Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My eyes are leaking...

What a wonderful post.

Replies: 226
    Views: 69,679

God Bless...

Brian Mrozek Please contact me I was the Cpl Hall. It has been a long time. I had not been on this for a long time and had talked to Steve Bowman's brother John a few times in the past. I still remember these Marines like it was just yesterday. Call me if you would at *********** or anyone else that wants to talk. I became more at ease with this after talking to John. Thank you John. Sorry for all we lost and for the loved one left behind. Sgt Smith just had a new born he was suppose to meet in Subic Bay when we were to return. He took my place as My Lt wanted me with him on the first flight. This has also not been easy to live with but we all have to keep going and make the most out of life but never forgetting. Semper Fi Marines

Last edited by Rocky C; 05-27-14 at 04:52 PM. Reason: No personal contact info on an open forum. Please use the private message function.

1977 CH 53 Carsh report

Quote Originally Posted by MrTeeTyme View Post
    In Oct 2009 I made an inquiry to the Navy requesting a copy of the official report of this mishap. After a few initial correspondences, I finally heard back from the NavSafeCen today. They offered me the choice of a summary within a few weeks or a full report with all enclosures in 4-6 months. I opted for the full report. I will share it with this forum when I receive it.

Can you contact me at:

mosteve57@gmail.com

Thanks

Steven C. Stacy.

My name is Thomas Hall, I was 3rd Sqd Ldr. I was a Cpl at the time. I have already been in contact with Brian Mrozak and it was great talking to him after all these years. Do you remember him or myself?

Lcpl Gulbranson ,My name is Thomas Hall, I was 3rd Sqd Ldr. I was a Cpl at the time. I have already been in contact with Brian Mrozak and it was great talking to him after all these years. Do you remember him or myself?

My name is Tamara Copeland. I am an American that is feeling very blessed right now. This article and the brotherhood of all you fine gentlemen has given me a deeper appreciation for my brother's service in the Marines. While he did not serve in 1977 he did serve in Desert Storm and everytime he came home it was a celebration. My heart goes out to all of you who were never able to have that celebration with your loved ones that dreadful day.
    Much Respect and love - Tamara

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    In loving memory of Sgt. Charles Anderson and all who perished this day in 1977. Love to the families. Gratitude to the rescue teams. Gratitude to all who visit this site. Thank you. Gloria Anderson Goss

Remembering you Gloria, your Charles Anderson, and all the Marines and families related to that day.

Credits
    Savings
    Gloria, you are still an early bird. I was certain I would see your name today and happy to see your post. Has it been 12 years since I met you here? When I think of Operation Fortress Lightning, your name and Terrence Gebhardt immediately comes to mind as well. Time does heal wounds but our loved ones and good friends are never forgotten. I will never forget you Gloria.
    God Bless,
    MAP

My heart and mind were with my brother, Lcpl Steven Bowman, and our Marine brothers and sisters of this site yesterday. I shed a tear every Oct 21 for all of us.

Facebook page:

Mindoro Island October 21st. 1977

It's a day that impacted us near and far. The details remain fresh and I say a prayer for them when I think back on the friends and loved one lost that day.
    We will never forget, Semper Fi

My name is Mike Malachowsky. I was the Platoon Commander for 2nd Plt, I/3/9 on that fateful day. I just found this site the other day. We lost so many good Marines that day & the vision of standing there watching that bird go down is as clear as if it just happened. I truly loved the Marines in that platoon & I think of them often! I retired in 2006 as a Colonel & although this may sound strange, I've always felt that those Marines we lost have been looking out for the rest of us. God bless those of you who survived, & may God rest of the souls of those Marines who left us on that very tragic day!!// Semper Fi, Mike

My name is Gary Matthews, I'm a retired CWO5. on 21 October 1977 I was the "Right Guide" then Sgt Matthews for 2nd Platoon, India Company, 3/9 on Mindoro, PI. Lt Mike Malachowsky was the Platoon Commander, SSgt Workman the Platoon Sgt.

Sgt Smith from Lima Company and I pitched our tents in sort of what was Lima and India's HQ. The night before Sgt Smith made a deal with me. If a CH46 came in, I was to take his spot since he had crashed so many times in Vietnam he didn't want to get on one again. If a CH53 came, it was his bird. We put our 1st Squad's on the first 53 that came in, the second one, Sgt Smith boarded. Life is so fleeting and sometimes only by chance do we survive. I think of Sgt Smith, the USO Marine of the Year, often, very often. All I do, and all I've done in many ways I owe to him.

Our Platoon had three survivors, SSgt Workman, LCpl Jacobson, and PFC Kane.

I am thankful to Col Malachowsky for pointing this site out to me. Although the memories are painful, we do well to ALWAYS REMEMBER. Semper Fi, GMM

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Click image for larger version

Name:	USMC_Operation Fortress Lightening_10-77.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	28565

Thread Information