Info About a 1977 Helicopter Crash - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

I finally visited an old friend

Sorry its been so long checking back on this site, I found a site when I googled from suzzana inquiring of her Uncle she never knew Cpl Owen Hallam. As a young man under Cpl Hallam's command I got to know a great man who became my friend and mentor. I miss him so much, He was just a good man, much wiser and smarter than someone that young. Last summer I started googling cemetaries to try and find my friend. I got lucky and found him listed in a cemetary in Waynsburg Pa. I rode there and as I walked through I thought how am I ever going to find him in this big place, then i noticed the flag and his name. It took me 31 years but I finally visited my friend Cpl. Owen Hallam. While sadness overwhelmed me Especially when I saw he was buried next to his mom who also died very young. I couldn't help but wonder how his family was, hoping they had found peace. I sat there looking out over the hillside at the beautiful view. I have been back a few times since I took my 15 yr old son to visit. We just sat on that beautiful hillside quiet and peaceful. I only knew Cpl. Hallam for a year, but this man in that year touched my life like very few others. God Bless all
    Brian
    My e-mail change it is brian1125@comcast.net

John sorry brother my new e-mail is brian1125@comcast.net Hope your doing ok . Shoot me an e-mail when you can.

Brian

Suzzanna Hi, we spoke briefly awhile back via e-mail. I hope you are doing well, and I hope this site can help you locate more people who knew your uncle. I think about you guys from time to time and just want you know you have a great HERO in your Uncle and aways believe one day you will meet your hero in heaven.

God Bless Brian

Mindoro

Hey Marines, I was a Ssgt with the screw crew on Mindoro on that awlful day. My heart goes out to all that has to suffer and remember. We were just getting ready to fly back to the New Orleans when the news came. The best i can remember is that the water buffalo was suppose to be empty but it had been full. Before the crew could cut the cargo cable the tail rotor shaft failed. I heard both stories that the YF went into the side of a mountain, and that it went over the cliff. I don't know for i was in camp. Any info can be sent to leohimes@yahoo.com or on Facebook Happy 4th and always remember what we are celebrating

Quote Originally Posted by brian1125 View Post
    Suzzanna Hi, we spoke briefly awhile back via e-mail. I hope you are doing well, and I hope this site can help you locate more people who knew your uncle. I think about you guys from time to time and just want you know you have a great HERO in your Uncle and aways believe one day you will meet your hero in heaven.

God Bless Brian

Brian, I do remember exchanging emails with you. They have mean't a lot to me. We buried my Grandfather (Owen's father) back in the Spring and I thought of you when we were at the graveside service. Glad you were able to visit Owen's grave.

CH-53 Crash 1977

I was there on the flight deck of the USS New Orleans the day 462 lost one. If anybody wants info I will supply what I can which is not much. Former US Marine Sgt "Hardguy" Houston HMM-165 (composite)

I still have the newspaper article from the Navy Times.

Hmm-165

I was there on the USS New Orleans e me at jimhouston@hotmail.com

Oct 21 is on my mind again. So many years ago, so many lives lost, so many lives ruined. May God Bless them all.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

October 21

It is a comfort to me to have such a wonderful group of people to honor those lost, injured, and those who still struggle on this day and to help each other get through it. You have all been a blessing to me and you are in my thoughts today along with my husband, Sgt. Charles "Andy" Anderson. God bless all of you.

I was there that terrible day in our Corps history, I was suppose to be on that bird but circumstances changed it. I still have dreams of it and those who died as some were friends in my Co. Never forget Sgt. Brown, If memory serves me right he was to be discharged in 30-40 days, Layne was a friend, god was with him that day for he was spared. After all these yrs whenever I see, hear a copter I'm assured to have a dream ( PTSD ), I remember some flipping us off when bording, we were the bad guys so was there longer, 2 showers,many c-rations and crotch rot like no tomorrow, The Corpman gave us dessenex ointment for it, danced around like lil monkeys. I know they all in the Marine Barracks in the sky with Chesty,Dan and Smedley getting ready for the Marine Corp Ball/Birthday, I think alot of you my fallen brothers and know that I will always be Semper Fi !!

I was part of the recovery effort as well. I was a SGt with MWCS-18 out of Camp Butler. I was down at the crash site from just about 10 minutes or after the Chopper went down. I was at the site for a very long time...until sometime the next day. The General from 3rd MarDiv frew me off the Mnt top where the Chopper got in trouble in the first place in his Huey. I believe I was the last on out of the recovery. Very tragic and sory for your loss. I may have seen some of the guys when I was on the New Orleans but I did not know any of them.

I appreciate the treatment, I was one of the survivors you probably helped. They flew me to you before going on to Clark Hospital.

No, purple hearts are only awarded during time of war.

I just happened onto this site this morning. Really good to see so much dialogue in regards to this day in my memory. I am PFC Lane, EN. I was fortunate to wake up wrapped around a tree 10/21/77. I've managed to wake up every day since. I still think of my brothers and try and honor them with a good life. I now have a 23 year old Marine Corp E4 son.

I'd be happy to answer any questions or share any info...

Thread Information