Tryon takes 2nd Marine helm
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
June 21, 2008 - 12:08AM
JENNIFER HLAD
DAILY NEWS STAFF

As 6,000 Marines stood in formation on Camp Lejeune's W.P.T. Hill Field, Maj. Gen. Walter E. Gaskin solemnly passed the colors of the 2nd Marine Division to Maj. Gen. Richard T. Tryon.

Then the two men - who have known each other since they were Marine captains - broke into smiles and exchanged a friendly handshake.

Gaskin officially relinquished command of the "Follow Me" division Friday morning, thanking his friends, family and fellow Marines for their support during his two years at the helm.

"This is a moment of bittersweet," he said, calling the division "a community unlike any other community in this world."

In addition to serving as the commanding general of the division, Gaskin served as commanding general of II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) and led II MEF (Fwd) during a year-long deployment to Iraq's Anbar province as the commanding general of Multinational Forces - West.

Gaskin's tenure in Iraq and partnership with Iraqi security forces "resulted in a tenfold reduction of violence throughout the Al Anbar province in 2007, while nearly tripling the size of the Iraqi security forces ...." Marine Commandant Gen. James Conway wrote in a message to Gaskin. "You have made a positive and lasting impact on our nation's security and the future of Iraq."

Still, Gaskin reminded the crowd Friday, the progress came at a price. The division lost 53 Marines and sailors during his two years as commander, and 880 were injured, he said.

"Those 53 that paid the ultimate sacrifice did that for us," he said. "The price of freedom stands in front of you."

And though Gaskin said he is sobered by the thought that he can never return to the 2nd Marine Division, he is confident he leaves the unit in capable hands.

"There couldn't be a better Marine taking charge," Gaskin said.

Conway and Lt. Gen. Keith Stalder, commanding general of II MEF, expressed their support in messages read aloud during the ceremony.

"I have total confidence that your leadership will ensure continued success for the 2nd Marine Division in the global war against terrorism," Stalder said.

Tryon said he is excited to be back at Camp Lejeune, where he has served multiple tours during his career.

"Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning," he said. "This is a very, very special occasion for this Marine and the Tryon family."

Gaskin and the members of the 2nd Marine Division "have set the bar incredibly high," he said.

Shortly before the thousands of assembled Marines and sailors marched by in a "pass in review," Tryon told them they look "magnificent."

"I pledge to you the full measure of my professional capabilities, as we move forward in the next illustrious chapter of the 2nd Marine Division," he said.

Contact interactive content editor Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie