Info About a 1977 Helicopter Crash - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My husband was killed on that crash also and I have done a lot of info and research on that day. I was published into The Congressionsl Record in 1986 about the events that took place on October 21, 1977. It is haunting when you don't know exactly what happend. please email and I will be glad to share any info I have.
    gloria anderson-goss

Credits
    Savings

1977 helicopter crash

My life was changed forever that day and now it is so long ago I thought no one would remember. Still getting over the shock of finding this, and a survior too. just unbelievable. if any are interested would be glad to share what I know about this day. thank you. gloria

Semper Fi everyone, I just found this site today, and saw this thread.

I was in Subic Bay with Bn Supply, H&S Co, 3/9 when it happened.

I knew 2 who were on board, a big Hawaiian or Samoan guy (cannot remember his name) whom I pulled mess duty with in Camp Schwab, he was killed in the crash. The other was Michael Kane. I flew with him from Ft Hamilton in Brooklyn to SC and on to Parris Island, where we were in boot camp in the same Platoon (185). Kane survived the crash. From the way I remember it, he was injured (broken arm or leg), but somehow managed to get to a top of a hill, met someone there (rescue team?), saluted and said "I'm a gunji mutha f-----r, sir!"

The explaination I heard after it happened, is the 53 was fully loaded with Marines with full combat gear and alice packs, and in addition the 53 was carrying a water buffalo via cable below it. The cable snapped, whipped back up at the tail rotor, causing the 53 to lose control and rotate, ejecting several Marines out the back, and then subsequently rolled down a hill.

After it occured, I was ordered to Mindoro (nervously via 53) for the sole purpose of banding what was left of the 2 turbines and tail rotor stem to a couple of pallets. I believe those were the largest and/or most recognizable parts left of the accident.

My heart goes out to everyone who lost a Marine on that flight.

Semper Fi....

Ken Maddis

PS: Kane......you still around?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

My life was changed forever that day and now it is so long ago I thought no one would remember
    I also was not there I was with F2/3 in Kaneohe,HI.

But please take these words to heart as I remember that incident.

As long as there is one Marine left on the face of this earth they will always remember their fallen brethren and comrades. The Marine Corps is a brother and sisterhood.

Even though we may have not met ALL the Marines from 1775 to present day we mourn for and memorialize ALL our brothers and sisters if only in our hearts.

We sit in bars and we stand at memorials and hoist a toast to the lives of our heroes and comrades.And shed the tears for ALL of our Marines...brothers and sisters.

Rest assured that it may seem like the burden at times is heavy and no one remembers....and this this last may be true on dates...but we will always remember our fallen comrades from every clime and place in our hearts and until our dying breath...and then we will go through the gauntlet on the streets of gold and meet again!

God bless the United States Marine Corp,ALL of our fallen heroes and the United States of America!

Credits
    Savings

List of those involved with Ch 53 crash Oct. 21, 1977

In memory of those lost and injured on October 21. 1977

(based on govt report, if any errors please correct)

CREW HMH – 462

Crapse, John L., Capt
    Gehardt, George M., Capt.
    Casey, William Sgt.
    Anderson, Charles, Sgt.

PASSENGERS – USMC Alpha

Aguirre, F R LC PL
    Baker, A R LC PL
    Bauer, J R PFC
    Bennett, R N C PL
    Bowman, Steve R LC PL
    Brinkley, K W PFC
    Dicag, A R CPL
    Ernsberger Jr., L H CPL
    Fitspatrich, M L LC PL
    Hallam, O or O,Hallam CPL
    Jones, B I PFC
    LaFferre, M A PFC
    Layne, H L LC PL
    Quiane, M L LC PL
    Schwartz, K K PFC
    Smith, D G SGT
    Suda, A LC PL
    West, J L LC PL
    Wright, D A PFC

PASSENGERS – USMC Bravo
    Holman, E C PFC
    Workman, J F SSGT
    Jacobson, G J CPL
    Morris, E J PFC
    Fernald D G LC PL
    Hancock, D G LCPL
    Hathway, A W PFC
    Kane, M PFC
    Lane, E N PFC
    Criega, R S LCPL
    Ward, G J PFC
    Perry, R G PFC

PASSENGERS – USN
    Baxter, W C HA

Dolan, S R HN

Exercise Fortress Lightning, October 21, 1977

Hi Gloria - Thanks for that - that is really nice. You said you were published in the Congressional Records - ? Would you have a copy of that? We would really be intereste d in seeing it -

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to do the manifest Gloria, I know it must be difficult, as it is difficult to read. My gut is wrenching as I read it. I am saddened that even looking at the list, that I cannot remember the name of the Marine I served on mess duty with, however I think it was Suda.

I hope we can keep this thread alive from time to time and I hope that some others who may have known them may find this thread and add to it.

Happy Marine Corps Birthday everyone -

Last edited by lightning; 11-10-08 at 08:43 AM. Reason: none

Happy Birthday to you also Alexis and Jake.

Purple Hearts?

Not Hardly, No. It was not downed by Combat, or enemy action. If that was the case I would rate several, other than the Combat Purple Heart I recieved when shot down by Gooks in Vietnam.

every oct is bad for me....

hello, i just found this site, while looking for something on the Fuji fire of oct 19 1979, and now i find this thread on the chopper in p i, i was there also, our com was India co 3/4, and was on the USS New Orleans.....our company was on another ridge and we saw the whole thing, it too has stayed with me , and then the fire in Mt Fuji.....i have such a bad case of ptsd, that has really messed up my life, for years....

semper fi to all my brothers
    Dave

1977 crash

I came across this when i was going through some of my Marine records, and i came across the memorial service that we had on the USS Duluth. I googled Capt. J.L. Crapse and this board came up. I have looked into this a couple of times and could never find anything. I was in Fox 2/3 in the field at the time of the crash and could see it in the distance. As i remember the op ended after this. We had a Memorial service aboard the Duluth:
    Invocation- Chaplain L.J. Rector
    Scripture Readings- 1st LT V.P. Neshyba, USMC- 1ST LT Dossett USMC
    Remarks- LT COL H.M. Nelson C.O. BLT 2/3
    Memorial Meditation- Chaplain F.P Burchell
    Prayers- Capt L.H. Grimes JR. C.O. USS Duluth
    Hym "Eternal Father"
    Gun Salute
    Taps- PFC J.H. Groat
    I'm so glad that this has not been forgotten and God Bless all the people that were involved in this. Cpl Fimon RR

Dear Marine Spouse

Quote Originally Posted by september 23 View Post
    My husband was killed on that crash also and I have done a lot of info and research on that day. I was published into The Congressionsl Record in 1986 about the events that took place on October 21, 1977. It is haunting when you don't know exactly what happend. please email and I will be glad to share any info I have.
    gloria anderson-goss
    I was searching about the internet, thinking of the past, when I ran across your note. I have published a short story for young people (I am now a middle school teacher) based on my experiences there on that October day.
    You can find it in the blog section of this website as an attachment.

Please forgive me for mistakes in names and unit designations- the original story was written before there was so much access to what is now common information. Any official information you could add that would correct my account will be greatly appreciated.

The story is graphic in such a way as to hold the attention of middle school students and portray the sacrifices we made, and our young people continue to make every day in our current world.

Respectfully,

Joe Petito E-5

Fortress Lightning Present and Accounted For

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to do the manifest Gloria, I know it must be difficult, as it is difficult to read. My gut is wrenching as I read it. I am saddened that even looking at the list, that I cannot remember the name of the Marine I served on mess duty with, however I think it was Suda.

I hope we can keep this thread alive from time to time and I hope that some others who may have known them may find this thread and add to it.
    Please see the attachment titled Mindoro Island on the blog side of this website for a personal account of October 21st.

I appreciate corrections

jpetito

More on Fortress Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by MrTeeTyme View Post
    I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I'm looking for information about a helicopter crash my brother, Lance Cpl. Steven Bowman was killed in. From what I remember it was a CH53 helicopter crash on Oct. 20 or 21, 1977. I believe it was in the Philippines. It killed 24 of the 37 onboard.

Does anyone remember this and know where I can find more information about it?

Thanks.

John
    John-

Please see the website: all military . com for more personal stories and references to official documents on the Ch-53 crash in the Philippines. I have also posted a personal story on the Blog side of this website titled Mindoro Island

None of us have forgotten, nor will we ever.

Joe.

Thread Information