Info About a 1977 Helicopter Crash - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

There also

I just found this group and thread. I was also in 3/4 with Joe Petito and on Mindoro that day. I believe that there were also others killed during Fortress Lightning, a sailor or two on one of the ships and a jet pilot who ejected into the ocean. I don't know if Joe remembers, but we later met two of the helicopter crash survivors on a bus from Camp Hansen to Kadena Hospital. Joe and I jumped with the Okinawa Marine Parachute Club and used to take the bus down to jump on weekends.

Dave

For those recently searching, see the Facebook page: Mindoro Island October 21st 1977, to connect, to remember, and remind everyone who serve and have served that that service is not in vain.

Jpetito

recon tl fist person on crash site

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Hi Gloria - Thanks for that - that is really nice. You said you were published in the Congressional Records - ? Would you have a copy of that? We would really be intereste d in seeing it -

Thanks
    My name is Paul Steele, I was team leader with the recon team sent to the site within minites of the crash and was the first person on the site, I have complete first man on site info and directed and set up all iniatial medical care and site work such as repell lines, evac lines, ect. I personaly free scaled the cliff immediatly upon arrival since the turrain was very steep and administered aid to All survivers and attempted to retrieve those trapped in the wreckage,my 7 man team was there withing 9 minites of the crash and many young men died in my arms , any information that I can provide to any survivors, family or comrads feel free to e.mail me, pmksteele@gmail.com

I was the recon tl, first person to get to site, 9 mins

My name is paul steele and was the recon team leader sent to the site to begin rescue and recovery, I was on the mountain within 9 minites and freescaled the revine immiediately and my self and my team of 7 went to work on the site with tending to the survivors, many who died in my arms, feel free to contact me pmksteele@gmail .com

Anyone seeking info on the 53 crash and the rescue and recovery and AA situation can email me at pmksteele@gmail.com . I was the first person to the crash site and free climed directly to the bird with my team from 3rd Recon Btln, Grim Reaper, would be interested in anyone with any connection . Paul M. Steele Semper Fi

Welcome aboard Paul. I just sent you a PM. Semper Fi

I was assigned to HMH-462 then and was preflighting YF-15 at the time of mishap. All aircrafts were grounded from flight due to mishap. Quick crew assembled for evac to site. Preliminary info was (1) was water buffalo empty as required when debarking to ship, (USS New Orleans) with full packs onboard, gross weight questionable. Downdraft off hill possibly effects forward flight control.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfernald View Post
    My name is Dennis Fernald and too was on the CH-53 that went down on 10/21/77 at about 1030am. I was with Lima 3/9. I would like copies of any pictures that might be available and look forewards to talking with fwellow survivors. I went to Clark Air Force Base with 7 others for treatment and I know that only 5 went to Subic Bay!

I just got onto this site tonight!

Semper fI, Dennis
    Dennis, shoot me a pm. I am in contact with L/Cpl Jacobsen

Joe

Dennis, I had a recent contact with Mike Kane, who also survived. PM me if you want his #.

Please join our Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...d=156185791023

Quote Originally Posted by DVDMAC View Post
    I was assigned to HMH-462 then and was preflighting YF-15 at the time of mishap. All aircrafts were grounded from flight due to mishap. Quick crew assembled for evac to site. Preliminary info was (1) was water buffalo empty as required when debarking to ship, (USS New Orleans) with full packs onboard, gross weight questionable. Downdraft off hill possibly effects forward flight control.

Gloria: Back in Oct, 77 I was a L/Cpl assigned to HMH-462 flight line and deployed with S-1 clerk Sgt Anderson aboard the USS New Orleans. I and CPL Scott were preflighting YF-15 for flight when this mishap happened. I did not have a great deal of time to know him, but I do know he was a Sergeant of Marines. Semper Fidelis.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DVDMAC View Post
    Gloria: Back in Oct, 77 I was a L/Cpl assigned to HMH-462 flight line and deployed with S-1 clerk Sgt Anderson aboard the USS New Orleans. I and CPL Scott were preflighting YF-15 for flight when this mishap happened. I did not have a great deal of time to know him, but I do know he was a Sergeant of Marines. Semper Fidelis.
    wow, thank you so much for letting me know. He was very tall, 6'3' and I always hoped some time I would have contact with someone who remembered him. It is just nice to know. I have the big group picture of HMH 462 "Screw Crew" taken April 1977 with the helicopter in the background. I don't know if everyone got one or if it was something you had to buy. Chuck was very proud of it. Are you in it? Would you like a copy if you don't have it. Let me know. again, thank you, gloria

Gloria-

Many of us would very much like to see your photo. Please see this link:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...d=156185791023

Joe Petito

Quote Originally Posted by september 23 View Post
    wow, thank you so much for letting me know. He was very tall, 6'3' and I always hoped some time I would have contact with someone who remembered him. It is just nice to know. I have the big group picture of HMH 462 "Screw Crew" taken April 1977 with the helicopter in the background. I don't know if everyone got one or if it was something you had to buy. Chuck was very proud of it. Are you in it? Would you like a copy if you don't have it. Let me know. again, thank you, gloria
    Gloria: Yes I have one of those "Screw Crew" photos. I'm located in the third row up and the 7th Marine in from the right. I've got my arms crossed in front. Being that was my first WESTPAC tour, I took some photos of the sqadron and ports of calm. I'd be glad to share with you if you would like. I'm on FaceBook or you can send a message to dvdmac@socket.net. After my tour overseas was up, I got orders to HMX-1. Served on the Green side in the engine shop up in Larsons Gym building. Take the best of care. David

I was there -- I am sorry I cannot remember the HAC's name. Before the MAFLEX landing; he had been a stateroom mate aboard USS Duluth, LPD-6 for one evening before D-Day. I was assigned to BLT 2/3 / 31st MAU, his 53 sqdn augmented our task force -- we were stationed at Kaneohe MCAS, his unit augmented from Okinawa, When the mishap occurred, I was on another hill about 2-3 clicks away and I am afraid I saw nothing more than the smoke from the accident. Later, I heard discussion about how the accident occurred, it was both very hot and humid, there were 39 aboard, 4 crew and 35 pax. I believe the investigation put the cause at loss of lift due to loss of tail rotor effectiveness / main rotor overspeed. My recollection is that 35 of 39 unfortunately perished -- 34 USMC, 1 USN. Years later I read an article us USNAVAIR Approach (or NA News, I cannot remember exactly which pub) that described the mishap in detail. Those lost were not elligible for hearts because we were not engaged with enemy forces at the time.

Thread Information