Info About a 1977 Helicopter Crash - Page 18
Create Post
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast
    Please know how much the loved ones at home appreciated you and all those who participated in the recovery effort. My brother, Sgt. David G. Smith, was reported missing, along with a few others, for five days. After their bodies were found, we waited for positive identification. Family members will forever be grateful to the military personnel who persevered in the Mindoro terrain to recover our loved ones.

I was in at the time the crash occurred and went to Cherry pt and was Stationed with one of the survivors Mike Kane...he had a blade hit his chest and was suffering some emotional problems...and I can only imagine his pain....the story he told, was they were on their way in and was ask to pick up the water buffalo...dropped cables and was attached however the buffalo had been there some years and one its cables broke sending the helicopter in a spiral downward....wasn't able to recover...that's his story

My name is billy moore I was a cpl in G co BLT 2/3 I was there that day, we seen the bird go down. They had exstended the op a couple days, we where on a combat out post and also helped in the recovery none of us took pictures, it didnt seen right.

Remembering our fallen brethren and everyone touched by this event on this day.

Credits
    Savings
    Dear Little Sister, I did not see this post (#252) before sending you my private message. I am happy to see it though since it answers questions I have already asked of you. I did receive your private reply and I am attempting to respond in kind about the details you ask for about your brother. Sgt. David Smith is as fine a Marine as any would want to be. I am happy to reply with what details I can about your fine Brother and his last days. I am trying to so in a private message but it is apparently too long and will not upload to you. If you have any hesitation to provide me with an email address so I can send it to you, please don't hesitate to contact "September 23" Gloria (Anderson) Goss. We are good friends and she can vouch for my integrity.
    Sincerely,
    MAP

Dear Gary Matthews, I am Sgt. Smith's sister. I discovered this forum earlier this year. Your mention of my brother and the "deal" you made regarding which helicopter you would board took my breath away...for many reasons. This seems strange to say, but thank you for making the deal with him. Knowing the struggles he had when he returned from Vietnam, I am certain your willingness to board the CH46 was a relief to David. I hope you are well. I am comforted to know you and others remember my brother. Leanne

I know that it has been a while since anyone posted here , I too was on the Island when the 53 went down, I was at the water point , got up that morning to a dark cloud of smoke coming from the mt. top. went over to the radio and heard all the chatter about what happened. The worst part that I remember was one of the Samoans was on board and his cousin was on the beach, he was told at first that his cousin had died in the crash and then was told that no he had survived , after about two hours he was again told that the guy didn't survive. He almost beat the officer up that told him. If it hadn't been for a short scrawny cpl getting between him and the officer he would have.

Leanne , I knew Sgt Smith as well, He was really a great guy. even after all the years that have passed . I and all of us that were on the Island that day . remember your Brother and all the rest of the lost. Semper Fi.

Thumbs down I was in your Platoon!

My name is lance corporal Johnny Sorian I was in your platoon. I am the one that ran down the hill and pulled you up. No one would follow me not even the Lt. You were in shock and in bad shape . I made another trip down the hill and put the pilots out they were still burning in their seats. Then I saw my best friend the Hawiiian Mike, Pfc. Wagner and Schwartz, I could not help them. There were two Marines sitting by each other on a rock one in shock and the other one saying I am to evil to die. My third time up the hill the Lt. told the Doc to go down the hill . As we got back down the hill we saw Corporal Jake, he had a open chest wound. Doc had me place my hand on his chest till he could put something on it. Then we moved to another Marine that was laying across a log we had to move him Doc was trying to comfort him the best he could. Doc saved Marines that Day I still can remember that day fresh in my head the hair on my neck still stands up when I hear a helicopter the reason being is my friend Mike Quiane. He cut in front of me in line and took the last seat. I've never spoken about this until finding this site and read some of the posts and wanted say what I experienced. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to talk about this further.

LCPL Johnny Sorian

I want to add to my original post from earlier that I forgot to state that the reason my fellow Marines and Doc did not respond immediately after the crash is that we were all given a direct order to stand by and wait for the engineers, I myself disobeyed orders because I felt the guilt that I was supposed to be on that helicopter instead of my friend Mike.

Semper Fi

LCPL Johnny Sorian

Just a brief note. Those killed by this helicopter crash are represented on the Remembrance Rug by symbols 6254 thru 6277.

For this coming Memorial Day, the Remembrance Rug will be on display at Portland Community College - Sylvania Campus the last three school days before Memorial Day (May 25-27).

