Info About a 1977 Helicopter Crash - Page 12
Create Post
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    I remember standing on the flight deck of the USS New Orleans and watching the plume of smoke coming up from the jungle. Anyone who wishes to E me may do so directly at jimhouston@hotmail.com

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    From all accounts it is a miracle that any of you survived. I hope your injuries were not too bad. Holiday Blessings to you and your family.

I was on the New Orleans, I helped transport those that did not survive. Very sad day, very sad.

Happy Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by september 23 View Post
    From all accounts it is a miracle that any of you survived. I hope your injuries were not too bad. Holiday Blessings to you and your family.
    The injuries were life threatening at the time however, I was as high spirited then as I am now. Happy Holidays to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedlane View Post
    The injuries were life threatening at the time however, I was as high spirited then as I am now. Happy Holidays to you as well.
    Lane, I've been trying to remember the name of a Marine that I served on mess duty with that the Camp Schwab chow hall who was killed on that bird.

I think I've got it, but I'm not exactly sure and thought I'd see if you might remember.

From what I remember, he was a rather big guy and I think he was either Hawaiin or Samoan and was a Lcpl at the time. Really good guy. I know those details are sketchy, but does any of that ring a bell? Would you have any pics of the folks in your unit that was on that bird?

I probably met you and every one of those guys at one time or another, since I was the guy who dished out the duece gear at Bn Supply. Sadly, I also had to sort through some of the personal effects of some of them when we went back to Schwab.

Thanks and Semper Fi to you and your son!!!

helo crash Mindoro

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was in motor t on or near the beach. We heard about it and couldn't believe it. I think of those guys from time to time. Semper Fi

I was there...operation "fortress lightning" Oct of 1977.

I was there during operation "fortress lightning" in Oct of 1977. I was stationed aboard the USS New Orleans and was a Marine Sgt. newly assigned with Kilo Co. 3/4 under the command of Capt. Felasco. I was also part of the rescue and recovery effort. I was on the ground and saw the aftermath of the crash. Elements of my unit were one of the first to get there. I don't want to share details here, but I recall the Co-Pilot (an African American 1st. Lt. if my memory is correct) survived and was able to walk out. It was a tragic loss that affected us all. I served with Sgt. Matsen who knew many of the 9th. Marines who were lost that day. My heart goes out to you and the families of our brothers who died that day. I know this post was started some time ago. Perhaps you have the answers you were seeking. God bless you. cesmoot@aol.com

Ch-53

cesmoot, Thank you for sharing your memories of that fateful day and Merry Christmas......Hardguy

No purple hearts losses were not due to enemy action.

I was the chaplain assigned to 3/9. Col. Stableford was the new CO having just arrived a month or two before the crash. I recall he was devastated by this tragedy. Major Willis was the XO. Quite a character who I remember fondly.
    I was with many of these young men the Sunday before the crash. We spent the week together in what I recall was oppressive heat. I held a church service in the field attended by many who lost their lives. I recall that the topic of my sermon that day was finding happiness and peace in the moment. I recall quoting a verse from 2 Peter which states that one day to God is 1000 years to men. I then equated that to 1 hour of God's time is 42 years of our time and that it was important that we find peace and happiness now, because no one is guaranteed how much time we will be given in this life. Of course, none of us knew that in just days, some of these wonderful young men would die.
    I went to the beach on an earlier helicopter the day of the accident. LIke everyone else, I saw the column of smoke and boarded the next helicopter to the crash site. IT was in steep terrain and I remember the locals helping clear things out with machetes. I will never forget the scene or the heroic efforts of the rescuers. My recollection is that 13 survived of the 37 on board.
    Most of us had been together 10 months and were looking forward to going home before Christmas. Mindoro was the last stop of a five month deployment and we returned to Camp Schwab.
    I think often of my year with 3/9. Not only were their deaths tragic, but the contributions they would have made to their country and their families are dealry missed.

God bless all of you.
    Jim Stubblefield

Thanks for your post Chaplain, and thank you for your service and for the part you had in their lives, it had to be a blessing for them all. May God Bless you as well.

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Semper Fi everyone, I just found this site today, and saw this thread.

I was in Subic Bay with Bn Supply, H&S Co, 3/9 when it happened.

I knew 2 who were on board, a big Hawaiian or Samoan guy (cannot remember his name) whom I pulled mess duty with in Camp Schwab, he was killed in the crash. The other was Michael Kane. I flew with him from Ft Hamilton in Brooklyn to SC and on to Parris Island, where we were in boot camp in the same Platoon (185). Kane survived the crash. From the way I remember it, he was injured (broken arm or leg), but somehow managed to get to a top of a hill, met someone there (rescue team?), saluted and said "I'm a gunji mutha f-----r, sir!"

The explaination I heard after it happened, is the 53 was fully loaded with Marines with full combat gear and alice packs, and in addition the 53 was carrying a water buffalo via cable below it. The cable snapped, whipped back up at the tail rotor, causing the 53 to lose control and rotate, ejecting several Marines out the back, and then subsequently rolled down a hill.

After it occured, I was ordered to Mindoro (nervously via 53) for the sole purpose of banding what was left of the 2 turbines and tail rotor stem to a couple of pallets. I believe those were the largest and/or most recognizable parts left of the accident.

My heart goes out to everyone who lost a Marine on that flight.

Semper Fi....

Ken Maddis

PS: Kane......you still around?
    This is Michael Kane from the helo crash in 1977. I am new to forums and am looking for a way to contact ameriken. Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Click on his name and send either a private message or email..

Got it! SF

Helicopter Crash Oct 21,1977

i was on that chopper and im looking for any other marines that were too.
    im looking for ssgt john workman/workmen who was my platoon sgt 2nd platoon
    india co 3rd battalion 9th regiment 3rd marine div 1977. it would the world to get
    in touch with him, i was pfc michael kane, he was on it as well.

(edited thread name to make it easier to read)

Last edited by ChuckH; 01-31-12 at 12:24 PM.

Thread Information