New guy here
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy here

New guy here

Hello everyone, my name is Travis and I want to become a Marine. I live in Brookneal VA, you've probably never heard of it, but it's near Lynchburg VA which is where the recruiters office is. About a year ago Sgt. Hite came to my house to tell me what the Marine Corps had to offer. To be honest I wasn't really interested. I had never considered the military before, but when I met this Marine and saw what he was a part of, I took interest. I thought about it for a long time, about 10 months. I almost forgot about it because I had gotten a new job, untill Sgt. Hite called me again. He told me the three things I had chosen that I wanted out of life at our first meeting and asked me if I was getting them. I thought about it and I wasn't so I decided that i wanted to join. I made this decision in the second week of April. I weighed about 222 lbs, 5' 6" and was really out of shape. As of right now I weigh 198 lbs and i need to loose 7 more to go into DEP. I've gone from running a tenth of a mile and having to stop and walk, to running 1.5 miles without stopping almost daily, from being able to do 0 pullups to 1 (the first one i've ever been able to do). I see a change in myself and I like it, so I can only imagine what acually enlisting will do for me. my goal is to DEP by the end of July, and i would like to ship by the end of the year. This site is amazing and I would like to thank all of the Marines that put there lives on the line for our country, and i hope that soon i will join you.

Welcome aboard Travis...this website is a great source of knowledge so use it! Good luck with your journey of becoming a Marine.

Travis, keep up the hard work. We've had guys and gals on this site that had to to lose more weight than you, so it can be done...just keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis89 View Post
    I weighed about 222 lbs, 5' 6" and was really out of shape. As of right now I weigh 198 lbs and i need to loose 7 more to go into DEP. I've gone from running a tenth of a mile and having to stop and walk, to running 1.5 miles without stopping almost daily, from being able to do 0 pullups to 1 (the first one i've ever been able to do). I see a change in myself and I like it, so I can only imagine what acually enlisting will do for me. my goal is to DEP by the end of July, and i would like to ship by the end of the year. This site is amazing and I would like to thank all of the Marines that put there lives on the line for our country, and i hope that soon i will join you.
    You are doing good so far but you have a long way to go.
    You need to work on everything, not just being ready for a PFT. Meaning pushups, sprints, long distance running (4+ miles) and hiking.
    Keep focusing on the 25 meter target, work hard, and you just might make it.

Hey Travis, my name is Steve. I live in Lynchburg and I have been working very hard to lose weight too. As of right now I have lost 93lbs since Aug. of 2006. My goal is to DEP in also by Aug. I know I will make weight before then, but there are a few things I have to take care of first. I have been talking to SSgt. Ferdinand since October of last year and he is excited for me to enlist. Im 5'5'' and my highest weight was 290lbs. so yes I have come a long way. You will find this site to be very helpful. If you have any questions PM me. Also congrads on changing your mind about joining the Marine Corps

Respect
    Fill out your profile
    Spell correctly
    No Abreviations
    Follow those rules and you'll be fine. Welcome Aboard.

Good Luck Future Marines!

Think positive Travis,and you'll succeed.......

Travis, there are a lot of us here in the same boat. We just need to keep each other in check and on track. Good luck!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement, and way to go on your weight loss Steve. Every so often I'll increase my workout as I build more strength and endurance and I think now is about time. I'm going to up my runs to 2 miles and keep working on pullups, situps, and pushups. The thing I struggle with most is my diet. I eat healthy as i can but i really don't know how much I should be eating of what. For breakfast I'll usually have a banana, for lunch, Subway or a tuna or turkey sandwich, and what ever my mom makes for dinner and all I drink is water. If anyone has diet or exercise tips i would love to hear them. Thanks to all of you.

Welcome aboard future poolee, and future Marine!! Sounds like you already have made the commitment needed.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement, and way to go on your weight loss Steve. Every so often I'll increase my workout as I build more strength and endurance and I think now is about time. I'm going to up my runs to 2 miles and keep working on pullups, situps, and pushups. The thing I struggle with most is my diet. I eat healthy as i can but i really don't know how much I should be eating of what. For breakfast I'll usually have a banana, for lunch, Subway or a tuna or turkey sandwich, and what ever my mom makes for dinner and all I drink is water. If anyone has diet or exercise tips i would love to hear them. Thanks to all of you.
    Getting you body ready for boot camp is more about endurance then strength.

If you're trying to loose weight you should be counting calories. You should be at 1800 - 2000 calories a day, no more. To help with loosing weight eat 5 times a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Your breakfast is not nearly enough. It should be between 400 - 500 calories. You need to consume protein in the morning. Good sources are eggs, only the whites, and low fat turkey sausage. Don't salt your food. Stay away from fried foods. Your snacks between meals should be between 200 - 300 calories.

If you eat at Subway good meats are roast beef or turkey, no processed meats (salami), no cheese, no condiments except for mustard, and on wheat bread.

If you are taking supplements stop, because it will cause problems when you enter Boot camp. The only thing I might suggest is to take a daily multivitamin.

Results will not be quick. Work hard, never quit.

Thank you sir, that is a huge help! Today I will make a meal plan for the week following your advice. I was also wondering if it is possible to plateau by running on the same terrain? I've been through 2 plateau's and got through by running more, but I think I'm getting into one now. Would upping my run to 2 miles solve it or should i change where I run?

Credits
    Savings
    Good luck Travis. You have done good work in your gains. There are some real good threads on diet and fitness here. Look them up in the search function. It'll save you some time. Fire away if you have more questions.

Would upping my run to 2 miles solve it or should i change where I run?
    Both.

Thread Information