Info About a 1977 Helicopter Crash - Page 14
Create Post
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Memorial Day 2012

With respect and love remembering those lost, family and survivors.

I cant believe i see this after 34 years. I was a l/Cpl in 3rd Plt lima co 3/9 at that time. I remember Cpl Owen Hallem was one of the casualities. He and i were in C Co, 1/5 and went to Oki at the same time . The previous posts have brought back a flood of memories that i did not know i had. Standing in the Valley looking up at the smoke coming over the hills, Finding out it part of L co was on the chopper. I volunteered to go up there with others to pull security on the hill and seeing the body bags being filled with the recovered weapons, The memorial service on the beach later.
    May God bless them and their Families

I checked in to my new shop at HMH-462 at Futima OK the day the news of the crash hit home. A sad day indeed. I was a S/SGT in the QA shop there.

The late 70's were a bad time for Marine Aviation. There were many of these types of crashes, though none as tragic as this. The aircraft we flew were rag tag at times due to post war budget cuts.

In this case, like any other air crash, there were multiple factors at play: the CH53 could over power its tail rotor, and the water buffalo was supposed to be empty.

God bless America, our beloved Corps, and our brothers who perished that day.

In Oct 2009 I made an inquiry to the Navy requesting a copy of the official report of this mishap. After a few initial correspondences, I finally heard back from the NavSafeCen today. They offered me the choice of a summary within a few weeks or a full report with all enclosures in 4-6 months. I opted for the full report. I will share it with this forum when I receive it.

Wait? You made this inquiry in October 2009? And they got back to you today? To tell you it will take 4-6 months for a full report? Do you suppose they should have had one by now? My guess is, the 'real' story will stay amongst the ranks and the 'official report' will be sent to you...in 4-6 months. There were many variables that could have gone differently that day. A combination of error in judgement and equipment failures...A bad day for all of us there. It would be interesting to see what the official report says about it. Keep us posted MrTeeTyme. Semper-Fi!

CH-53 Crash in Okinawa in 1977

I just found this story and wanted to add that I knew the Pilot and Co-Pilot of the CH-53. Capt's John Crapse and George Gebhardt and I (a Supply Officer) were all stationed together at HMH-461 in New River, NC in 1975-1976. I was with MAG-15 in Iwakuni, Japan when the crash occured.

Mey they be forever remembered.

Pat
    Lt, USMC, 1973-1977

Quote Originally Posted by sjlibra View Post
    I just found this story and wanted to add that I knew the Pilot and Co-Pilot of the CH-53. Capt's John Crapse and George Gebhardt and I (a Supply Officer) were all stationed together at HMH-461 in New River, NC in 1975-1976. I was with MAG-15 in Iwakuni, Japan when the crash occured.

Mey they be forever remembered.

Pat
    Lt, USMC, 1973-1977
    LT, since you knew the Capt, I thought you might like to know there is a facebook group "Mindoro Island" that was set up by another Leatherneck members specifically as a memorial to the crash.

One of the members is Roi Crapse (brother?) of Capt Crapse, just in case you want to hook up. There are also other Marines who survived the crash, were there at the scene, or who were somehow connected to the crash, as well as surviving family members. Here's the link to the group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/156185791023/

Semper Fi

Thank you for the update

Semper Fi

Pat

I was a sgt attached to HMM 165 aboard the New Orleans. I was a crew chief / mechanic / QA I would be interested in any information you have on the crash I retired as a MgySgt 9 years ago but still stay in touch.
    Thanks
    Andy Brown

Credits
    Savings
    john, I recently transcribed the USMC limited use mishap reports from nov and dec 77. I may have tried to send copies before buy they were too hard to read in the poor condition and age they were in. If you still want them I have them now in a word document. If you still want this info will be glad to send it to you. May have to do it on FB don't know if I know how to do a word document here.

Remembering all the Marines and Sailors lost 35 years today, as well as the survivors, family, and friends. May God Bless you all. Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    In loving memory of Sgt. Charles Anderson and all the men lost or wounded on October 21st, 1977. Sending love and prayers to all touched by this event. Thank you all for being there for me too.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sgt. Anderson okinawa 1977.jpg‎
Views:	315
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	23696  

October 21,1977

35 years ago already since that terrible day.........Hardguy

I always think of friends lost on that crash, some I knew some I didn't know but still brothers in arms all. I was with wpns L 3/9 and had just been transfered out before the west pac as I had already done 13 months with India co and was on a 6 month extension with Lima. I learned of the news and friends lost later. I remember them and honor them every year. Semper Fi

Hi Jake,this is Jack Ernsberger,brother of CPL L H Ernsberger jr. Did you know my brother? He was killed in that crash that terrible day.A marine named Jake came to my fathers house, was that you?

Thread Information