Info About a 1977 Helicopter Crash - Page 17
Create Post
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    this photo was the last taken of my my husband Sgt. Charles Anderson on Oct.20 or 21, 1977. Just received it recently thanks to this website for such a precious gift.

I was a hospital corpsman with India 3/4 positioned across a horse shoe shaped ridge from where the crash occured. It was a sunny morning as we watched the evacuation of (as I learned later) Kilo 3/9. The facts are that after being loaded with marines carrying full packs and rifles, lifted off, then attached a water buffalo(tank for fresh water) with a cable from the helicopter. As the chopper tried to gain altitude, it couldn't ascend and so the water buffalo was dropped which caused the hook of the cable to rebound into the back rotor of the helicopter causing it to spin down into the side the hill. I would be able to answer some, if not all of your questions if you would like to contact me.

Credits
    Savings
    Dear muirfild,
    would you please consider sharing with the group what promped you to become a member yesterday. Specifically, what link, websearch, or referral brought you here to join us? I am not the Leatherneck.com gatekeeper, nor have I been appointed to police the Operation Fortress Lightning, Oct. 21, 1977 blog for authenticity. I am just another Marine, among many, who happened to live the details of these facts in a very deep and sorrowful way. What could you possible tell us? Please we need to know. I have read all entries from this blog as a member since 2009. I am alerted by email to the latest post's. Details matter greatly here because of the impact they may have on some long time members. I'm sure you are aware of the sensitivites, particularly the most recent of which is the latest phenomenon of "stolen Valor". The purpose of my inquiry is twofold. I have already mentioned the first in the beginning regarding your recent association to the blog. My other purpose is in regard to the details you mention. The "sunny morning" and watching the evacuation of (as I learned later) Kilo 3/9 from a vantage point nearby which was "a horse shoe shaped ridge". Then the very confident comment about "The Facts are......." and you proceed to detail facts we have not yet heard. You observed the "evacuation" from a very distent place, in a dense jungle and "The Facts Are...." Most surprising of all "I would be able to answer some, IF NOT ALL, of your questions if you would like to contact me. You did say you were a Hospital Corps...etc...I am having much difficulty with your entire post since your initial statements would preclude you from being able to provide the "Facts" you are co confident in knowing. Please help us out here.
    MAP

I too remember that hot day in the mountains of Mindoro Island. I was the Senior Corpsman 2/3 BAS. We were 8 clicks in from the beach and followed right behind the Corpsman identified in post 82. We saw the smoke and I, our DR, and four of my best corpsmen were helo lifted to the LZ on top of the revine/waterfall where the helo first started down the mountain. We did not witness the crash but was, as others, informed that it was indeed overloaded, based on load and present conditions, and that it just couldn't recover from the extra lift of the water bull. Some said that the bull got hung in a tree which sling shot the bird down the mountain. I was first to come upon the Marine who the previous Corpsman had treated for broken leg and arm and my guys aided in getting him out via the LZ that RECON had hown out of the jungle mountain top. We were on site until the last victim was evacuated and then my guys and myself were helo lifted to the beach. Just trying to get to the crash site was dogged by trying to overcome noxous fumes from the burning bird and the dense jungle but that as what we do. also put my guys in for Navy Com for their heroics but they were not awarded. I always felt they deserved recognition of sorts and felt bad that this ever happened If any body would like to speak further contact me J.D. Earley Lcdr, USN, Ret (HMC FMF). jerry.earley@rcsi-llc.com

I'm trying to remember who you are. I was HMI Earley from BAS 2/3 and I should know you. I'll have to say I'm sorry up front for not remembering you as I sustained a closed head injury and have lost a portion of my memory. feel free to contact me if you will. Respectfully J.D. Earley Lcdr, USN, Ret. (HMC FMF) jerry.earley@rcsi-llc.com

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Memorial Day
    I wear them today. The metal is cold against my neck. I am changed for today. At first I wore them just for him. But passing years have made it much bigger than that now. I wear them for all who served their country. I am old and the dog tags seem heavier each year. As long as I can wear them, a fallen one is remembered. From my love, whose life was ended too soon, to the the men and women from the war before, and the war before that, and those, like my husband, who died in between. When I am gone who will carry on my tradition? Then I remember it is Memorial Day. The reflection of love and sacrifice made will be in the hearts of those who understand. It will carry on forever. That is the beauty of it. That is why every Memorial Day I slip on my husband's dog tags and reflect on his life and many others I never knew.

