ASVAB and MOS
Create Post

Thread: ASVAB and MOS

ASVAB and MOS

I went to my recruiter for the first time the other day to talk about signing up for DEP. I took a surprise exam that they gave me and I got a perfect score on it. They told me that if I get a really high score on the ASVAB like that they probably wont put me into an 03XX MOS like i want.(I want 0311)

I talked to another recruiter and he told me something different. He told me that I have a good chance of getting 0317 Scout Sniper with a high ASVAB score.

So i want to know if I get a very good score on the ASVAB, would that lessen my chance of getting any 03XX MOS? Even 0317 Scout Sniper?

I searched this on the forums but didn't find anything so if this was asked already, sorry.

No, your recruiters may try to point you toward other MOSs but if you truly want to go 03 then you can go 03 as long as there is a slot (and there always is).

Getting to 0317 is up to the needs of the Corps. You choose the MOS designator (03xx= Infantry, 28xx= Electronics/Calibration, you get the idea), the Corps has the ultimate say in your job.

When I joined, I chose the 2800 field and there were 5 or so sub-levels of that: 2841, 2871, 2874, etc. I could have been put in any one of those 5 jobs, but I put in as a 2871 (TMDE Repair).

Hope that helps.

Dwyer,

Funny, I have a friend named Dwyer in the Corps now. Your recruiter was only half right. With a high asvab score which is what you will take at MEPS your first trip down there, will determine what you will "qualify" for. You ultimately will have a choice to make as OB MSG said as far as your "group" of job opportunities say. If you choose 03xx field, you can go to SOI wanting to be an 0311, but you will ultimately be at the mercy of the corps. If you score higher than someone else, they might make you an 0381, morters, or even an 0331, or 0351. You will even get the opportunity to take a screening for MARSOC and if you pass all your qualifications there, you can be an 0321 (Reconnaissance Marine). If you want to be a Scout Sniper, you also have to shoot expert at the Rifle Range, and also have to have a certain GT score from the ASVAB, and you also need to have a good PFT. You do ultimately choose your fate in the Corps.

Basically, just don't take no for an answer to be an 03xx if that's what you want to do. Get everything you want in writing. If it's not in writing, tell them you don't want to sign into anything you don't want to do, unless it's in writing.

I hope that helps. I'd give more information, but I'm currently limited to information by being deployed to Iraq. B

Ok thanks for the help guys. That does help me. Ill go back to the recruiter this weekend and hopefully sign into dep with a 03XX

Thread Information