterans Honored the memorys of those Marines who lost
    their lives while serving their God, Country, and Corps:

Often it has been said that;
    "Dates and places, facts and figures are the bare bones of any historical
    event. For,it is the sights, sounds, tast, gestures, and feelings locked
    away in Veterans memories that give history its color and nuance."

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE AND SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am an aging vet now, My left knee and ancle are swolen, and my right wrist has hurt bad for 5 years. I put 2 aspirin in my belly every morning, and a few beers in there every nite.
    Every 6 months, my back locks up, and I don't go to work, I lay on ice.
    I smoke and drink too much, and on some occasions, I cry a little.
    I cut grass, clean the patio, and BBQ every weekend.
    I love my wife, when she most needs it, and I love my kids from a distance.
    I go to work most days in 110, and honor my employer. I work outside.
    I would like a retire with my love,,, But that is expensive.

This site has become a playground, and I could not have found better group of playmates. I feel Honor here. The world is lacking. I feel trust here. The world cannot be trusted. I feel faith here, the world is unfaithful.

Veterans have something,,,, Even my Korean combat Army father-in-law has something other sad humans don't.

We have us.

Sparks, I'm in as bad shape with 75% disability. The pain will never go away, both physical and emotional. I am blessed to have retired from the Corps, and from a major petrochemical company. What I did not get from my last retirement is the relationships we as Marines enjoy through hard work and sacrifice. Like you finding this site, I found one in the early infancy of the internet, Prodigy. There I met many Nam Vets like me, and there on a screen with a keyboard we were able to talk of things we could not and all to often never did with anyone. Eventually we began to meet in DC over Memorial Day, and did for a number of years until age and health got us all. From that I was able to come to grips with events and most of all my feeling of guilt. Guilt that I came back and so many others did not. How many of my recruits did I kill by not doing enough to keep them safe. I thought I did all I could, but did I, what did I forget, what did I not teach them?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Gunny,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyhiles View Post
    Sparks, I'm in as bad shape with 75% disability. The pain will never go away, both physical and emotional. I am blessed to have retired from the Corps, and from a major petrochemical company. What I did not get from my last retirement is the relationships we as Marines enjoy through hard work and sacrifice. Like you finding this site, I found one in the early infancy of the internet, Prodigy. There I met many Nam Vets like me, and there on a screen with a keyboard we were able to talk of things we could not and all to often never did with anyone. Eventually we began to meet in DC over Memorial Day, and did for a number of years until age and health got us all. From that I was able to come to grips with events and most of all my feeling of guilt. Guilt that I came back and so many others did not. How many of my recruits did I kill by not doing enough to keep them safe. I thought I did all I could, but did I, what did I forget, what did I not teach them?
    The only Marines without 'Survivors Remorse' Have gone before us.

I am going to go see the Wall this fall,,, I hope I can handle,,,,, I shall also see VMSN 513, My Brother, A WW2 vet, in NO Carolina, Can't wait,,,But I can, 'Cause I don't know if I can take the Wall. And I have a hard time seeing a Marine pass. Semper Fi,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    The only Marines without 'Survivors Remorse' Have gone before us.

I am going to go see the Wall this fall,,, I hope I can handle,,,,, I shall also see VMSN 513, My Brother, A WW2 vet, in NO Carolina, Can't wait,,,But I can, 'Cause I don't know if I can take the Wall. And I have a hard time seeing a Marine pass. Semper Fi,,,,
    The Wall will take something out of you Spark,I was there in 89.
    You go there looking for a buddy or two,and when you find em,it hits you like a sledge hammer in the gut.
    I didn't know how I was going to react.....

I still remember every minute,,,,,you'll never forget it.
    They have a moble Wall,that travels the country,it was here in Myrtle Beach a year or two ago.
    I took pic's,i'll try to post them.

I'll never forget the time we all went to the Wall, it was daylight. I went through and was impressed and somewhat skittish. Then my wife and I went down around midnight, what a transformation. Feelings of scariness, guilt, shame, and so many other feelings did as one just said "Hits ya in the gut". But then as exiting there was a single little tent with a young lady. We went to see what she was doing and found her to be taking names of Nam Vets for a project. She asked if we would sign the book, I did. Then whe said the 2 words I never heard since '78, "Welcome Home!". I lost it, I ran over to the reflection pool and sat and cried. My wife came by and I asked her to leave me alone. After we got home these feeling hit me again. I told my Dr., he asked me a few questions and next day I was in the "Funny Farm" for a few weeks. They got me on meds and all is well. Every so often the meds begin to fail but something new comes along and is well for a few years. Hell, I'm 70, won't have to put up with it much longer.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gunny,,,,,, I don't know if I can face it. My eyes are wet now. The portable has been in Vegas, and I couldn;t go. My wife don't get it.

Thread Information