Info About a 1977 Helicopter Crash - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Aloha!

I have often wondered about this crash as I, too, was there in 1977.

This was on the Island of Mindoro.

I was assigned to the Shore Party platoon, LSU Golf, as an electrician. We were Hawai'i based Marines (1st MarBde) and this was the first WESTPAC deployment of Hawai'i based units in many years.

We had learned of the crash earlier in the day.
    As dusk fell a call went out for a floodlight unit and I was sent up with the floodlight to the hilltop were the recovery was being directed.
    The floodlight was carried external by a CH-53 and I was on board. The pilot was able to drop off the floodlight but the hilltop was too small to safely land a'53 on... so we flew back down to the LZ and I boarded a CH-46 that was going back up with more supplies.
    It was heart wrenching to know that these Marines had perished.
    It was known that the 'bird was fully loaded with troops and also carrying a full "water buffalo"externally. What we couldn't figure out is why the crew chief didn't just cut the external load loose.
    I have Googled this info before but always came up with zilch.
    I am glad to have found this site and to know that so many remember what happened.

SGT Harris USMC 1975 - 80

He did try and cut the buffalo loose, both crewmen dove at the cable and were yanking on it. The buffalo came loose and smashed into the ground but at the same time the tail rotor dug in. That was right before it turned into an E ticket ride, the damage was done. I know this only because I was sitting at the Hell Hole and had a perfect view of everything.

I too was there. I came over in BLT 2/3 with Bravo battery 1/12 on the USS Duluth. I was a scout observer out with the infantry. I heard that it was caused by over loading, specifically an external “Water Buffalo”. Either way it was horrible, and the tales from the site were not good. We were sitting across a valley and could see the wreckage and the smoke plume. I think it happened towards the end of field exorcise after it had been extended. Lots of heat casualties. I still feel for those Marines. I now have a son in the Navy and one in the Army. Semper Fi. Rich Woodburn

Thank you all very much for this thread. Bill Casey was a close friend of mine. I've often wondered about that day, Bill was my deck Sgt. in Tenn. and roomie in Ca. before he left for the Rock. I just joined and found this link a couple of days ago and glad to see these MARINES ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!!
    Semper Fi!! Too all Marines and Marine family,
    Steve N Cpl. 361 Avi. 75-79

I was with Radio Platoon, H & S Company, 7th Comm. Bn. during Operation Fortress Lightning. I literally watched that Ch-53 go down no more than a click away from where our LST dropped us off. That particular tragic incident was my own personal reveille call.

Semper Fi brothers....

Quote Originally Posted by RNeal 2531 View Post
    I was with Radio Platoon, H & S Company, 7th Comm. Bn. during Operation Fortress Lightning. I literally watched that Ch-53 go down no more than a click away from where our LST dropped us off. That particular tragic incident was my own personal reveille call.

Semper Fi brothers....
    My Brother, please fill out your profile so we can reach out to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sscjoe View Post
    My Brother, please fill out your profile so we can reach out to you.
    Apologies. It's been a while since I last visited this site. Hopefully my profile is up to date now.

USS Barbour County

Quote Originally Posted by 7th Comm Bn View Post
    In Remembrance of my fallen brothers who gave the ultimate sacrifice in training for the defense of our nation in Operation Fortress Lightning - Mindoro Beach, Republic of Phillipines - October 21, 1977.

Although I didn't personally know the Marines and Sailors who lost their lives on that mountainside that swelteringly hot and humid day - I was there as part of that exercise - and I'll never forget the pall that tragedy, that took place on our (my battalion's) first full day of the Marine amphibious brigade exercise, cast over the remainder of the operation.

My unit (HqCo., 7th Communications Battalion- 3rd MarDiv) had arrived the day before with Task Group 76 aboard the USS Barbour County LST-1195 after leaving Buckner Bay, Okinawa on (or about) October 13th.

As a LCpl, I was a Telephone & Switchboard Repairman (2811). Having been trained for maintanence on one of the high-tech (at that time) TRC vans, I was assigned to the CP area to work inside the Communications (telephone) van. Leading up to the events of October 21st, my most vivid memory of Mindoro is that it was hot! The day we arrived, and all through that night, it was so hot and humid that I remember sweating just laying in my cot that first night trying to get some sleep. We had a tent, you know, with the mosquito netting around your cot. The mosquitos were huge malaria-carrying buggers.

I remember being awokened that morning by the screaming sound of Harriers low-flying directly above our tents! Man...it sounded like they were about 1o feet above us! That got the juices flowing...

When we stepped out into the sunlight...it felt like it was instantly 100 degrees plus! and 100% humidity...sticky. Fortunately for me, the van I worked in was air-conditioned! It had to be designed that way to keep the printed circuit boards cool.

We had barely gotten started, it seems, when we heard the explosion and saw the tuft of smoke rise above the mountain. Then the news of the crash came down to us, and that lives had been lost in a helicopter crash. A pall came over the whole CP area as grim-faced Lieutenants, Captains, Warrant Officers, and Colonels seemed to instantly have more in common with Sergeants, Corporals, and Privates.

But more than a pall...a comraderie...a resolve overcame the men taking part in that Operation...A resolve to rededicate ourselves to a man to complete that mission successfully...to do the best we could do at whatever was our assigned tasks. To not let the sacrifice of those men's lives be in vain. We grew up that day...and we bonded as a unit.

When we were back on board ship after the mission was completed, there was a moving memorial held on the parade deck for the men who lost their lives on Mindoro.