Remembering those whom paid the ultimate price this Memorial Day. Especially my brother, LCPL Steven R. Bowman, and the others on this helicopter.

I thank all of you in this thread for the stories you've shared the past 7 years.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Prayers outbound. This thread will never end. I read it as a healing thread.

God Bless...

I was also corpsman for 3/4, India company. I witness the CH 53 spinning and crashing. We immediately reacted and ran the ridge, to crash sight. Once above crash sight, we decended into ravine. The slope was steep, I ended up with a contused tailbone, and evacuated to Clark. But prior to evac, a MD and myself, attempted resuscitation [mouth to mouth and chest compression] to no avail. I proceed down slope, and gave care and "tagging." There was carnage to witness. This event, does change you, I became more introspective and less self centered. I have psychological baggage related to this, but now control my tears better for these men. These men did not die in vain, for they have given me strength, to provide for my country, family, and community. I am indebted, to those that gave the ultimate sacra vise, for they have given me a higher value and appreciation for life. Time is going by rapidly, but I will always remember this day.

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your post, but am glad to hear from someone else who seems to be haunted by this incident. I tried to portray truthfully what happened that morning, but have been basically called a liar for what I remember very clearly to this day. I will take the images of that terrible day with me for the rest of my life. I too recommended my corpsmen for their heroics, and like you were turned down. Everyone performed above and beyond just as we were trained to do.
    M.T. Mcconahy HM3 USN

I remember that day vividly, we had just got done with the exercise, I was with 81MM as a FO/radio operater for Kilo 3/4 and watched as I listened to the radio traffic and sitreps coming over the radio when we where watcing the CH-53 come to pick up the troops, we watched in horror as the Sea stallion could not lift off and went over the side and burst into flames. I remember members of our group the corpsman go running over the mountain top and go to the crash. can also remember the pilot who flew his huey that day as he took one after another of the wounded and medivaced them safely, he only had a small trail to put down on and he was truely a master at his craft never once failing to get in and out , God bless all who perished and also those who lived to tell there story.

Dear Mr. Jacobson, I am the sister of David G. Smith, who was killed in the 1977 helicopter crash in the Philippines in October 1977. My parents were first told that David was missing; five days later they were told his body was found. My parents are deceased; I am 66-years old, four years younger than David would be now. All these years have passed and here I am seeking information about David's last moments as a proud Marine. Thank you, sir, for your service. I hope you and the other survivors remain well. Sincerely, Leanne Smith Medema

Mrs Leanne Smith Medema, I wish I could help you, at the time I was responding from another company or large group of Marines not attached to the Marines that had crashed that day. I did talk to patients/survivors, but unable to recall names. I am not sure how many, if any Marines or sailors expired after being helicopter to hospitals. You must rest your conscious that your brother died with plenty of his Marine brothers, and they ensembles to the holy gate together. In a military perspective, dying with your "Brothers," is not a bad way to end your life on earth. I myself have reflected on this incident many times, so your brother has given me strength to live my live. I thank him and those other Marines and sailors whom we crossed roads together. Sincerely Gary Parido

Seeing this post today and reflecting upon that tragic day I want to share especially for the loved ones left behind to know about some selfless acts from their Marine Corp brothers that day. The excercise was winding down when the accident occurred, 2/3 was not far from the crash site and when it did happen everyone new something bad had happened. Once the battalion had notice it was all hands on deck to assist in anyway we could. I don't know who initiated this but as the corpsman were readying themselves to be lifted up there, Marines of 2/3 started making stretchers for us to take with us out of their blouses turned inside out and fastened with bamboo poles. They knew they'd never see there camo blouses again but that didn't matter, I know it's of little relavence but it shows how much they cared to do that, I was and still am proud of those guys. Being part of the recovery team that day effected me in ways that can't be explained, but hopefully made me a better person but at a cost that never should have been paid.

wolf11, it has been more than a year since you posted regarding the October 21, 1977 helicopter crash. You mentioned Sgt. Smith who took your place, etc. I believe he may have been my brother David G. Smith. If so, he would not ever want a fellow Marine to feel badly about performing his duty. I wish I could offer you more comfort than that. Little Sister

Thread Information