Could I do this at boot camp?
Create Post

Could I do this at boot camp?

I was wanting to know if, at boot camp, I could attend Catholic services (though at this time I am a Protestant)? I don't want to go into too many details because it's a personal religious matter, but I have had questions about my Protestant faith, and I have been learning about the Catholic Church the past few months. I have just been wondering if I HAD to attend Protestant services at Parris Island or if I could attend Catholic services.
    Thanks and God bless!

Lol. In case you forgot, this is AMERICA! You don't have to do a damn thing you don't want to do, unless it either impedes or harms another person and his rights, or it's taxes, lol.

"Yes there are, I was the Scribe for my Platoon so I had to make the list of which recruits were going to what services. (I don't recall how many there are.) If you are not the scribe, then standby and then talk to your Scribe when they have the info on what services are available and when. Other than that, you can pray or whatever in your own way until you graduate, then go from there."

Posted by http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=48019 on this thread... http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...raining+church

Also, this sort of question seems like it should be in the "Ask a Marine" forum, not the Poolee forum.

Hope that helps.

You can goto any service you want if it's offered, or none at all.

However, I'd highly recommend going. They teach some good stuff.

You could go to any type of service you choose, when I was in boot camp-I went in not practicing anything...by my 1st month in FRP, I started praying to each religion...they go as far as wiccan...so it is really on you...

I reccommend going, it really uplifted my moral & the moral of the recruits I went with...Hope that helps!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You'll be glad to go to either one just to get away from the DI's for a while.

I'm Protestant and I always went to Catholic Mass. To me God is God and I'll worship in the ways that I see fit regardless of service type. I like you wanted to research into the Catholic faith since I was told where I would be attending for the greater part of my life. Do what your comfortable with.

I agree with the previous posts. When I went through PI in the 80's if you wanted to attend a different faith, e.g. Catholic, protestant, etc, you had to let your Senior DI know, and they would make arrangements accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by jahhead88 View Post
    I agree with the previous posts. When I went through PI in the 80's if you wanted to attend a different faith, e.g. Catholic, protestant, etc, you had to let your Senior DI know, and they would make arrangements accordingly.
    Thanks for the information! That's really what I have been wondering!

Quote Originally Posted by Auwe76 View Post
    Lol. In case you forgot, this is AMERICA! You don't have to do a damn thing you don't want to do, unless it either impedes or harms another person and his rights, or it's taxes, lol.
    When my father went to boot camp in 1943 there were only three choices: Catholic, Jewish or Protestant. For those who did not want to attend services, they had to stay in the barracks and read the Bible to the Drill Instructor. Nothing like the "good old days."

Thread Information