My prayers still go out to their families and their fellow Marines, Sailors, and friends. They died as Marines...serving their country...
    I pray you can take solace in that.
    Godspeed to those men...
    And Godspeed to you.
    I was also with 7th Comm Bn. on board the USS Barbour County during Operation Fortress Lightning. I was a field radio operator (2531) with Radio Platoon, H&S Company back then. The tragedy that unfolded that day has been burnt into my memory for all of eternity. I was amazed to find so many fellow Marines and Sailors who remember that day. God Bless each and every one of you....

Roger, out....

I was in Lima 3/9 weapons platoon before they went on float. I knew Sgt Smith Sgt White, Ernnsberger (who could forget his beautiful girl pinned up on his cubicle)Hancock, Those were my fellow machine gunners. Sgt Smith transferred me out of the platoon when word came that the 4th marines at Hanson needed machine gunners. I begged Sgt Smith at the time to get some one else..I wanted to go on float with my buddies, I trained at CTA and NTA with em I deserved it. Little did I know the sad fate I had escaped at the time. I saw the 53 lose control, saw the water buffalo drop, saw it crash and the plumes of black smoke billowing from the jungle trees. They brought the killed up to my hill for another chopper ride to my ship USS New Orleans LPH they put the bodies in a reefer that served as a temp morgue. I volunteeered for the seven gun salute off our flight deck. I remember it like yesterdat I am John Huttner I was a PFC I picked up lance with 3/4 and CPl later on anyone want to talk : johnhuttner@sbcglobal.net

Choper crash mindoro77

Quote Originally Posted by MrTeeTyme View Post
    I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I'm looking for information about a helicopter crash my brother, Lance Cpl. Steven Bowman was killed in. From what I remember it was a CH53 helicopter crash on Oct. 20 or 21, 1977. I believe it was in the Philippines. It killed 24 of the 37 onboard.

Does anyone remember this and know where I can find more information about it?

Thanks.

John
    You can contact me at johnhuttner@sbcglobal.net

I was in your brothers unit butwas transferred before the unit went on float. I was on the adjacent hill and watched the crash.

Naval Gunfire Officer attached to 3/9

Please let me send my prayers to all of you affected by the helicopter crash in the Philippines in 1977.

I was a Naval Gunfire Officer in the artillery battalion 2/12 and we were attached to 3/9 Marine Unit. I was in another helicopter that night as we were in our training mission.

My last memory is standing next to our Unit Chaplain who was a Mormon and a very spiritual guy as we were watching the backpacks and personal effects lined up to go home to the victims loved ones. We prayed that day in the Philippines for each one of the men who were serving their country.

I considered it an honor to serve with the Marine Corps and had developed an enormous respect for the courage and values of the Marines in my Naval Gunfire Support Unit and the men of 3/9.

I have some old pictures that I want to go through if I any are pertinent I can send them on to any of you who may want them.

God Bless....I just turned 60 years old last month but can remember that day in the Philippines as if it was yesterday.

Navgunoff1977-
    Thank you for your post. You may have known Captain Ferguson, an F-4 pilot and ALO for H&S 3/4, who coordinated aircraft communications at the top of the hill that day.
    On those pictures: many of us would be grateful if you were to scan and post them to the Facebook page Mindoro Island.
    J. Petito

Hello:

I kind of found this sight by accident while doing a search for this accident, I was also there that day and watched along with my radio operator when the CH 53 and all the men on board crashed on that mountain top. I was a forward observer at the time with 2nd bn 3rd marines attached to fox company, we were on top of another ridge at the time getting ready to move out. My self and the radio operator had moved a little ways down the side of the ridge and were finishing up our equipment check and battery change for the radio. We had a couple minutes to spare before we moved out so we sat down and had a smoke, we were sitting there and we could see on the other mountain top a CH 53 moving into position to pick something up. When the CH 53 started up with the load we could see it was a water buffalo, when the wheels of the tank cleared the ground the tank swung out quite violently; when that happened the nose of the helicopter went into a nose down attitude toward the ground. It was at this point the CH 53 went out of control and to our horror crashed.

The one thing that haunts me about that day was a few seconds before they lost control was our radio came on and someone said either were going down or it’s going down. I don’t know to this day if there was a radio operator on that CH 53 trying to get a message out or if it was someone on the ground. I do know that after the crash that voice did not come back on the radio. I talked to several other radio operators that day and know one else heard that message. I remember watching the rescue operations for most of the day from a clearing they had moved us to and I also remember the silence and sadness among all the men that day.

20 some years after that day I was at work and met a new guy there when we were outside, we got to talking and found out he was also in the marines during the time I was. Well to my surprise he was one of the survivors of that crash, I believe his last name is ward. He shared some of the story with me and I could tell it was painful for him to talk about so I changed the subject. We didn’t get a chance to talk to much after that meeting as the place we worked was so big. We always said hello to each other in passing but never talked about that day again. There hasn’t been a day I haven’t thought about that moment in time or the men that died that day especially in the last 10 years. I was really shocked and amazed that other people were still feeling the things I do about that day and how many people were brought together. Those men my fellow brothers will always be remembered, and many thanks to the others that shared their thoughts about that day.

Semper Fi

Thanks to Gloria for letting me know about this thread.

My uncle, Owen Hallam was one of the Marines who died in this crash. Never had the privilege of meeting him because I was not yet born. Never-the-less he is one of my heroes. If any of you knew him it would be great to hear from you.

Thread Information