It is now about 200 feet long and contains over 10,000 symbols now.

For those in the Portland, Oregon area might be worth stopping by.

Given that few if any of you are in the Portland, OR area - I have taken a few pictures of the portion of the rug that contains symbols 6254-6277.

They are in my User album. There are higher quality versions of them in the General Member area.

There are cards on the sides pointing to where they are.

They are the row of 17 Dark Green over the 6 Lighter Green + Single Dark Blue one which are all connected with a red & blue stripe.

Rug symbols are color-coded by Branch of Service. Greens indicate Marines - Dark Blue is for Navy.

Let me know what if there is anything else you would like to know.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There was one I know, 3Bn/ 9th Marines in Mindoro Philippines. They were Ready Reserve for the 2/9 BLT I was on when we heard of it, some friends I know were badly hurt ,Carter for one...
    Agat

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    In memory of Sgt Charles Anderson, the letter he wrote on Memorial Day 1977 which lands on the same date this year. May they all be rememberedMay 30, l977

Hi love,
    We really had a dull Memorial day here. It rained most all day done here and I really mean hard. So I slept most of the day I guess I’m really worked out. And tonight about an hour ago I went to take a shower and when I went to turn on the water a lizard must have been sitting on the shower head and jumped on me. Glory I almost ****. I let out a yelp they probably heard on the other end of the isle.
    The sun was really nice yesterday so we went down to the beach and took some hot dogs and buns, there was 3 of us from operations that went and I was gone 3 hours and in that much time I got sunburned really bad, I look like a lobster. I don’t know why because the sun wasn’t that hot but boy did I get it good. So I just lay in bed this morning because it really hurt. By back is really red. They say it doesn’t take long and I believe it now.
    Tomorrow night is our first baseball game and I’m starting in left field. I really hope we win -- The commanding officer bought us our caps.
    So what have you been up to this weekend babe. I hope behaving your self. I guess I shouldn’t even say anything like that because I really trust you 100 percent.
    Hey Glory here’s something to think about and really think about it seriously. What would you say if I told you I’d like to try to get some leave in September or October and fly home and we could get married. This is something I want between you and I so don’t tell anyone until we discuss it between ourselves and write back and forth a few times.
    I’m really sure I could get the leave because I have it on the books and LtCol Shuter will be the C.O. and I’m sure we could get him to grant me state's side leave for an occasion something as big as getting married. But think it over OK babe, And we can discuss the possibilities and weigh them and go from there.
    If we decide to I’ll write Capt. Gary Neumann and ask him to be my best man. You haven’t met him but honest to god hon he’s really a super great guy and about as good as friend as a guy can get. And it would cause no hard feelings between Harper and Paul and my brother so just think about It cause honey I love you and need you just so much. The year here is going to be rough but we can do it. I just think it would be great to come home and get married because I love you so much more than anyone ever and it’s no lie.
    How’s my boy and what has he been up to this past week? I’m going to send him a shirt that says “okinawa” on it as soon as I go out in town and find one that would fit him. I guess he’s almost ready for camp. I really think that he will have fun there. It seems good and he needs to get out and get with kinds his age and play. Remember how he use to sit in his room constantly when I first met you and then when he found out how nice it was to go out and play we couldn’t keep him in. He’s really been growing up in the past few months and I wish I was there with you to watch him.
    You know Gloria I love that little squirt -- he’s really special to me and I want the best for him and you.
    Hey hon I’ll write more tomorrow, probably during lunch.
    Till then I’m yours completely now and forever
    love Chuck
    p.s.
    Hi it's me again and I’m off for lunch I can’t help wondering what you are doing now it's 12:30 here so it's about 11:00 in Cleveland. Boy I wish I was at home with you right now. Babe I love you so much. Let’s don’t ever fight like some people. We have so much to be thankful for. The love we share, the times we have been together loving each other as only we two can do and thinking of the future when we will be as one.
    It’s really beautiful if you think about it and it gives us something to look forward to.
    I’m getting a package ready to send to Sam, I got him a marine shirt and a marine book so he should get it in about a week on so I’ll put in the mail tomorrow. So how’s your mom and dad been. Tell them I said “hi” and send them all my thoughts and love.
    Well bozo I got to get back to the ship and work for a while. I’m leaving early to go to baseball. Tonight’s the big game. I hope we are not like the Bad news bears. ha ha
    All my love
    your Chuckie
    16 X’s

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thought's and Prayers....

Thread Information